Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #91
tomek.sergey
tomek.sergey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
The font Calibri won't work

Hello to all,
thank you , ixtab, for the excellent hack !
Almost all fonts are installed correctly and being changed by the hack except my favourite font Calibri. This font is distributed with Win7 (calibri.ttf, calibrii.ttf, calibrib.ttf, calibriz.ttf).
Ixtab, could you look at this font and try to install it with your hack? Opposite the font name the exclamation sign in a triangle is displayd. If I try to touch on the font's name, it says "The font is not properly initialized blah blah". I press Yes, though the text "Framework should be restarted" in the upper part of the screen is not shown.
tomek.sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #92
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
If you get the exclamation sign, it means that the font is in principle valid, but not initialized yet. Initialize it, then rebuild the font cache and restart the framework.

The messages at the top of the screen are informational only. They are meant to alert you if some change you did will *probably* require a particular action. You can ignore these messages if you want; just as well, you can, whenever you feel like doing so, use the "System" tab to rebuild the cache or restart the framework .

Last edited by ixtab; 03-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #93
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@tomek.sergey: If you keep having problems, please contact me via PM and include a copy of the font folder you're using.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #94
ixtab
(offline)

Thanks to tomek.sergey, I got my hands on the "Calibri" font files. I verified that this font is indeed causing problems: Even just running mkfontscale results in a segfault on the Kindle, which is an indicator that most probably, something is seriously wrong with this font.

Even after running mkfontscale/mkfontdir on another system, and creating the other required metadata files by hand (so that the Kindle at least acknowledges the existence of the font), it will still not display properly.

So the conclusion is: Calibri is incompatible with the KT.

This MAY be applicable to other Microsoft fonts as well (i.e., I wouldn't be surprised at all).

Last edited by ixtab; 03-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #95
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
ixtab, I know this is a bit off-topic, but while you're at it, could you think of an easy way to make the L/R margins smaller?

I know, always asking for more...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #96
ixtab
(offline)

You mean this?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74#post1968874

I know it's not exactly trivial, but then again, it's not terribly complicated either... and it works.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #97
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Yes, I do mean that. That'll make a nice opportunity to get into the nitty gritty part (for me anyway) of hacking. Thanks for the pointer!
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #98
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Just listened NiLuje'd advice and uploaded my DejaVu fonts so you can use on ixtab's Font Hack.
Hope other people upload their fonts so we can exchange them. We can eve start thinking in a new thread with *New Fonts for Kindle Touch*, or something alike.
By the way, they look very good on K Touch.

Enjoy
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #99
jglerner
Connoisseur

The files!

Attached Files
File Type: zip DejaVu Serif.zip (750.9 KB, 1365 views)
File Type: zip DejaVu Serif Condensed.zip (719.7 KB, 1235 views)
File Type: zip DejaVu Sans Mono.zip (658.8 KB, 1125 views)
File Type: zip DejaVu Sans Condensed.zip (1.16 MB, 1183 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #100
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
Hope other people upload their fonts so we can exchange them. We can eve start thinking in a new thread with *New Fonts for Kindle Touch*, or something alike.
I'd suggest to link to them from the Wiki page instead. Threads tend to get buried sooner or later, and it becomes hard to find information in the forum.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #101
jglerner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I'd suggest to link to them from the Wiki page instead. Threads tend to get buried sooner or later, and it becomes hard to find information in the forum.

I second your advice but I'm not the best person to deal with wikis (euphemistic definition for : -I don't know anything about this subject!), so, if someone can take care of that, please, be my guest!

PS: Just published on wiki, a tentative text, linking to post #99 of this thread. I still stand you can edit/modify in accordance of best understanding.

Last edited by jglerner; 03-05-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Linked DejaVu fonts on wiki to this thread post #99
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #102
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello.
It seems I have some problems with fonts installation.
I have successfully installed 'font hack' extension.
But I don't have any fonts listed in the 'Overview' tab in the application.
There's the message "No fonts found in directory "fonthack".

is it correct to put the created font directories into /mnt/us/fonthack?
I messed up smth there I guess.
Please give more descriptive instructions. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by varnie; 03-05-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #103
ixtab
(offline)

Yes, put the font directories into /mnt/us/fonthack, then restart the application.

The message is meant for "normal" end users, who connect their Kindle to the PC as a USB drive... and for them, it's just the "fonthack" directory
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #104
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Them as in noobs.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #105
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
thank you, ixtab.
your fonthack works well.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks