Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've never seen a code of any kind come with any Palm I've ever had (and there have been a few) -- I think it means you have to have admin rights to the 'puter, but my familiarity with MacPuters is pretty thin.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #17
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Old monochrome Palms are still good e-readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad
From my own experience with Palm powered devices (IIIxe, m500, Clié SL-10) I would recommend a monochrome device (I never had a color one, avoided them till now ), they have a good battery life (I get about 8-12 hours reading time, depending on the battery set) and are quite cheap at eBay. If the device uses replaceble batteries, you can put in a spare set of rechargeables (or alkalines) and extend the runtime on the road, but there is a small chance of memory loss...
The backlight is ok to read in the dark.
I agree. The monochrome Palms have a big advantage over the newer power-sucking color Palms. The older ones use two AAA batteries that can be purchased anywhere in the world. My batteries usually lasted a month. Just try charging your color Palm while you are on a train in China!

Screen size is an issue you might be concerned with. The older Palms with the original screen size were very usable. I think the line length using a normal font was 40 characters. Of course you can use a larger font if you need to. I didn't need to unless the lighting was poor. Some of the newer Palms have a slightly smaller screen. I have a TRGpro with the larger screen. The Palm III and others of that era had the same size screen. I also have a M125. That class of Palm has a smaller screen. If you are going to get an older Palm you would do well to consider this.

The first Palms had good backlighting. Then they changed the backlighting to a reversed scheme. I didn't like it. I never use it. There is a hack that will reverse it again. I haven't tried it but others report success with it.

The ideal would be to get a Palm that has the larger mono screen and also takes some sort of memory card. The TRGpro uses Compact Flash. That way you can just connect a card reader to your Mac and put ebooks on it through the card. It is faster anyway.

Here is a table that will show you what to look for. It indicates screen size and connection method and memory expansion type for all of the older Palm models. I hope you find something you can enjoy.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui
The first Palms had good backlighting.
Nit-Picking Alert! True the first Palms had good backlighting, but their predecessors the Pilots, had no backlight at all, so be careful you don't get ahold of one of those, if you want the backlight.

Don't meant to be obnoxious, but I thought that needed clarification.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
A gizmologist . . .

A gizmologist is, by definition, never obnoxious
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #20
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I have a Palm IIIxe. It's gray-scale only, and holds 8MB. I have both the Palm Reader and Acrobat Reader installed, with plenty of space for books.

I certainly prefer the Palm Reader but the PDF reader is usable. There are lags between pages--probably a newer and higher horsepower Palm wouldn't have these problems.

I bought my Palm a couple of years ago at Fries for $50 (refurbished). I've seen them on eBay for less than $20.

By the way, the IIIxe uses AAA batteries. This is actually good news since you don't have to worry about buying a machine which can't hold a charge. I bought a set of 4 rechargable AAA batteries and a charger for $10. A charge lasts a good long while--unless you use the back lighting.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui
A gizmologist is, by definition, never obnoxious
Hmm ... maybe I should change my title to "Obnoxious Gizmologist" then ....
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #22
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Palm M500 will take a 64MB SD card. So you can fit quite a lot of books on it via Plucker etc. Battery life is very good.

Never tried a PDF, probably never will, so you'd have to ask someone else about that.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #23
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I think the Sony Clie NR70V is a good eBook reader.

- 480x320px Screen
- JogDail
- MemoryStick Support (up to 128MB / 2x128MB MS-Select)

Is available on ebay for about 60 EUR.
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hmm ... maybe I should change my title to "Obnoxious Gizmologist" then ....
That's why I went for yvanleterrible; then you know what to expect!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
justzisguyyknow
justzisguyyknow began at the beginning.

Device: cassiopeia a-11
Night of the Living Thread

Sorry to dig an old thread up -- I know it's bad manners -- but this thread was the reason I joined this forum. I found it looking up info on how to stuff a CF card into my A-11, and Google sent me here. I've ordered a PCMCIA/CF adapter, but I still have one question: is there a limit to the size of a Compact Flash card that an A-11 can access? ...No, make that two questions: what is the limit? (A simple 'yes' answer wouldn't be all that helpful.) I think it may be 1 gig, but then again, I've seen clues that it might be 2 gig. (Or maybe I'm wrong completely and it's waaaay lower -- this is 1997 technology, after all.)
Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone here knew. Then we can lay this moldy, shambling old thread to rest again. Remember: when shooting zombies, aim for the head. If you disable the head, you disable the thread that came back from the dead, thus putting it back to bed.
justzisguyyknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While I cannot answer your questions about the compact flash, I do want to say, it is much better to post in an old thread that relates to your post then it is to start a new one. You did very well digging up this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by justzisguyyknow View Post
Sorry to dig an old thread up -- I know it's bad manners -- but this thread was the reason I joined this forum. I found it looking up info on how to stuff a CF card into my A-11, and Google sent me here. I've ordered a PCMCIA/CF adapter, but I still have one question: is there a limit to the size of a Compact Flash card that an A-11 can access? ...No, make that two questions: what is the limit? (A simple 'yes' answer wouldn't be all that helpful.) I think it may be 1 gig, but then again, I've seen clues that it might be 2 gig. (Or maybe I'm wrong completely and it's waaaay lower -- this is 1997 technology, after all.)
Unlike SD, where the format changed from MMC (1GB max) to SD (2GB max) to SDHC (??? max), I don't believe that the "interface" of CF cards has changed over the years. The only question really is whether the A11 supports the FAT32 file system. If it does, there should be no max size. If it only supports the older FAT file system, then I believe that restricts you to a 2GB max size (I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #28
Flandry
Flandry began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus c860
This thread inspired me to go search for a Handera 330 on Ebay. I discovered that i had missed one for $39 earlier this month, and now i'm just sad.

I haven't had a device since my (tragically stolen) Handera that i was completely satisfied with.
Flandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #29
justzisguyyknow
justzisguyyknow began at the beginning.

Device: cassiopeia a-11
Dispatches from the year of Palming dangerously

Ah yes, the 2 GB FAT limit. I remember when I got a hard disk soooo big I had to divide it into two partitions. Yup, 2.5 gig. Anyway, I spent some more quality time with Google and found another message board with some more pertinent information. (What did we do before the Internet? Accost random strangers on the street?) FAT32 support wasn't introduced until WinCE (the name still makes me giggle) version 2.11. The batteries in my A-11 have gone dead with time, so I can' tell whether it got the upgrade until they charge, but in any case, I believe the ROM upgrade was only up to 2.0...and I doubt I have it, anyway.
So...definately a max of 2 gig. Now time to wonder if the machine will be able to read all of a 2 gig card. I know from my experience with mp3/mp4 players that the machine will sometimes have an arbitrary limit. I have an mp4 player that will only accept up to 1 gig cards...and needless to say, it's a lot newer than my A-11. I'd hate to buy an expensive CF card to find I have no use for it. But then I had a brainstorm: CF cards are physically larger than SD cards, aren't they? I wonder if someone makes an adapter? That way, I can try all sorts of sizes with SD cards I already have. Lo and behold, someone does. (Try searching with 'CF SD adapter' on eBay.) Only about 15 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than buying a $60 CF card I may not have a use for. Actually, they make an adapter that goes directly from SD to PCMCIA for about the same price...that knowledge comes a little too late for me, but maybe some other cyber-wanderer will come across this thread looking for help like I did. Thus, I'm trying to forge a nice, clear path. More details (like, for example, whether or not this works) as they happen. Thanks for the help.
justzisguyyknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #30
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapf! View Post
I think the Sony Clie NR70V is a good eBook reader.

- 480x320px Screen
- JogDail
- MemoryStick Support (up to 128MB / 2x128MB MS-Select)

Is available on ebay for about 60 EUR.
I can 2nd the Clie. I just scored an NX73v at a thrift store in Santa barbara for just $16....LOVE it as both a PDA and a ebook reader. It is small and can fit in my pocket.

It is essentially a Palm with a Sony name as it runs Palm OS 5.0.

Loaded up Mobipocket and some test books from Baen...reads well. With the color screen turned down it is still quite readable. And the likely 4ish year old origiinal battery is still giving about 2.5hrs battery life playing chess and about 2.5-3.5hrs reading. With a new battery they say I'll get a solid 5hrs. Of course replacing the battery is not a task for the timid...not to worry I have a plethera of hammers handy on my "operating table".

It also can be used while sitting in it's cradle so that helps battery life while working at my desk.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote