Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #61
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
azuwis was right, I've added a LF to packages.lst and was able to create a BIN file for the DX Graphite. I just ran the first script under Ubuntu.

However, I understand there is a change NiLuJe's jailbreak doesn't work, and we need to use Yifanlu's? My DXG has been jailbroken with NiLuJe's jail break 0.6. Yifanlu's, would that be 0.4, last updated 11/02/28?
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@tekkasit: Argh. Yep, you're right, fixing that right now, and it probably affects a bunch of other hacks, too. >_<"

EDIT: v0.7.N should now *really* play nice with this .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #63
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
Yifanlu, I didn't see any bin in the /output folder in my K3?

I found only 2 files, 48.4 Mbyte corrupted tts-files.tar and
make-package.log.

Wed Apr 20 19:31:18 SGT 2011: checking for enough free space to continue
Wed Apr 20 19:31:18 SGT 2011: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.17613
Wed Apr 20 19:31:18 SGT 2011: retrieving filelist and patches
Wed Apr 20 19:31:18 SGT 2011: saving required files to /tmp/.save-root.17613.tar
Wed Apr 20 19:31:18 SGT 2011: removing old files from rootfs image
Wed Apr 20 19:31:24 SGT 2011: copying new files to rootfs image
Wed Apr 20 19:38:57 SGT 2011: saving tts files

Any suggestion?
Yea, see the known bugs on the first post and the readme. For some reason, TTS saving crashes every time. The first post and readme shows how you can bypass it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #64
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
First I want to thank Yifanlu for an impressing work both with the jailbreak and this promising enterprise. I have a Kindle DXG with firmware 2.5.8 and serial B009 and a Kindle 3, 3G+Wifi with firmware 3.1 and serial B00A. I am so annoyed that the DXG hasn´t got firmware 3.1 because it is much better.

I would like to try your hack but have two problems.

1. As azuwis pointed out "packages.lst in kindle-updater-beta2-src.zip has no EOF or new line, this lead to the missing update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin". Could someone recompile since I don´t know how to compile the source code on a Windows 7 machine.

2. I am afraid of bricking my Kindle DXG. How is it possible to restore old firmware if the new one doesn´t work. The instructions for restoring in the ReadMe file is given only for Linux. How would you do it in Windows 7.

Yifanlu, please continue with your excellent work. It would be fantastic to get a DXG with firmware 3.1. I don´t understand why Amazon doesn´t release it.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #65
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
First I want to thank Yifanlu for an impressing work both with the jailbreak and this promising enterprise. I have a Kindle DXG with firmware 2.5.8 and serial B009 and a Kindle 3, 3G+Wifi with firmware 3.1 and serial B00A. I am so annoyed that the DXG hasn´t got firmware 3.1 because it is much better.

I would like to try your hack but have two problems.

1. As azuwis pointed out "packages.lst in kindle-updater-beta2-src.zip has no EOF or new line, this lead to the missing update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin". Could someone recompile since I don´t know how to compile the source code on a Windows 7 machine.

2. I am afraid of bricking my Kindle DXG. How is it possible to restore old firmware if the new one doesn´t work. The instructions for restoring in the ReadMe file is given only for Linux. How would you do it in Windows 7.

Yifanlu, please continue with your excellent work. It would be fantastic to get a DXG with firmware 3.1. I don´t understand why Amazon doesn´t release it.
The reason I didn't compile it yet is because one tester found a bug that prevents the kindle from working. Good news is, he also tested the backup recovery process and it works, so it would be really hard to brick your kindle once you flash my custom kernel correctly. Even if you brick your kindle, you can now recover with the recovery package.
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #66
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This is true. I get the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" error right after successfully updating to 3.1, so it makes it so it won't boot (on a k2i).

The recovery kernel is freaking amazing though - yifanlu has his act together.
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #67
harkkam
harkkam began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DXG
Hi guys I am so glad to have found this post.

Currently I have a kindle DXG serial B009 and I have a linux machine.

I am willing to beta test but I dont have access to the 3.1 roofts image file.

Could someone be kind enough to PM it to me. I am hoping to get 3.1 running.

However in the updater file I downloaded from the 1st post of this thread I dont see a file for the DXG are there still bugs being worked out?
harkkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #68
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
yifanlu, I tried with 'NO_TTS' file (with no extension) put on the root, and overwrite with the original 'rootfs.img'. But it still failed at 'saving tts files'.

Sat Jul 31 08:10:31 SGT 2010: checking for enough free space to continue
Sat Jul 31 08:10:31 SGT 2010: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.5392
Sat Jul 31 08:10:31 SGT 2010: retrieving filelist and patches
Sat Jul 31 08:10:31 SGT 2010: saving required files to /tmp/.save-root.5392.tar
Sat Jul 31 08:10:31 SGT 2010: removing old files from rootfs image
Sat Jul 31 08:10:36 SGT 2010: copying new files to rootfs image
Sat Jul 31 08:17:39 SGT 2010: saving tts files

Do you have any suggestion?
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I've updated the packages to include DXG and changed the "keep file" list to include WAN firmware stuff.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #70
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks Yifanlu for the updated package. Step 1 to create rootfs image went well. Unfortunately I had similar problem as Tekkasit with step 2. Failed on saving TTS. Tried to reset and also put a "NO_TTS" file in root. Then it still ended prematurely with nothing in output folder except following make-package.log file:

Sat Jul 31 02:04:41 GMT+02:01 2010: checking for enough free space to continue
Sat Jul 31 02:04:41 GMT+02:01 2010: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.5400
Sat Jul 31 02:04:42 GMT+02:01 2010: retrieving filelist and patches
Sat Jul 31 02:04:42 GMT+02:01 2010: saving required files to /tmp/.save-root.5400.tar
Sat Jul 31 02:04:48 GMT+02:01 2010: removing old files from rootfs image
Sat Jul 31 02:04:52 GMT+02:01 2010: copying new files to rootfs image

I tried it two times with same results. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #71
qinbill
qinbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
I have a K3 3g+wifi outside US & Canada. I tried several times of create update. All failed:

I even put a NO_VALIDITY_CHECKS on the root. It wont work.

Sun Apr 24 01:46:59 EST 2011: checking for enough free space to continue
Sun Apr 24 01:46:59 EST 2011: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.6446
Sun Apr 24 01:47:02 EST 2011: retrieving filelist and patches
Sun Apr 24 01:47:02 EST 2011: device support files not found, exiting
Sun Apr 24 01:53:33 EST 2011: checking for enough free space to continue
Sun Apr 24 01:53:33 EST 2011: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.11146
Sun Apr 24 01:53:33 EST 2011: retrieving filelist and patches
Sun Apr 24 01:53:33 EST 2011: device support files not found, exiting
Sun Apr 24 02:16:17 EST 2011: checking for enough free space to continue
Sun Apr 24 02:16:17 EST 2011: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.8344
Sun Apr 24 02:16:17 EST 2011: retrieving filelist and patches
Sun Apr 24 02:16:17 EST 2011: device support files not found, exiting
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #72
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

It seems like you didn't use the new version of the prepare kindle package to generate the rootfs.img
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #73
DickeFix
Enthusiast

Yifanlu, I think I have found the main problem. The citation marks are missing when FILES are set to empty string in "copy_new_files()" procedure in file "make-package.ffs":

FILES=""
for file in ${SKIP_TTS_FILES}; do
/bin/umount /usr/share/nuance/data/$file
FILES="${FILES} data/$file"

I also found out that it seems to be important to not only replace the rootfs.img and do a reboot if Step 2 (Create updater) fails, but in addition do a software Restart by pressing Menu/Settings/Menu/Restart to try a fresh install. However, I am not sure if this is necessary now after inclusion of the missing citation marks.

I use Cygwin in Windows 7 with OpenSLL and Python packages to run the script to compile the binaries using "bash create_packages.sh". However, despite that the binaries in the beta2-2 version were compiled without error I couldn´t use them to update the Kindle (The Update option in the Settings menu was greyed out). I had to combine the make-package.ffs file from beta2-2 version with the create_packages.sh in alpha version to get binaries with Cygwin that were acceptable for the Kindle.

I am now creating the update package for the DXG on the non-US Kindle Wifi+3G. It has passed the critical "Saving tts files" stage and is currently compressing the image. I takes a loooong time but I am optimistic that it now finally will generate an update binary. Then I will try to update the DXG with it.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #74
DickeFix
Enthusiast

The creation of the update package was successful. However after installation of the package on the DXG the DXG booted only halfway after which "Your Kindle need repair"-error occured. At the right bottom it said "battery". Maybe it is procedures which are related to the battery which are incompatible since the DXG and Kindle 3 have different batteries.

Anyway, fortunately the recovery console worked and the DXG was put back to life with old 2.5.8 firmware. A software restart was necessary to also get the web browser to work again.

Would it be possible to upgrade firmware 2.5.8 with a smaller subset of v 3.1 e.g. only the webbrowser?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #75
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
The creation of the update package was successful. However after installation of the package on the DXG the DXG booted only halfway after which "Your Kindle need repair"-error occured. At the right bottom it said "battery". Maybe it is procedures which are related to the battery which are incompatible since the DXG and Kindle 3 have different batteries.

Anyway, fortunately the recovery console worked and the DXG was put back to life with old 2.5.8 firmware. A software restart was necessary to also get the web browser to work again.

Would it be possible to upgrade firmware 2.5.8 with a smaller subset of v 3.1 e.g. only the webbrowser?
Thanks for the tips! I have another tester who is getting the same error as you and I suspect that the cause is the firmware not reading the hardware battery voltage. Unfortunately, there is little I could do apart from blindly guessing at this point. I do not have a K2i or DX to test with, so it is hard to find out exactly what is wrong. Maybe if you (or anyone else) rip a copy of the /sys structure so I can see what the hardware structure is on the new Kindles, it could help a bit. I think doing something like "find /sys > /mnt/us/sys.txt" via SSH/usbNetwork/recovery port I've been scanning eBay for a while now trying to find a cheap broken K2i or DX to test with, but unfortunately, they're all > $40, which is too much. Right now, I know that it works 99% (just a bit of installer gliches) on the K2 US, but that's the only hardware I can test with.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-24-2011 at 10:31 AM.