Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your Favourite Genre (to read and write)
Science Fiction 33 56.90%
Fantasy 29 50.00%
Crime/Mystery/Thriller 15 25.86%
Romance 11 18.97%
Supernatural/Horror 13 22.41%
General/Mainstream 6 10.34%
Literary/Classics 9 15.52%
Other 10 17.24%
What's Genre mean? 0 0%
I don't believe in Genre, it's a ridiculous construct of marketing people. 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Your Favourite Genre?

I was thinking about this early on when I went for a walk. Seems to me that the early adopters of e-reading seem to be predominantly science-fiction fans. So what's your favourite genre to read, what is your favorite genre as a writer (examples of the best in Genre, please).

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-18-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:51 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I picked Fantasy. I like SF too but Fantasy doesn't have all that pesky science and fact-checking to get in the way of the story. I simply marvel at full on hard SF writers.
Yep - same here ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I voted for a few of the options, but there is so much missing that the poll is skewed sideways. Where are the genres of travel, art, politics, science, etc? Genre isn't necessarily fiction.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Mainly fantasy and a smidge of science fiction. I like horror and the classics too. Most of the politics stuff I read, I consider classics.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's tough to pick. Most of the best books I've read tend to blend a few genres together.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I like writing comedic Fantasy and SF. That way the stuff doesn;t have to hag together for anything but the puchline. Need an FTL? Globbonium 34 to the rescue!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I like writing comedic Fantasy and SF. That way the stuff doesn;t have to hag together for anything but the puchline. Need an FTL? Globbonium 34 to the rescue!

definitely in a genre of 'is own ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Most of the genres I read are not adopted. I would classify them as follows:

• Anthropology
• Cultural Studies
• History
• Philosophy
• General nonfiction
• so-called western classics (just beginning to start this)

The first three are long time standings for me. General nonfiction I only read once in a while but I enjoy them. These are usually NYT bestsellers or new notable nonfiction.

I don't like sci-fi or fantasy. I've never read a typical romance novels, most of which is for the heterosexual market.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I like reading product labels. I find them better written and more enthralling then most of the bestselling fiction authors out there...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Well, I'm surprised so far at the results. I'd thought science-fiction would be way out ahead and that Fantasy might tie with Supernatural/Horror. I expected Crime/Thriller/Mystery to be much higher, mirroring the popularity of this genre in the more traditional pbook outlets. Interesting stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well, I'm surprised so far at the results. I'd thought science-fiction would be way out ahead and that Fantasy might tie with Supernatural/Horror. I expected Crime/Thriller/Mystery to be much higher, mirroring the popularity of this genre in the more traditional pbook outlets. Interesting stuff.
Or maybe people just did not realize you could choose more than one alternative in the poll...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Or maybe people just did not realize you could choose more than one alternative in the poll...
That also could be it, should have put up a 'multiple-choice' flag in the post.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I like reading product labels. I find them better written and more enthralling then most of the bestselling fiction authors out there...

-MJ
I also find them the scariest reads that leave me thinking about it hours after....

:::EeRiE MuZic::::
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Most of the genres I read are not adopted. [...]
• Anthropology
• Cultural Studies
• History
• Philosophy
• General nonfiction
• so-called western classics (just beginning to start this)
[...]
Same here; I'd add
  • Psychology (several sud-divisions here)
  • Sociology (several sud-divisions here too)
  • Management "sciences"
  • Archaeology
not to mention sub-sub-divisions like : history of the sciences.
On the other hand, you maybe aren't beginning a PhD dissertation, are you?
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote