Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Chapter 1 is now freshened up a bit.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #32
JamesMonaghan
JamesMonaghan began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Just read the new first chapter and one word... wow! An amazing change, reads so much better. On with the rest! I'll let you know what I think.
JamesMonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #33
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lethe is unpublished again until further revisions are implemented. July 1 will be the final release, ready or not.

Peregrin, the sequel to Xenolith, is in the structural revision stage, adjusting for pacing, tension and timeline. I'm aiming for early September Beta release, full release in early October.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #34
ASparrow
Addict

My trip to Ghana is postponed because my visa was denied three times by the consulate in New York. I'm making attempt number four, but this delay means that I may be in Africa till July 3 or so. I'd like to be around (or at least internet accessible) for Lethe's release, so I may have to adjust the date a bit, though probably only a matter of a few days.

My volunteer Beta readers have been very helpful so far in improving the novel, identifying dozens of errors, particularly in the first half of the book. Reviews have been mixed, however.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #35
ASparrow
Addict

Thanks to omk3, more than 70 additional changes and improvements have been made to Lethe and a new version has been uploaded to Smashwords (accessible only to Beta readers). In addition, a few small sections of dialog have been rewritten or deleted.

I'm still attempting to travel to Ghana and if my visa is awarded , I won't return until July 7, so my July 1 release date looks impossible. I'll be traveling up north in the land of $5 hotel rooms and sketchy internet access. I may have to shoot for July 10.

Early reviews of Lethe have been quite mixed, all across the board. But it's a book that I needed to get out of my system and I'm already moving on to the next. When I release Lethe, it will likely be for a minimal price, if any.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #36
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
It took me a while, but finally I too have finished reading Lethe

I liked the book, the premise was interesting, the imagining of the afterworld vivid, but for me it wasn’t a page-turner. It’s not that I believe every book should be a page-turner, but Lethe could have been one in my opinion. I’m sure it would benefit from some good editing, to make it tighter and crisper.

The pace picked up towards the end, and some questions were left unanswered. I generally like this kind of ending, where not everything is spelled out, but judging from the often superfluous detail in the rest of the book, I wasn’t expecting such an ending here. In comparison, it almost felt a little rushed.

All in all, a good premise and a good book, but one that could be much better with some changes IMHO.

Thank you A.Sparrow for sharing, and for inviting readers' advice
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #37
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
It took me a while, but finally I too have finished reading Lethe

I liked the book, the premise was interesting, the imagining of the afterworld vivid, but for me it wasn’t a page-turner. It’s not that I believe every book should be a page-turner, but Lethe could have been one in my opinion. I’m sure it would benefit from some good editing, to make it tighter and crisper.

The pace picked up towards the end, and some questions were left unanswered. I generally like this kind of ending, where not everything is spelled out, but judging from the often superfluous detail in the rest of the book, I wasn’t expecting such an ending here. In comparison, it almost felt a little rushed.

All in all, a good premise and a good book, but one that could be much better with some changes IMHO.

Thank you A.Sparrow for sharing, and for inviting readers' advice
Thanks for the help and advice! Your input has been invaluable.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
ASparrow
Addict

62+ more corrections to Lethe being uploaded to Smashwords as I write.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
ASparrow
Addict

Thank you all for your help.

The majority opinion (some conveyed to me privately) seems to be that, while some of you liked it (in some cases, a lot), Lethe is not fit for public consumption, so I'm suspending its release indefinitely. I'll let it stew over the summer and revisit it with a clear head. I'll leave it accessible on Smashwords for a few days longer in case someone late to the fray wants to sample it.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the copy / continuity editing.

On the good news front, I just received a multiple entry visa for Ghana today.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #40
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
On the good news front, I just received a multiple entry visa for Ghana today.
Yea! Good news. Be safe.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #41
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
This is an interesting Idea. I might do it with the fourth book of my Haven series... But I'll have to get around to smashwords first.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #42
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
This is an interesting Idea. I might do it with the fourth book of my Haven series... But I'll have to get around to smashwords first.
I've gotten some great assistance and advice doing this, even (especially) from those who detest my work. It's amazing how many times I can go through a manuscript and think it's free of errors to have a beta make one pass and flag hundreds of mistakes (omk3 found >200 in the case of Lethe and other readers added even more).
Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #43
ASparrow
Addict

Off to Ghana tomorrow. I'm bringing a complete printout of Lethe with me for final edits. Expect an official release by the second week of July.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Have a nice trip
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote