Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My Kobo due beginning of July

And I am excited about getting my first ebook reader. But, if you will excuse what I'm sure seems like a very simplistic question, what are the options outside of Kobo when it comes to purchasing books? Is B&N an option? Does anyone here have any experience with Kobo and Smashwords?
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I am in Canada so cannot purchase books only available in the US but I understood that you could load any epub book regardless of the source. There are many free sites including public libraries but so far the easiest method of attaining books is to shop from your desktop app...which will load when you first plug in your Kobo.

Enjoy.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I think the B&N epub books may be the only ones you can't use. I regularly use ADE to load other stores' books. The current software has some font resizing problems, but they may be solved for the US release. The Kobo actually handles three formats: the Kobo Shortcovers format, which may be Adobe Mobile technology, the epub format, with the font size problems, and PDF, which lacks reflow and crop to print in the current firmware. I have great hopes that the epub problems will be fixed soon; then the Kobo will be a great little reader.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes, any vendor selling ePubs either without DRM or with Adobe Digital Editions as DRM. No one has mentioned the Sony Ereader store or Fictionwise -- in addition vast number of titles here on Mobileread, Manybooks, Munseys and your local public library using Overdrive. Although Amazon probably has the largest selection of any single e-book seller, most titles are available in multiple formats. Between Kobo and the Sony store you have quite a choice. You can also check out international dealers like WH Smith in the UK; many titles are available cross-border.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
You mean we Kobo users can buy from Amazon?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
You mean we Kobo users can buy from Amazon?
If by "you" you meant "me", then, no. Amazon is my preferred source of ebooks -- but since Amazon doesn't offer ePub, you have to look elsewhere for Kobo. Many Amazon titles are available elsewhere; not everything, but a lot. My point was there are LOTS of commercial titles available for Kobo users -- far beyond "just Kobobooks.com" -- and lots available from non-commercial sources as well.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new kobo owner, where to buy books