Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Kobo Touch vs Nook Simple Touch

As the two latest electronic book readers on the market how does the new Kobo Touch and the Nook Simple Touch compare to each other? Who has done a better job of engineering a UI?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Here's my take on it (from watching lots of walkthrough videos and reading articles).

No doubt it is more convenient for me to get the Kobo Touch. I'm in Canada and I can go to a Chapters store and buy it. If I have problems with the device, repairs and warranty service should be easy enough.

However, I think the Nook Touch is the superior device. I like its UI better and it's the faster device out of the two. Plus, it's got physical page turn buttons which is a big deal for me personally, it would make it much easier to use one-handed. The Nook's font and formatting options seem far superior as well (many more font options, line spacing setting which the kobo doesn't have). The Kobo people have gone on record saying they are unhappy with the font selection and will add more in a future firmware update.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I have not played with a Kobo yet (only online reviews and videos) but I had the chance to use a Nook Touch in a B&N store here in USA.

Based on what I saw and feel and again, using Kobo online reviews and facts, the Nook Touch looks a better device. Granted, the PDF support is better on the Kobo, but you have physical buttons on the Nook Touch and I like the B&N UI better.

Another important feature that rahulm mentioned and Kobo does not have is font and formatting options, you will get a lot with the Nook Touch.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-16-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Fixing minor typos
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Kobo seems to support a few more formats than the Nook, such as .cbz, .cbr (useful for comic and manga fans), html and some others as well if I recall correctly. It has a secret sudoku app installed on in it, too. I have played with it at the store and it looks like a very sweet device. Also, the Nook only has 250 mb of onboard storage for side loaded books. I haven't yet played with the Nook, as it isn't available outside of the U.S.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I think both companies fumbled with these devices. They could have been serious challengers to the Kindle, but there are weaknesses in both. Well of course that depends on your needs.

The new nook is worlds better than the old one, but I had a lot of ghosting problems inside the store when I was using it. It was unreadable at some points. On the nook board, its thought to be due to the sun. I didn't see the ghosting at night. As Lat said above, the memory is limited for non-B&N books. This is a real killer for me as B&N is not a store I have bought from on my ipod.

The navigation on the nook is great. Its easy to get around and find what you need. Highlighting is a bit iffy. Its not very accurate and I am not sure if its firmware or hardware. No where near as smooth as the Sony. The dictionary is easy to call up while reading. It not obvious like on the Sony or Kindle, but it works well once you get use to it.

I haven't gotten my hands on a Kobo Touch, but I am disappointed in it. I really liked the Kobo I had, but returned it. I found I wanted a dictionary for all my books, yet the Kobo still doesn't off this. This is their third model and they still don't have this basic function? The company released a press release yesterday saying they were going to implement this, but I feel it should already be there by now.

I will probably end up getting a Kindle here soon. I always like the screen, but disliked the keyboard. It was between the Kindle and Sony. I liked Sony a lot, but wanted to wait to see the new Nook. Now I can't find Sony anymore.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I think both companies fumbled with these devices. They could have been serious challengers to the Kindle, but there are weaknesses in both. Well of course that depends on your needs.

The new nook is worlds better than the old one, but I had a lot of ghosting problems inside the store when I was using it. It was unreadable at some points. On the nook board, its thought to be due to the sun. I didn't see the ghosting at night. As Lat said above, the memory is limited for non-B&N books. This is a real killer for me as B&N is not a store I have bought from on my ipod.

The navigation on the nook is great. Its easy to get around and find what you need. Highlighting is a bit iffy. Its not very accurate and I am not sure if its firmware or hardware. No where near as smooth as the Sony. The dictionary is easy to call up while reading. It not obvious like on the Sony or Kindle, but it works well once you get use to it.

I haven't gotten my hands on a Kobo Touch, but I am disappointed in it. I really liked the Kobo I had, but returned it. I found I wanted a dictionary for all my books, yet the Kobo still doesn't off this. This is their third model and they still don't have this basic function? The company released a press release yesterday saying they were going to implement this, but I feel it should already be there by now.

I will probably end up getting a Kindle here soon. I always like the screen, but disliked the keyboard. It was between the Kindle and Sony. I liked Sony a lot, but wanted to wait to see the new Nook. Now I can't find Sony anymore.

while yes the nook has limited space reserved for sideloading books on your device, this doesn't affect books you put on an SD card, the amount of storage is entirely up to you.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
After playing with both, there are a few areas that favor one device or the other.

Kobo's strengths lie in the simplicity. The home screen is simply a display of the last 5 books you've opened or added to the device. Easy enough. Having a short list that you can use to build a reading list that is easy to get to is another plus. When it comes to larger collections this simplicity starts falling behind the Nook where you have search, customizable shelves, and even the ability to navigate the filesystem to find the book you want. The Nook's homescreen is a joke, unfortunately.

The industrial design is a bit better than the Nook's in my opinion, being a bit thinner, and the more standard shape actually makes it a bit easier to grip in ways the designer didn't intend. The nook's hard buttons are useful for keeping the screen clear though, and the extra width isn't something I'd call a deal-breaker in any way, shape, or form.

Where the Kobo falls way behind is treating side-loaded content like second-class citizens. Can't highlight side-loaded content, and the rendering engine is different between the two. Side-loaded content still displays page number markings in the right margin (Kobo epubs don't), and currently has bugs with displaying italics/bold (Kobo epubs display them fine). The Kobo also uses the header and footer to display the chapter title and book title, but doesn't display this information for side-loaded epubs. This might be just as well, since they actually slow the reading experience switching between chapters, and causing a double black-flash. Also, Kobo epubs only show the page numbers for the chapter, not the whole book, and I don't see a way to switch.

The nook on the other hand has gotten to the point where as long as you put content in the right folders (which Calibre does for you), side-loaded content is the same as purchased content. Highlighting, notes (which the Kobo can't do yet), and dictionary lookup all work the same in every book. And the rendering bugs in the nook have less impact on the formatting of the book (The nook doesn't understand 'sans-serif' as a value for the font-family CSS property). The nook also doesn't delve more than 1 level deep in the TOC which is a problem in some books.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I have a nook classic and I went with a kobo touch. The nook touch was too wide for me to hold comfortably and I didn't like the set up of the home screen. The kobo is just the right size incredibly comfortable to hold and I like the fact that they seem to be more responsive to listening to their customers. I also like fact that I can change the number of pages between the refresh on the kobo and that I am not locked into a book store- granted you aren't really on the nook- but barnes and noble ties up half the home screen with their bookstore.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I got the Nook Touch.

I definitely agree about the (nearly) useless homescreen. The homescreen is supposed to be the most usable and feature-packed screen, but here it mostly serves as free advertisement for B&N. The unit is pretty wide but I don't mind it since the page turn buttons make it super easy to use one-handed.

Other than that, I think it's a wonderful device and far superior to my old PRS505. I would have gone with the Kobo Touch if it had physical buttons which is just a preference of mine.

That being said, I think the Kobo team is doing an absolutely fantastic job being active and attentive to the mobileread community. If only B&N had such foresight.

Chapters/Borders has definitely earned a massive amount of brownie points from me and this is something that I will remember the next time they release a product. Unfortunately, and despite the amazing firmware upgrades, I think the lack of buttons and the way the Kobo currently treats sideloaded books makes me favor my Nook.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

I was concerned about the lack of physical buttons on the kobo. However I have found that I adapted easily to just touching the screen instead and can still read one handed. My preference would have been buttons though.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
I got the Nook Touch.

I definitely agree about the (nearly) useless homescreen. The homescreen is supposed to be the most usable and feature-packed screen, but here it mostly serves as free advertisement for B&N. The unit is pretty wide but I don't mind it since the page turn buttons make it super easy to use one-handed.

Other than that, I think it's a wonderful device and far superior to my old PRS505. I would have gone with the Kobo Touch if it had physical buttons which is just a preference of mine.

That being said, I think the Kobo team is doing an absolutely fantastic job being active and attentive to the mobileread community. If only B&N had such foresight.

Chapters/Borders has definitely earned a massive amount of brownie points from me and this is something that I will remember the next time they release a product. Unfortunately, and despite the amazing firmware upgrades, I think the lack of buttons and the way the Kobo currently treats sideloaded books makes me favor my Nook.

actually BN devs and customer service are quite active on the BN official Nook site and many of the same complaints, suggestions etc you see here mirror those over there and also many members here are members there as well.
There is also an on going "next update wishlist" that is always posted.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
rahulm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
actually BN devs and customer service are quite active on the BN official Nook site and many of the same complaints, suggestions etc you see here mirror those over there and also many members here are members there as well.
There is also an on going "next update wishlist" that is always posted.
That's good news. Hopefully they release an update soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
I have a nook classic and I went with a kobo touch. The nook touch was too wide for me to hold comfortably
But the Touch is exactly as wide as the Classic.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
octoberdana
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
But the Touch is exactly as wide as the Classic.
It may be but it felt much larger. I didn't care for the huge bezel around the edges and there was not enough trim around the bottom for me to hold it comfortably. The kobo touch just looks and feels better to me. So that is what I went with having compared both of them.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
It may be but it felt much larger. I didn't care for the huge bezel around the edges and there was not enough trim around the bottom for me to hold it comfortably. The kobo touch just looks and feels better to me. So that is what I went with having compared both of them.
I know what you mean. If there were just a little more meat at the bottom of the NOOK it would make a big difference. I'm unable to hold it comfortably without a cover.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote