Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
jml66
jml66 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Deleting kindle 3 completely ???

Hello, Is it possible to erase completely my K3 in order to start anew. I do not mean a simple reset but thoroughly deleting the system and reinstalling?
jml66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml66 View Post
Hello, Is it possible to erase completely my K3 in order to start anew. I do not mean a simple reset but thoroughly deleting the system and reinstalling?
You can do a factory reset and that will make everything like new. It's found in the settings menu.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
it is possible with this custom kernel but you have to take an image first to use it afterwards whenever you need a fresh start.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
it is possible with this custom kernel but you have to take an image first to use it afterwards whenever you need a fresh start.
That seems like a rather "over the top" solution, given that one can simply do a factory reset from the menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That seems like a rather "over the top" solution, given that one can simply do a factory reset from the menu.
Actually, resetting to factory default doesn't delete hacks and other changes on system folders, it only disables them and formats usb driver.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Actually, resetting to factory default doesn't delete hacks and other changes on system folders, it only disables them and formats usb driver.
Not a consideration, though, unless one has installed "hacks". The vast majority of people don't do so .
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
jml66

Factory defaults at fault

The reason why I want to erase is that the simple reset, or factory default command (which I've just tried once again to no avail)do not give me a working system: I cannot create collections and there is only one page on the settings menu. let me add that I did install Duokan at some point but only because and after some update (to 3.1 I believe) messed everything up. I gave up on Duokan because it is rather difficult to use the dictionary, I mean, to read html pages with all tags showing. other than that I installed no hack or jailbreak or app: nothing! Just Amazon's BS!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The reason why I want to erase is that the simple reset, or factory default command (which I've just tried once again to no avail)do not give me a working system: I cannot create collections and there is only one page on the settings menu.
That's because after you've done a factory reset, your Kindle is no longer registered. Once you've re-registered it by logging back in with your Amazon account details, you will be able to create collections and the "Settings" menu will expand to its normal 3 pages.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
jml66

Factory defaults at fault

The reason why I want to erase is that the simple reset, or factory default command (which I've just tried once again to no avail)do not give me a working system: I cannot create collections and there is only one page on the settings menu. let me add that I did install Duokan at some point but only because and after some update (to 3.1 I believe) messed everything up. I gave up on Duokan because it is rather difficult to use the dictionary, I mean, to read html pages with all tags showing. other than that I installed no hack or jailbreak or app: nothing! Just Amazon's BS!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please read what I said above:

THE REASON YOU CAN'T CREATE COLLECTIONS IS BECAUSE YOUR KINDLE IS NOT REGISTERED.

Is that clear enough?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
jml66

Thanks

It was that simple: let me "recover" from this and I'll jailbreak for good or swwitch to Duokan. I'm bloody tired of Amazon's dictatorship. I bought the device to read, not to screw around with petty bureaucrat 'moroneria'.
Thank you
Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I bought mine for reading and it's been great. Now tell us how you got into this "situation".
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Whups. Posted to the wrong thread. Really have nothing to say here. Sorry.

Last edited by catsittingstill; 12-11-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Posted to wrong thread by mistake.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote