Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Stop line wrapping at quotes at the end of a paragraph

Hi,
Basically, I'm getting annoyed with the epub renderers I use (mostly ADE, but also calibre's ebook viewer) choosing to wrap lines at an ending quote. Is there any CSS that would stop this behavior? Seems to mostly happen at the end of a paragraph.

example of what I mean:
Code:
    An example of how the remderers handle the mentioned
line wrapping. "this is a bit of dialog at the end of a paragraph
"
    A new paragraph starts here.
If anyone can shed some light on the matter, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've never seen ADE do that, nor calibre's viewer, and no viewer should.

Are you sure there aren't spaces before the quotation marks in the source file? Could you post a snippet of the xhtml where this happens?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
I've seen this phenomen too but as far as I can remember it happens only with typographical quotes, not with the ordinary quotes you find on your keyboard.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post

Are you sure there aren't spaces before the quotation marks in the source file? Could you post a snippet of the xhtml where this happens?
I took a quick screenshot on where it happens in the calibre ebook viewer. (see attachment for image.
The corresponding xhtml in the epub is:
Code:
...you know nothing about may get you in a lot of trouble.”</p>
<p class="calibre1">I must have
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
I've seen this phenomen too but as far as I can remember it happens only with typographical quotes, not with the ordinary quotes you find on your keyboard.
I haven't payed much attention to what kind of quotes it happens with, so you could be right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook-v-example.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	51488  
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's a bug/problem of the underlying XHTML renderer, there's nothing you can do with CSS. At most, you could insert a zero width joiner and hope for the best, but that's a really ugly patch.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure that none of my reading device do this. Sounds like a bug - along the lines of Bookeen's Mobi reader not regarding a dash as a valid place at which to break a line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I can't speak for Calibre's viewer, but ADE does this sometimes. And man, is it annoying...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote