Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've quit using the SD card

For the last 15 months I've been filling my 2Gb SD card with as many books and stories as I could harvest from the web. Some were .lrf and .epub, but most were .rtf and .pdf. I liked having a huge library available and didn't mind the large formatting times to load up .rtf and .pdf files. I didn't quite fill up the card and it was always great to impress people with the 1700 books/files on it. Still, the slowness was getting old.

Yesterday, while preparing to attend WorldCon, I decided to do two things: learn how to properly prepare an .rtf file for conversion to .lrf (and subsequently learn, by trial and error, the conversion settings I like on Calibre), and to only load up the main memory with the 20 novels and stories I'm likely to read in the next month.

Not having the SD card has sped up the 505 considerably. Having only .lrf files has made starting files and changing font sizes to be almost instantaneous. I am hoping that battery life will increase because of this change.

Eventually I will convert all of my library to .lrf and will fill up the SD card again, but I'll only slot it in if I'm bored with the choices in the main memory and don't have access to my laptop for quick file swaps.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Interesting. Makes me tempted to convert all of my PDF and EPUB into LRF myself!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I find the opposite to be true, .lrf load much more slowly on my 505 and are bigger in size too. I'm all .epub, nothing else at this end.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am preferring ePub because it means if I was to get another reader and it wasn't from Sony, it would at least have ADE on board and my ePub would still work. Plus, I use embedded fonts. And with ePub, I can get a nice looking font (I wuse Fontin and Fontin Sans) And I get more text per screen then I do with LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And with ePub, I can get a nice looking font (I wuse Fontin and Fontin Sans) And I get more text per screen then I do with LRF.
That's news to me. I'll look into it.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
That's news to me. I'll look into it.
You can do it even more easily with LRF - you can update the font used to render LRF/TXT/RTF with your own font, and all books will be using it immediately (rather than having to update each and every book as is the case of EPUB).

Just keep in mind that LRF is an end-format (you can't very well convert it to any other format), so keep the original files securely backed up for your future needs.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
You can do it even more easily with LRF - you can update the font used to render LRF/TXT/RTF with your own font, and all books will be using it immediately (rather than having to update each and every book as is the case of EPUB).

Just keep in mind that LRF is an end-format (you can't very well convert it to any other format), so keep the original files securely backed up for your future needs.
If you change the fonts that LRF uses, you will then have to also change the fonts that eBook Library uses and retransfer all the LRF eBooks once again to the Reader so you can get proper pagination based on the replaced fonts. ePub allows embedding easily and you can put the fonts you want directly on the Reader. And ePub does not slow down with embedded fonts. Plus when you embed fonts in ePub, you can then get true bold, true italics, and true bold/italics. Want a symbol font? Want a small caps font? No problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I used to have a bunch of books loaded on my SD card but again, I stopped using it. This was mainly because I didn't really need it.

I very rarely have problems with the speed though since I never really turn the device off - I only put it in standby.

The only time when loading is an issue is after I have added some books or hooked up to the USB for charging. Even then it doesn't bother me since this is done during a time I wouldn't be reading anyway!

I have however recently found that using the 505 as a Card Reader is great when I need to put something on my Archos and haven't got the device specific USB cable with me
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you change the fonts that LRF uses, you will then have to also change the fonts that eBook Library uses and retransfer all the LRF eBooks once again to the Reader so you can get proper pagination based on the replaced fonts. ePub allows embedding easily and you can put the fonts you want directly on the Reader. And ePub does not slow down with embedded fonts. Plus when you embed fonts in ePub, you can then get true bold, true italics, and true bold/italics. Want a symbol font? Want a small caps font? No problem.
Can you clarify a little bit more? I did do font hack on 505 and I do like LRF and I see italics and bold and other stuff when I load ebooks onto it in that format. I use calibre to convert my ebooks to LRF , and pages load fast.
I also have some ebooks in epub format too and they seem to work fine too. Are you saying that epub is better than LRF because there is no difference in load up times/format-zoom time/ page turns between the 2 formats on the 505. I have all my ebooks saved in seperate location so LRF is just used for the 505. I went with LRF format because others seem to suggest it was the best format for 505 and fastest to load stuff, is that wrong? You seem to suggest epub is better in every way, am I hearing you correctly?
What directory do you place your fonts in, I have a lot of them, so if you come back and say 'go epub" and LRF doesn't offer any advantages over epub I'll have to gather up my fonts and start a directory! I'm trying to get maximum battery life out the 505 and that is why I went with LRF format (because others seemed to say they experienced longer zoom formatting times and page formatting times with epub).

Last edited by richman; 07-31-2009 at 08:41 AM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
I use my SD card when I'm converting a bunch of eBooks and want to view them my PRS505 quickly to verify the quality of the conversion. That way I don't have to to disconnect the reader from the computer for each book.
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Interesting. Makes me tempted to convert all of my PDF and EPUB into LRF myself!
Nothing loads faster than custom-sized (and non-image [i.e.: proper text] based) PDFs. Converting your PDFs into LRF will be likely to leave you with the worst of both worlds.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote