Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I did some googling and could not find Java that runs on android. What I did find is http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mobile.xml
It says:

Quote:
How do I get Java for Mobile?
Java capability for mobile devices is generally integrated by the device manufacturers. It is NOT available for download or installation by consumers. You need to check with your device manufacturer about availability of this technology in your device.
Looking at the settings for my Vox browser, one of them is "Enable Java". I just noticed that yesterday when checking the settings because it wasn't working properly and I found I'd accidentally unchecked it. Obviously, Java capability is integrated in the Vox and you don't have to do anything, just enable it.

I know on my PC I occasionally get prompted to update to the latest Java, but it makes no difference whether I update it or not. It's just another ploy to try and foist an unwanted toolbar on me if I'm not careful or spam me with unwanted software.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Works great. I don't have the battery issue some have mentioned.. I've left it in sleep for days, wifi on and I come back to it still functional and at 80% battery or so. I'd been using my cell for a while and ignoring the Vox but now I'm really enjoying it better.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
ZX81
ZX81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
The battery issue which some people have had may be the wireless sleep policy. You probably all rember this, but I'd forgottton until I installed a replacement image file which set up from scratch In order not to get SOD, we had to change the WiFi sleep policy to 'Never' i.e. still on when the Vox is sleeping.

If the battery is draining overnight in sleep mode, it may be worth checking your settings. It's been dealt with elsewhere, but for ease:

Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi settings

Press the menu touch-button and select 'Advanced'

Select Wi-Fi sleep policy and select 'When screen turns off' rather than 'Never'.
ZX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
ZX81 thanks for posting the menu route to wifi settings I had forgotten them myself. Checked and I have always had wifi set to disconnect when screen turns off.
Still wakes up for a brief second on a regular basis but with wifi turned off it seems to not drain the battery as quickly.
I need to get an app to monitor apps
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I am posting this in a new thread to make it more visible.
I did the battery disconnect as requested by ZX81
to see how it might affect SOD.
All it did was slide the plug back with a fingernail and place plug on top, did not mess with the battery. Left it this way 5 mins.
Wow. This worked for me too. And now that I think about it I did have one time where the battery dropped down to zero for unknown reasons and that might've been about the same time.

Whoohooo!!! I'm back in lust with my Vox.

BTW it's always on the charger when not in my hands. Dunno if that makes a difference to anything.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
BTW it's always on the charger when not in my hands. Dunno if that makes a difference to anything.
I used to worry about that too and would unplug it. However, I've noticed how hot the charger gets when it's not yet fully charged and how cool it is when it's 100%, so I don't worry anymore. The technology recognizes a full charge and doesn't attempt to overcharge.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can the moderator pin this post? At least until Kobo somehow fixes this problem in the software.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
Awch
Awch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Android HTC Touch, Kobo Vox
It worked. I can't believe it! Spectacular!! After months and months of frustration, this worked. Left it in sleep mode all day with wifi off and it woke right up with a full charge. Awesome!

Hard to believe that simply unplugging and plugging the battery back in was all it needed. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
Awch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
[edit]: And shame on kobo tech support/engineers for not figuring this out...
In their defense they were looking for a software problem of some sort. With some downloaded software that was somehow screwing something up. And that's exactly where I would've looked too. Note that I've been a computer programming since about 1979.

To link SOD with a battery being discharged to empty isn't something that would ever occur to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
In their defense they were looking for a software problem of some sort. With some downloaded software that was somehow screwing something up. And that's exactly where I would've looked too. Note that I've been a computer programming since about 1979.

To link SOD with a battery being discharged to empty isn't something that would ever occur to me.
My battery was never completely discharged.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
oldyellr
Evangelist

Since so many people have now found that disconnecting the battery cures the SOD, I'm wondering what the Kobo boffins think about this. There's been no official word. Does it always work? Maybe it doesn't and that's why they haven't said anything for fear of shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
JimGerlach
JimGerlach began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Works great. I don't have the battery issue some have mentioned.. I've left it in sleep for days, wifi on and I come back to it still functional and at 80% battery or so. I'd been using my cell for a while and ignoring the Vox but now I'm really enjoying it better.
Same experience for me. I like to read when I have a few minutes here or there. With SOD that was not possible since I had to power-down each time to save the battery and it was too much of a pain to go through the boot process each time I wanted to read for 5 minutes. Found I was using my Galaxy Nexus as a reader and leaving my Vox at home. Now with this simple fix I can use my Vox for days without having to charge the battery. First Google Play and now, finally, a fix for the SOD.

Many thanks to ZX81 for the fix and to GJSmith for this thread. Kudos!
JimGerlach is offline   Reply With Quote