Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast
AbominableDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Can't make a decision - Kindle or Sony

I've had a Sony PRS-505 for quite some time now. I've been trying to make a decision on a new ebook reader for the last few weeks and I just can't seem to make my mind up between the PRS-650 and the Kindle.

I love my 505. It's been a great first ebook reader and I really have no complaints about the whole Sony ebook ecosystem, other than it doesn't have quite as many titles as Amazon. The PRS-650 has some nice new features and retains a lot of what I liked about the PRS-505.

The Kindle 3, on the other hand, looks pretty impressive too. There's a lot I really like about it, but since I don't know anyone locally who has one I can't really give it much of a hands-on. Still, I'm really leaning towards giving the Kindle a chance since almost everything I read about it is positive.

My biggest concern, at the moment, is with ebook formatting. If I purchase an ebook in epub format and find formatting errors, typos, or any other problems, I can pretty easily open up the epub and fix them, and this makes my inner OCD sufferer happy. I've seen some complaints about various things like margin size and other issues with Amazon ebooks, and this leads me to believe my correction process might not be as easily done with Amazon's format.

Other than that, I'd also like to get input from other people who've previously owned Sony ebook readers and who have switched to (or at least have used) the Kindle 3 - how do you feel about the switch?

(I've done searches and seen some old threads that cover some of my questions; I'd like to see if there's anything new)
AbominableDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm a former Sony 505 user and LOVE my Kindle3! First off, the screen is gorgeous compared to the 505. I love the quick access to the dictionary (I had PRS+ on my 505 with a dictionary but it was a pain to look a word up) and note taking (for marking the typos). I've yet to read a Amazon purchased book, most of my books were non-drm epub that I just used Calibre to convert to mobi. When I go to fix typos I convert to epub, correct in Sigil, then use Calibre to convert the file back to mobi. I also bought the Amazon lighted cover and have to say it's wonderfully built and real leather unlike the fo-leather cover that came with my 505. I bought a 3-year Square Trade warranty for $19 on Amazon (as opposed to what Amazon sells which is more expensive and only 2-year). Overall I'm very happy and now my wife wants one (she wasn't impressed with the Sony)!

Almost forgot... my ONLY complaint is I was used to having more that one font per book (i.e. book title and chapter titles in Arial Bold and text in Times New Roman), BUT I don't miss it anymore. Plus the numerous font sizes are great (I'll be 40 soon). Also, Amazon has free books fairly often (I now have 361 freebies, some Public Domain but most aren't).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, do your books that weren't purchased from Amazon sync between devices? Like If you're reading it on your Kindle can you jump to Kindle for your phone and be on the same page?

I know you can do that for books you purchase from Amazon.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Try the 650 and you'll love it.
Don't believe you want a K3 after tasting the 650
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Abominable: The syncing is only available for books purchased within Amazon.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
SunnyE
SunnyE began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3G+WiFi
I am a long time Sony products user. Spent months research and hours in Sony story playing with Sony readers. Landed up buying Kindle a few weeks ago.
Many sites and blogs on comparison of two. Both are great and it boils down to few differences:

Kindle
1) Free 3G (freedom of buying books anytime anywhere)
2) Massive collection (ecosystem matters)
3) Lower price point - device and books (recurring cost)

Sony
1) Cool touchscreen
2) looks
3) Open format - if you care about library content, but many experienced users told me that a newbie thing, once you own the Kindle, you won't miss it. So far i agree with them.

I went back to Sony store after purchasing the Kindle and was glad to stick with my decision.
SunnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Try the 650 and you'll love it.
Don't believe you want a K3 after tasting the 650
Sky, you came to the wrong place. This is our new "I'm a convert, too" thread.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Had a PRS-3oo then moved to Kindle 3.
Now I am really happy with quality of product and usage.
Takes less than a minute to ordering book online to appearing on the Kindle, fantastic.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Sky, you came to the wrong place. This is our new "I'm a convert, too" thread.
I welcome comments from my Sony brethren, too, as long as it's something more than "Kindle sux, d00dz." And, I guess, as long as those comments don't violate any forum rules.

I thought about putting threads in both forums, actually, but didn't want to be too spammy. I put it here because I was already leaning towards the Kindle.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I had a Sony PRS 600 but I hated it! Well maybe "hated" is a bit strong but I'm afraid that it and me did not get on at all. Looked gorgeous but it was cold and slippy to hold, did not get on with the touchscreen (not like the touchscreen on my iphone which is awesome technology) and had a lot of problems with it freezing and rebooting.

Perhaps the best thing about the Sony was the fact that I could read library books on it which you can't do with the Kindle - well not without resorting to underhand methods which I'm not personally going to stoop to.

I sold the Sony off after maybe a month of use and bought a Kindle 2 international (now upgraded to Kindle 3) and I prefer having a physical keyboard instead of the touchscreen and the screen clarity on the Kindle is definitely streets ahead of the Sony 600 at least - perhaps the new Sony is way better.

But I wonder if you really would make a good Kindle convert when you say you like the Sony 505 so much? Especially if you have no problems with the Sony ecosystem as you say. I think Amazon have hands-down the biggest and best selection, certainly of modern ebooks - for classics you're best off looking elsewhere like here!

For me, Kindle was streets ahead. But I'm not so blind as to believe that one ebook reader suits everyone.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle beats Sony so far

My first eReader was the Sony PRS 505. My second was the Sony PRS 900. My third is the Kindle WiFi LG 3.

The latter is the best in my opinion. However, my wife uses the Sony PRS 900 now and I use the Kindle 3.

The major difference is syncing from PC to eReader and back. Kindle does it wirelessly while Sony requires it be done manually.

Plus, notes and highlights froze the Sony if too numerous. Kindle handles it without problems so far.

Kindle Bibles have Direct Verse Jump for rapid location of verses. Sony does not have this feature for their Bibles and makes their eReader worthless for Church and Bible Studies.

Also, Kindle has all their highlights and notes summarized at on online site for easy copying and use in chat rooms, documents and Bible Studies. Sony does not offer this feature at all.

Finally, reading on the Kindle 3 is much better than the Sony since it deals with light much better and does not reflect as much as the Sony.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Abominable: The syncing is only available for books purchased within Amazon.
Technically true. But syncing between non-Amazon mobi's is possible if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty. You can't sync notes and highlights, "but furthest page read" is certainly do-able with the right mobi headers. But, yeah... it won't work "out of the box."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I'm a former Sony 505 user and LOVE my Kindle3! First off, the screen is gorgeous compared to the 505. I love the quick access to the dictionary (I had PRS+ on my 505 with a dictionary but it was a pain to look a word up) and note taking (for marking the typos).
All that nice stuff you've mentioned pertains to the 650 as well. But one thing pertains to the 650 that doesn't pertain to the K3. The 650 is a lot easier to mark where your errors are that you want to fix then it is on a K3. Also, the dictionary on the 650 is faster and easier to use.

And one thing with the 650, you won't have to go converting to Mobipocket and also, you wont have to deal with the lovely left margin bug that the K3 has.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I have had both sony 500 and 600 and given a couple of them away . I found the battery life was very bad on the Sony especially now when I have compared it to the Kindle 3. Kindle 3 is so easy to use compared to Sony and a lot cheaper . It also has an archive of all your books so if your kindle crashes you still have your books.

I have found the books on Kindle are much cheaper than anywhere else and has a much bigger selection.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And one thing with the 650, you won't have to go converting to Mobipocket and also, you wont have to deal with the lovely left margin bug that the K3 has.
Yeah, the left margin bug is one of the things holding me back from the Kindle purchase.

Is the fix, as I've read, simply a matter of removing any margin-left directives in the epub's css before converting? Or something more than that?