Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
taxesed
taxesed began at the beginning.

Device: nook
New Hard Drive and Calibre

My hard drive crashed, but I did have my Calibre library saved on an external hard drive. The hard drive was replaced and I reinstalled Calibre. I copied the library to the C drive, but I cannot get Calibre to recognize it. The Calibre welcome wizard states to use an empty folder for a new Calibre library. Then, if you have an existing Calibre library, it will be copied to the new location. If the Calibre library already exists at the new location, Calibre will switch to it. The library I copied is at C:Ebooks:Calibre Library3. I set up an empty folder called C:Ebooks:Calibre Library4 for the empty folder for the new library. I then went to books switch/create library and tried to get Calibre to recognize the library at C:Ebooks:Calibre Library3, but could not do it. I cannot move 4 to 3 because 3 is not empty and I cannot use the previous existing library at the new location, 3 at 4, because there is no existing Calibre library at 3. I do not want to lose all the books in my library. I would appreciate any help that can be offered to get my library into Calibre!
taxesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxesed View Post
My hard drive crashed, but I did have my Calibre library saved on an external hard drive. The hard drive was replaced and I reinstalled Calibre. I copied the library to the C drive, but I cannot get Calibre to recognize it. The Calibre welcome wizard states to use an empty folder for a new Calibre library. Then, if you have an existing Calibre library, it will be copied to the new location. If the Calibre library already exists at the new location, Calibre will switch to it. The library I copied is at C:Ebooks:Calibre Library3. I set up an empty folder called C:Ebooks:Calibre Library4 for the empty folder for the new library. I then went to books switch/create library and tried to get Calibre to recognize the library at C:Ebooks:Calibre Library3, but could not do it. I cannot move 4 to 3 because 3 is not empty and I cannot use the previous existing library at the new location, 3 at 4, because there is no existing Calibre library at 3. I do not want to lose all the books in my library. I would appreciate any help that can be offered to get my library into Calibre!
Please tell me you did not use a colon (:) in the Library name.

the colon is only used to indicate the preceding is a device. C:, LPT1:, COM1:, NUL:

Code:
C:\Ebooks\Calibre Library3
is a valid (but kind of long name)
Why not call it Library3 and save the total path length (has a limit) for long winded titles :D
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
taxesed

No, I did not use a colon. I only used it in the message.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I copied the library to the C drive, but I cannot get Calibre to recognize it.
If you have a complete copy of your library, including the metadata.db file then you simply want to click the library icon - click switch/create library - select Use previous existing library at new location and point to your library folder.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
taxesed

Walt
Thanks! I checked my copy of the library and discovered only the cover had been saved. I have another copy on a another external hard drive that crashed and I will try to get the library off that and try again.
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks! I checked my copy of the library and discovered only the cover had been saved. I have another copy on a another external hard drive that crashed and I will try to get the library off that and try again.
I am referring to the metadata.db file not the metadata.opf files. The metadata.db is only found in the root directory of the library. If you point to the directory with the metadata.db you will should be ok.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
taxesed

Walt
I found the complete files on the crashed drive and have finally got the library into Calibre. I really appreciate your assistance!