Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan
romi began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Question Any reason to switch off

Hi everyone,

I set mine to 1 hour, after which it automatically switches off, and by default Bookeen sets it to less than that.

Anyone know of a reason why it'd be better to let it sleep than to leave it on?
I could pick up reading from where I left off faster.

Possibilities:
- strain on the display, even if minimal
- battery life (although very small difference I suppose as the display does not affect it, only keeping the book in memory)

Thanks for your input,

Roman
romi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Second one: battery life.

If you leave the unit on, even if it's in a sleepy state, it still takes some power. Not the screen though, but the processor needs power to be alive. Turning it off means it uses absolutely no power (other than maybe an internal clock?), and only the self-discharge of the battery occurs. I think someone said that turning the unit off and on again takes as much battery as ~15 minutes of idle time...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

I see. In that case it'd be good to know just how much different operations impact the battery. If ~15 mins of idle state is as much as turning it off and on, then idle state eats a lot. Oh well, people can always test for themselves I guess.

Thanks for your feedback Jellby!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romi View Post
If ~15 mins of idle state is as much as turning it off and on, then idle state eats a lot.
... or turning it off and on doesn't eat so much Let's say it updates the screen 4 times. If 4 refreshes equal 15 minutes, the claimed 8000 refreshes of battery life would equal 500 hours, that's almost three weeks of idling...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
- strain on the display, even if minimal
I don't think e-ink is sensitive to that. Not sure though.

Battery life yes. And when on, sometimes buttons are accidentally pushed when the reader is in the bag.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

Jellby, love that calculation o f yours! Very smart.

EowynCarter, yeah, would be nice to know for sure. I also believe the display is not sensitive to being left "on" for long periods of time.

Saving the battery may be a good idea though as there is no way to use the reader with external power (like iPods, which can be left on hooked to the charger and used forever).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Second one: battery life.
Is this really an issue? If it takes nearly a week to discharge it seems to me that you will get years of use of the battery.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is this really an issue? If it takes nearly a week to discharge it seems to me that you will get years of use of the battery.
I meant the time it takes the battery to discharge, not the time it takes the battery to be dead and useless and not accepting charge anymore. The latter is indeed several years, I've had my Cybook for more than two years, and the battery is still healthy.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I meant the time it takes the battery to discharge, not the time it takes the battery to be dead and useless and not accepting charge anymore. The latter is indeed several years, I've had my Cybook for more than two years, and the battery is still healthy.
Yes, but it will loose capacity even if you do not use it. So the important factor is if keeping it always on really will decrease the capacity significantly faster. I doubt it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romi View Post
Saving the battery may be a good idea though as there is no way to use the reader with external power
there's a workaround for reading while charging
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

Cool, I have my mind made up: always ON. It's a fantastic option, really. I switch off the device when I'm not reading for 4+ hours, anyway. Otherwise, I'll leave it on, ready to read instantly.

Option to set the standby time is yet another feature giving this device advantage over Kindle. [Though I'm still attracted to DX's large screen for those PDFs.]

Jellby: Friend of mine who got one of the first CyBook Gen3 devices already bought a replacement battery and is furious how little it lasts.

Elena: Ah, yes, that's a great workaround. It's good to know the life-span of the device is thus not limited to replacement batteries being around.

Nice Easter!
Roman
Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, but it will loose capacity even if you do not use it. So the important factor is if keeping it always on really will decrease the capacity significantly faster. I doubt it.
I think it actually will.

There are two factors which "age" a Lithium Ion battery:

1. A "natural" decay, which starts the first time it's charged. Typically a LiIon battery has a "lifetime" of perhaps 5-7 years.

2. A "charge cycle" decay. As well as its "natural" lifetime, the battery will lose a small amount of charge capacity for each charge cycle it goes through.

Item 1 will not be affected by leaving the CyBook turned on, but item 2 will, because you'll be charging it more often. After a year or two, a Cybook that's permanently turned on, and charged once a week, will almost certainly have a lower battery capacity than one that's turned off every night, and hence only goes through a charge cycle once a month.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote