Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
What tool set do you use?

I have been playing with eBooks for a while and have accumulated several tools I have found a use for. While looking at and reading books provided by others on this forum, I think that I could identify the creator by style and format. I have often wondered what tools they use to produce these eBooks.

I'll start with myself. Some of my tools are a carryover from former stints of laying code for money.

Book Designer. I think that this is the finest tool devised so far for editing eBooks. What you see is what you get. WYSIWYG. I believe that the authors have given up on changing and improving BD which is to be regretted. As it now stands, considerable time using and experimenting is needed to become proficient. Perhaps one of the talented writers from the forum will sometime produce a BD manual.

EditPadPro. A holdover from busier days. Very powerful and adjustable but not free. Not expensive. Eases the building and use of HTML tags.

RegExBuddy. Another holdover. Regular expressions were never my forte. Expedites building and testing regular expressions in an isolated environment. Again, not free but not expensive.

Mobipocket Creator. I originally used Creator to convert TXT files to HTML for further editing and then back to Creator to produce the PRC file. Perhaps someday Creator and Reader will implement Left and Right alignment of images and text flow around these images. Some very nice books could be implemented with this capability.

Mobipocket Reader. The final testbed.

GIMP. GNU Image Manipulation Program. Great for creating and editing book covers and editing images from illustrated books. For instance, it is very easy to incorporate the illustration caption as part of the image and eliminate the irritation of having the image on one page and the caption on another.

ABC Amber PDF Converter. Extracts images from PDF files. Not free. BD is better at converting PDF.

GutenText. The Project Gutenberg Prettifier. Converts PG text files to HTML and takes care of things like italics. (Thanks to Particia for this one.)

Calibre. Converts PRC to EPUB and LRF.

Mobi2IMP. Converts PRC to both flavors of IMP.

WordPad. Holds biographical and book data and finally all data for the book upload which becomes a cut and paste operation.

CaptureWiz. A screen capture utility to get those images not available for download on the WEB.

Internet Explorter. The source of all good things.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post

Isn't microsoft is the source of all evil? (Or is explorter something different from explorer?)

Crutledge, meet Mozilla Firefox. Mozzila Firefox, meet crutledge.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-22-2009 at 01:16 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Crutledge, meet Mozilla Firefox. Mozzila Firefox, meet crutledge.
Firefox went down just as fast as Internet Explorer ...
Chrome only browser left standing after day one of Pwn2Own
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre commandline tools for conversions nad metadata extraction.

FAR Manager for file manipulation, regexps and just about everything. Also a starting point from which all other tools are called.

SciTE for HTML editing.

H2lrf for mass conversions and format-specific settings.

Colbuild for building collections.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PaintShop Pro - for manipulating and creating images. The best such program out there, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Opera: for browsing the web.

Gimp and Inkscape: for editing bitmap pictures and vector graphics, respectively.

Acrobat reader: for viewing PDF scans and testing PDFs.

Vim: for editing all source text (HTML or TeX).

MobiPerl: for creating mobipocket files.

pdfLaTeX: for creating PDFs.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Notepad++. text editing

Calibre. conversion to and from various eBook formats

IrfanView & MS Paint. image manipulation and conversion

Mozilla Firefox. preview and testing of source HTML

XAMPP for Windows. execution of custom PHP scripts for retrieval of web content and process automation

rsync. synchronization, backups, etc

Stanza for iPhone. for actual reading of generated eBooks, still undecided on what eBook reader to buy
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PaintShop Pro - for manipulating and creating images. The best such program out there, IMHO.
Not free right? Have you tried Paint.Net? I have heard very good things about it. But, I am not really into doing graphic editing so I really have no base to review it from.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Let's see:

calibre - For all my entertainment needs
Vim - for editing everything
Vimperator - for browsing
Mutt - To handle the huge volume of mail calibre users generate
kspace - For a mouse free desktop environment
python - to get my computers to do what I want them to do with minimal effort
newsbeuter - to read the few RSS feeds that aren't suitable for recipes

And then with my sysadmin hat on:
rsync, ssh, screen, apache2, sshfs, unison
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not free right? Have you tried Paint.Net? I have heard very good things about it. But, I am not really into doing graphic editing so I really have no base to review it from.

BOb
I am really into graphic editing and I can tell you that Paint.NET is awesome. I use it on all my computers except the main one (which has CS4).

Oh and Gimp is great, too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
Firefox went down just as fast as Internet Explorer ...
Chrome only browser left standing after day one of Pwn2Own
You like Chrome I take it? I heard mostly bad things about it when it first came out, though that was when it was still in Beta, and I stopped paying much attention after that. The only real positive I heard was about different tabs running on their own process so they could be killed separately, but as Firefox has only frozen on me once in years (and I sure hope the same would be true of Chrome!), this doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
pdfLaTeX: for creating PDFs.
Gotta love that, but have you had any experience trying to convert .tex files into any other mobile book formats? So far the prospects seem bleak...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Gotta love that, but have you had any experience trying to convert .tex files into any other mobile book formats? So far the prospects seem bleak...
No, I don't use it as a source format... but it's not too difficult to convert a properly tagged .tex file into HTML. Not automatic, but doable in a rather short time (I've done that). Converting the LaTeX formatting into CSS, now that's a different matter.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
No, I don't use it as a source format... but it's not too difficult to convert a properly tagged .tex file into HTML. Not automatic, but doable in a rather short time (I've done that). Converting the LaTeX formatting into CSS, now that's a different matter.
Well latex2html does an OK job and there are other methods. It is also not especially hard to throw together e.g. a Perl script that handles the files you have available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've just started with creating ebooks, but here's what I'm using --

EditPadPro. I started with Notepad++ but its RegExp features were a little lacking. It was worth the $50 for EditPadPro.

Mobipocket Creator and Reader.

Photoshop. Tried GIMP but since I've used Photoshop for years I found GIMP frustrating (but I'm not knocking the software and the price is nice).

Project Gutenberg for source files. I've been using the text files as a source. Do any of you use the HTML files instead?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
That is not quite true. MSIE is the source of more viruses and trojans then any other software I know of. It's a source of great misery, heartache and financial loss.

Firefox is the browser of good. MSIE is the browser of bad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote