Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Hacking 505 limitations

My coworker just bought the 505 and had it in the office today. On a lark, I stuck in my SD card with my latest hack build, and autorun.js loaded up just fine. I wasn't allowed (his new baby) to try to run the image building sequence, but I was surprised it got that far, as I was under the impression that autorun had been disabled.

Anyone have any further info with the actual device?
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

A tiny bit more information. I cajoled him into letting me run the directory listing script. The script seemed to run, and reported finishing, but the log file didn't appear on the SD card. Not sure if it was because of incorrect directories, or if writing was disabled or what, but it seems as if there's a good starting point for breaking into that thing.
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've already reported that when I tried to flash the 505, I got an error stating that stats_FS was missing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apparently something happens when copying mtools. I'll have more details when I get my unit. But the good news is that autorun.xml does indeed run, so I hope we'll be able to port all the hacks.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Apparently something happens when copying mtools. I'll have more details when I get my unit. But the good news is that autorun.xml does indeed run, so I hope we'll be able to port all the hacks.
The ports I want to see the most for the 505.. the smaller fonts in the menus, the onscreen clock, and turning off the unit from anywhere and not just the sill down deep menu option.
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
I wish extra fonts can be installed on the 505, would it be even harder than porting the old hack?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
But the good news is that autorun.xml does indeed run ....
SCHWEET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
I wish extra fonts can be installed on the 505, would it be even harder than porting the old hack?
In the sense that the old hack method was the way that we replaced (couldn't add to, only replace) fonts on the 500, so the hack part will have to be working again on the 505 before it will even be possible to begin trying to monkey with the fonts: yes, it would be more work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Nogg
Literate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ports I want to see the most for the 505.. the smaller fonts in the menus, the onscreen clock, and turning off the unit from anywhere and not just the sill down deep menu option.
I'm guessing from what I've seen that most, if not all, of the current hacks will work immediately once we can figure out how to get them copied to the device.

If that's not the case, it'll likely be an issue of just reformatting rather than redeveloping, which should be relatively painless.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That is once access to the xml files is possible.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
What do you think about taking some of the software from the 505 and making it work on the 500? Things like collections on a SD card would be a great backport hack.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
At this point we know that mtools don't work in the 505, while the autorun.xml does run, and the scripts can be launched. One can replace all the mcopy's in the scripts with the copyFile() commands in XML, and the load would be theoretically possible.

But there seems to be yet another hurdle to overcome. Even if a valid image is in place, and we try to burn it, it seems to kill the current image and not burn the new one, bricking the device. There is no firmware updater as of yet, so the device is pretty much dead until the next FW release comes out.

BTW, in my opinion this is a very nasty bug on part of Sony - wiping out the current image before checking and burning the new one.

Why the image doesn't burn properly - I cannot yet say. Igor will figure this out soon, I am sure. The good news is we can collect the images of the flash filesystems using shell scripts, and try to investigate. My suspicion is that the image actually does burn, but Sony's mtdmount invalidates it for some reason when trying to mount on reboot.

As far as the hacks are concerned, they will need to use the 505 main.xml and applicationStart.xml as the base. These files are probably different in 505.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-10-2007 at 10:22 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote