Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hmm... Odd.
Well, the source material is in the PD... Maybe feedbooks or Munseys or some other site might have the individual stories. For that matter, there might be other compilations at Kindle...
Most of it is ONLY in the public domain in the US, so unless the previous poster lives in a country which includes the "rule of the shorter term" in its copyright law, it won't be legally available to him.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #137
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
On Baen fantasy: Baen sells Glen Cook's Dread Empire series (published by Nightshade), not only much cheaper than Amazon, Kobo etc., but without their geographic restrictions either.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #138
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Crapski. More to add to my TBR-list.

Maybe all authors should just stop writing until I catch up
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #139
Tonycole
Tonycole is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Sony ereaders, Kindle and Nooks
The death of Books On Board is a very sad and lousy development for us, the consumers of ebooks. As many of you have pointed out, BoB offered a wonderful range of ebooks, at prices (mostly) that were competitive, and those wonderful discounts and "rewards".
I bought ebooks from them from the very beginning of my time as a user of ereaders, and never regretted dealing with them. They were always quick to respond to any complaints, problems or other cries for help I might send them as well.
And as with the rapidly dieing out bricks and mortar bookshops as well, we are rapidly heading towards a sort of monopoly situation between Amazon, Google, and a few others, which has to be a bad thing as well. As with grocery stores, we need the ebook equivalent of Ma and Pa corner stores to keep the whole thing in balance.
Tonycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #140
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycole View Post
The death of Books On Board is a very sad and lousy development for us, the consumers of ebooks. As many of you have pointed out, BoB offered a wonderful range of ebooks, at prices (mostly) that were competitive, and those wonderful discounts and "rewards".
You can also look at it that these wonderful discounts and "rewards" was the reason they did not survive...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #141
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You can also look at it that these wonderful discounts and "rewards" was the reason they did not survive...
It could certainly be one of the reasons. When agency pricing started ending it kind of blew me away that they were not just coming close to the big stores like Amazon, but often blowing them away on pricing.

Another thing was that pretty much every marketing email I got from them was all romance and erotica. Now I don't have a problem with those genres and I know it's one of the top selling genres for ebooks, if not number one. I do know though that it made some folks perceive that that was all they sold and not even give them a thought when shopping.

I'm sure it was multiple things. We have no idea if it was a well run company or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #142
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I know the romance and erotica focus was one reason why I stopped using them. I don't often read in those genres, and I found it hard to get past them to the books that interested me, so I eventually gave up.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #143
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
BoB has let their security certificate. expire.

Quote:
This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to www.booksonboard.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

www.booksonboard.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 06/05/2013 01:54 PM. The current time is 06/12/2013 10:55 AM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)
If you have not backup your ebooks from booksonboard, do so now. Letting the security certificate expire usually means that the web site is close to shutting down.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #144
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
BoB has let their security certificate. expire.
I noticed that earlier today when I was checking its status. The fat lady is in the wings.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #145
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I noticed that earlier today when I was checking its status. The fat lady is in the wings.
...And humming.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #146
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
She has already sung and the credits are rolling.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #147
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
She has already sung and the credits are rolling.
Yeah, we're just waiting for the post-credits scene of the Avengers eating shawarma.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #148
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I wonder if they tried selling the business before shutting down.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #149
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is this the wake then? BOB sure saved me some money. RIP BOB
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #150
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I only picked up a few free books from them. Never spent a dime there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote