Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
dtakahashi
dtakahashi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thumbs down Beware! No returns/refunds on Nook Books!!!!

From the Barnes and Noble Refund and Returns Policies

Items That Cannot Be Returned
We are unable to accept returns for NOOK Books, magazines, downloadable PDFs for SparkNotes products, gift cards, and shrink-wrapped items that have been opened. Please note: Once purchased, NOOK Books cannot be refunded.

I bought a Nook book whose printed counterpart has a DVD that the author refers to. eBooks do not allow access to additional content such as cd/dvd. I had to go to the publisher's site where I could buy a printed book/eBook (all formats!) combo. I asked B&N for a refund and this is what I was told.

The competition has a limited window in which you can return, but it would have taken care of me in this case...I asked for the refund the night I purchased the Nook book.

So, let the buyer beware!!!!

David
dtakahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtakahashi View Post
From the Barnes and Noble Refund and Returns Policies

Items That Cannot Be Returned
We are unable to accept returns for NOOK Books, magazines, downloadable PDFs for SparkNotes products, gift cards, and shrink-wrapped items that have been opened. Please note: Once purchased, NOOK Books cannot be refunded.

I bought a Nook book whose printed counterpart has a DVD that the author refers to. eBooks do not allow access to additional content such as cd/dvd. I had to go to the publisher's site where I could buy a printed book/eBook (all formats!) combo. I asked B&N for a refund and this is what I was told.

The competition has a limited window in which you can return, but it would have taken care of me in this case...I asked for the refund the night I purchased the Nook book.

So, let the buyer beware!!!!

David
B&N will give a refund when problems mean you cannot read a book (very bad formatting, a lot of errors, the wrong content, etc.), but not for other reasons. This is true for most ebook stores.

As far as I know Amazon/Kindle is the only store where you can just return an ebook. And that policy is quite controversial as some people use it to read ebooks for free. Something authors are not happy about.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
And that policy is quite controversial as some people use it to read ebooks for free. Something authors are not happy about.
Do you know anybody who does that, or are you basing this statement on any numbers you have seen that you could post here?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Do you know anybody who does that, or are you basing this statement on any numbers you have seen that you could post here?
See the comments of this Teleread article:
http://www.teleread.com/kindle/amazo...e-ebooks-easy/
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that Amazon would crack down on anyone who abused the policy. Returning excessive numbers of items is one of the ways that people get their Amazon accounts closed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I strongly suspect that Amazon would crack down on anyone who abused the policy. Returning excessive numbers of items is one of the ways that people get their Amazon accounts closed.
I don't know the answer to this, but I have often wondered if Amazon makes the decision to close an account for excessive returns not based on the number of returns but on the dollars involved in the return. IOW, returning a TV involves a significant amount of dollars and thus returning two TVs in a year might trigger a closure regardless of the reason for the return, whereas returning an ebook involves virtually no cost, even if 100 are returned within a month. I wouldn't be surprised to find that a person could return 50%of all ebooks purchased from Amazon and not have their account closed for excessive returns because of the insignificant hit to Amazon's bottom line.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
See the comments of this Teleread article:
http://www.teleread.com/kindle/amazo...e-ebooks-easy/
Exactly. Look at the comments.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm

Without hard numbers, abuse of this return policy is mere speculation.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Without hard numbers, abuse of this return policy is mere speculation.
Drop a $10 bill on a busy street. Do you expect to find it still there the next day? How much hard data do you need beyond a few millennia of human history?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Apk, I am afraid I can't follow your connection between a lost 10$ bill and the percentage of ebooks that were read prior to being returned.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Apk, I am afraid I can't follow your connection between a lost 10$ bill and the percentage of ebooks that were read prior to being returned.
Follow: It doesn't require hard data to reasonably predict that some people get a free read by abusing a return policy any more than it requires hard data to predict they will pick up a $10 bill on the ground. There is no question that there is abuse of the return policy because there is ALWAYS abuse of ANY return policy. The only questions are how much abuse is there, how does Amazon detect it, and how much will they tolerate.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Amazon has deleted the Kindle accounts of people who have abused their return policy, but, from what I have read, the number of eBooks you can return before looking suspicious is pretty high.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Follow: It doesn't require hard data to reasonably predict that some people get a free read by abusing a return policy any more than it requires hard data to predict they will pick up a $10 bill on the ground. There is no question that there is abuse of the return policy because there is ALWAYS abuse of ANY return policy. The only questions are how much abuse is there, how does Amazon detect it, and how much will they tolerate.
Assumptions. I assume as well that there is abuse, BTW, but without hard numbers, it is difficult to say if 0.0005% of ebooks are being read prior to being returned, or 10%. It may be a non-issue.

Last edited by xendula; 11-27-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Why does anyone want to risk his account with Amazon? People already download unauthorized music, movie from internet, why not ebook? Especially when ebook files are small.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Why does anyone want to risk his account with Amazon? People already download unauthorized music, movie from internet, why not ebook? Especially when ebook files are small.
I can only answer for myself: because I want to support authors. If they stop writing, it's my loss. I love to read too much for this to happen.

Tags
no!, nook, refund, return