Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
now that's the worst photoshop edit I've seen in a while!
In real fact, the JBC's background is much lighter than the whitest background of those circles in the photo you posted!
You're accusing me of lying? OK...

For anyone else, all i did was take one photo of all three things simultaneously (with a light source nearer the jetbook), and chop a circle out of each thing to isolate the content. No manipulation at all.

Of course I have no idea how the picture will appear on your monitor but the relative brightnesses should be accurate. The whitest circle is obviously the paper - judge the other two from that.

Edited to add: out of interest I've just set the white point in the picture (using Gimp) based on the background of the copy paper. Now on my monitor it gives a pretty good representation of how it looked in real life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	93749

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 10-09-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added white balance adjusted version of pic
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Maybe I missed it, but which circle is of the DX and which is of the JBC?
The top one is from paper, I take it a different shade of paper from that on which you
placed the circles.

The background on my JBL looks just a little lighter than the bottom right circle, in
normal room lighting. If I hold it tilted away from the light, I might be able to get it
as dark as the bottom right circle's background. Even then it remains readable.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Maybe I missed it, but which circle is of the DX and which is of the JBC?
The top one is from paper, I take it a different shade of paper from that on which you
placed the circles.

The background on my JBL looks just a little lighter than the bottom right circle, in
normal room lighting. If I hold it tilted away from the light, I might be able to get it
as dark as the bottom right circle's background. Even then it remains readable.

Luck;
Ken
Slight misunderstanding - I took a photo of the three things (paper, £69 Kindle and jetbook Color) lying next to each other on a desk. I then in Gimp took a circle from each of the text areas in the photo and digitally pasted those circles closer together into a new bitmap, just to make the picture smaller. It's paper at the top, kindle bottom right and jetbook Color bottom left.

Andrew
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
There might be problems if you have minor light intensity but in the same conditions I certainly do not want to read on a Kindle or paperback book either.

Either way the comparison with an careful selected 'extra white' paper with the JetBook Color is not an objective one.

Compare it with a newspaper (e.g. the Financial Times) and you're comparison would be quite different. I do not know many people who would say newspapers are too dark.

Anyway, I still think this comparison is not purposeful. Either you do like the eInk technology or you could just stfu and buy an iPad to play with 'angry birds'.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #20
andyh2000
Avid reader

Goodbye.

Andrew
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Eliminating bias from bezels we have a piece of Nope. As I can't bring myself to read from the device it has sat in the cupboard for the last four months or so. I really must try and sell it...
I deleted the file in download directory (I think it was an xml) that points to working atompub and I don't remember the URL.
Please, Could you give me this file from your unit?

P.s.: I think for an environment not very shining Ectaco (or Hanvon) should think about the light glow as kindle (with paperwhite model) has just done. I'm sure this would improve in colors not only in contrast
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
because of the surface treatment of the JBC, if you take a picture of the screen it becomes more apparent, but indeed, when you tilt it, it can get pretty dark.
If the light source is from an angle, or your eyes are looking at the JBC from an angle, the screen looks darker than with normal use.
The JBC for me looks between the white paper, and the right grey circle.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
because of the surface treatment of the JBC, if you take a picture of the screen it becomes more apparent, but indeed, when you tilt it, it can get pretty dark.
If the light source is from an angle, or your eyes are looking at the JBC from an angle, the screen looks darker than with normal use.
The JBC for me looks between the white paper, and the right grey circle.
I agree. This picture is very misleading..
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote