Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
[False Alarm] FW 4.6.10075 will brick mark 6 models with KSM installed

EDIT: The danger I was divining does not concern any of the current models. So this was a false alarm.
I moved the original text into the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Updating mark 6 models (Glo HD, Touch 2.0, Aura Edition 2, Aura ONE, Aura H2O Edition 2) to FW 4.6.10075 (and higher) will (EDIT: might perhaps) result in serious difficulties for users of the current KSM version(s).

Therefore, prevent the update. Or, better, select the full update (not the partial update) in the KSM menu in order to disable KSM!

Edit: Maybe my warning was to stark. Possibly the current available models are not concerned.

Last edited by tshering; 12-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
That's interesting because it seems to be working on my KA1 without a problem.

However, when I sideloaded the 4.610075 update, I did it while in the Nickel mode. I then reinstalled the KSM tgz file and then the extension patch.

Everything seems to be working fine in both Nickel and Koreader for me.

Koreader did initially freeze when looking up a word in a Chinese book which necessitated powering the device on and off. But it has been behaving since then. It occasionally froze prior to this most recent FW as well.

Yesterday, something weird happened while reading a Japanese book in Nickel. Can't quite explain it. The whole screen seemed to ghost and became unresponsive. Closed the cover to put it to sleep, then immediately opened it and it was fine.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
That's interesting because it seems to be working on my KA1 without a problem.

However, when I sideloaded the 4.610075 update, I did it while in the Nickel mode. I then reinstalled the KSM tgz file and then the extension patch.

Everything seems to be working fine in both Nickel and Koreader for me.

Koreader did initially freeze when looking up a word in a Chinese book which necessitated powering the device on and off. But it has been behaving since then. It occasionally froze prior to this most recent FW as well.

Yesterday, something weird happened while reading a Japanese book in Nickel. Can't quite explain it. The whole screen seemed to ghost and became unresponsive. Closed the cover to put it to sleep, then immediately opened it and it was fine.
The danger I was divining does not concern any of the current models. So this was a false alarm. As for the ghosting and unresponsiveness, I do not know. It is not related to the danger I was afraid of (losing the ability to connect the device as usb storage.)

Last edited by tshering; 11-30-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The danger I was divining does not concern any of the current models. So this was a false alarm. As for the ghosting and unresponsiveness, I do not know. It is not related to the danger I was afraid of (losing the ability to connect the device as usb storage.)
Thanks for that. Much reassured.

I think what I called "ghosting" was probably just the screen freezing as it was attempting to look up a word. I think it probably got stuck in some kind of transitional stage. Very hard to describe, especially as I didn't leave it too long in that stage. Just put it to sleep, woke it up and it was fine.

My KA1 will occasionally freeze when I have been using the dictionary a lot. Has happened on all firmwares.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

Device: sony pr505
Quote:
The original H2O is a mark 5, so it is ok?

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by stats; 11-30-2017 at 09:48 AM.
stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stats View Post
The original H2O is a mark 5, so it is ok?

Cheers,
Rich

There is no special danger to any of the current models. You know that then original H2O has (again) a rotation problem with the more recent FW updates?

Last edited by tshering; 12-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

I have read that, but not seen it on my device. I pretty much only use koreader. It's been very stable.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have read that, but not seen it on my device. I pretty much only use koreader. It's been very stable.
Please read the thread properly. It was a false alarm.

@tshering: Can you change the thread title to something more appropriate?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Please read the thread properly. It was a false alarm.

@tshering: Can you change the thread title to something more appropriate?
He can't, but I will if he'll tell me what he wants. In the meantime, I'll add a bracketed [False Alarm].
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
He can't, but I will if he'll tell me what he wants. In the meantime, I'll add a bracketed [False Alarm].
Thank you issybird. I think it is fine as you did.

Last edited by tshering; 12-01-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Quote:

Cheers,
Rich

Only after rereading your post, I understood now that you are possibly talking about the rotation problem. In that case thank you for the information.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
stats

Quote:
Only after rereading your post, I understood now that you are possibly talking about the rotation problem. In that case thank you for the information.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. My H2O has not experienced the rotation problem.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk