Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
WinHac
WinHac began at the beginning.

Device: eReader 505
Can't install sony ebook software Vista 64bit

Having trouble installing the sony software on my vista home preimum x64bit os. During the install process it says the wizard was interupted before the install could complete. Anyone have any ideas? I tried running as administrator.
WinHac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Have you read this thread?
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have the same problem on Vista x64. That thread is pretty much useless. There is one guy that says he could extract the files via command line but he did not post details and when I use the /? switch for the installer file on the command line it gives no option to just extract the files.

Sony's Connect website plainly states they support "Windows Vista". It does not make any distinction between 32 and 64bit versions.

EDIT: I emailed Sony tonight about this problem. I will let you know what they reply with, if they do.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 07-20-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I received a reply from Sony:

Quote:
I would like to inform you that the eBook Library Software is not supported by 64 bit operating system.
Nice of them to tell us, eh? Instead they plaster "we support Vista!" over their site. I emailed them back:

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response Martin. I am disappointed to hear you do not support Vista x64, do you have any plans to in the future, or an estimate when you might?

Also, I would suggest your web pages be updated to reflect this, or at least a help topic added. When you go to the Download link on the ebooks.connect.com website, on the right it clearly states it supports Vista, making no distinction that it actually only supports 32 bit versions of Vista. It is the same when I look at help topic number 95 - "Does the eBook Library Software support Windows Vista?". It does not state anything about not supporting Vista x64.

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

I found a way around this in another thread here. I wrote up some quick directions, here you go!

1. Download the eBook software.
2. Copy it to an easy location, like C:.
3. Go to a command window (Start -> Run -> Type "cmd")
4. Navigate to where you saved it, if you saved it on C:, just type "cd\" to go to the root of the C: drive.
5. Type the name of the file and a /a switch. Since the default name has spaces you'll need to use quotes. The command should look like this - "Ebook Library Installer" /a
6. Go through the prompts and it will ask you where to save the files, this installs the program where-ever you want, I just created a folder called SonyConnect.
7. It's all installed! Now it will not auto-create the icons for you, so if you want that, go to the next step.
8. The executable is in the folder \SonyConnect\program files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin (substitute SonyConnect for whatever you called your folder). Right-click and choose Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut). This will place an icon for it on your desktop.

All done!
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the MSI that is extracted from the eBook Library installer actually work to install it on Vista x64?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

No, that MSI in the root folder does not work, BUT you don't actually need to use it for anything, everything is already installed for you to use in the sub-folders. I have not tried to sync my Reader yet, but I was able to use the Connect store no problem but just running the executable I mentioned above.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The auto-sync doesn't work all that well to be honest. Either don't use auto-sync or just use manual-sync.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Installing the software on Vista 64 has been documented several times in multiple threads - a simple search with "sony vista 64 install" brings them all up.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Megatron, back when I was trying to fix this I did a search and didn't turn up anything.

Luckily now you can just read the sticky now posted to the top of this forum.

EDIT: Megatron, I ran your search, it returns 42 threads, not a single one contains a solution other than "downgrade Vista to 32bit" or "run a virtual machine".

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 08-06-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Funny... before this thread existed it was actually the second one in the list when you enter those search criteria:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+vista+install

With this thread, it appears as the third in the list.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Thanks Leaping Gnome. That worked well!
Does the software have the same functionality installed this way or is there somthing funky I should know about?
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
fekg
fekg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500, 505 & 700
I installed the previous version by installing on a x86 Windows VM and copying the files onto my x64 machine. For the latest release it looks like it also installs a windows service so it's not as simple.

I also tried opening the installer in Orca, but there's nothing obvious in the MSI database... still playing around trying to get 2.2 working on vista x64....
fekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check here for a solution.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
teendoc
teendoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but when I click on the shortcut I created, the only thing I get is something that says eBook reader has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution to this problem. Any ideas?
teendoc is offline   Reply With Quote