Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
joker1231978
joker1231978 began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple
Just trying to find a simple way to manage series...

Since this is my first post, let me start off by saying that Calibre is the best thing since sliced bread. I would have gone nuts trying to keep my books organized. Calibre is keeping me sane. My problem is now my readers.

I've been lucky to have a few readers in the house so purchasing a few different e-readers was a logical step to do anyway. I have the Kindle3, the B&N Nook(classic), and now a Pandigital Novel. I started off with the Kindle. I got aggravated trying to manage all my books on it and gave it to my wife. I went and bought the Nook. The same thing again. It now belongs to my daughter. As a last resort, I went and bought the Novel. Alas... I am again aggravated. None of these readers allow me to sort the books in the order of the series (at least not factory settings). I think I have some flexibility with the Novel though. It's, more or less, a low power tablet.

Is there any Android app or something that will allow me to arrange by series order? I've also started to like seeing my covers so I would like to keep that ability. I've been renaming the title of my books, but I cannot stand it having to do that.

Any thoughts/suggestions? If I'm just SOL with this Novel, then I'll just live with it I guess. I have no further justification to give to my wife about another purchase. Not to mention, there are a couple of other things on this e-reader I like.

Thanks!
Patrick

Last edited by joker1231978; 05-03-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: minor typo
joker1231978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Can't you import your info from calibre into your devices? That's what I do w/my Sony PRS 900 and books are listed in series order (mostly).
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
joker1231978
joker1231978 began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple
It does import most of it. However, it only sorts alphabetically by title/author. I can create a shelf for the series, but then the books get listed alphabetically. That's why I have to rename books with 1- (Name), 2 - (Name), and so on to keep them in proper order.

With this Novel being an Android device, I was hoping someone might have some insight on an app, or tweak, that I might be able to install so I can arrange books on a shelf or collection without having to rename the book.
joker1231978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I change a lot of book titles to "Series Name number - Title". Then title sort works fine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Unhappy How to view series information?

I have the same frustration and can't understand why none of the eBook readers seem to have catered for this - I use Stanza on the iPhone.

I also use Calibre which is brilliant. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the series information to the iPhone.

I don't personally like adding a series number to the book title, but have had to resort to this in the absence of any other apparent solution. The problem with this workaround is that you can only download one series at a time (to the eBook reader) otherwise the series/titles get mixed up. Including the series title in the title makes it too long and unmanageable on a device like the iPhone where (e.g.) Stanza has difficulty displaying long titles anyway.

Someone please come up with a solution..................
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
I have the same frustration and can't understand why none of the eBook readers seem to have catered for this - I use Stanza on the iPhone.

I also use Calibre which is brilliant. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the series information to the iPhone.

I don't personally like adding a series number to the book title, but have had to resort to this in the absence of any other apparent solution. The problem with this workaround is that you can only download one series at a time (to the eBook reader) otherwise the series/titles get mixed up. Including the series title in the title makes it too long and unmanageable on a device like the iPhone where (e.g.) Stanza has difficulty displaying long titles anyway.

Someone please come up with a solution..................
Can't you use an abbreviated series name? Eg. Hammer's Slammers = HS1, HS2 etc.

That way the different series won't get mixed, plus it won't be so long.

If you have thousands of series and they still overlap, then you'll have to use stock numbers to represent the series and keep them together. Eg 111-01, 111-02 etc.

Sorry, can't think of anything else.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately abbreviating names like this only works for a short while before you (me, us...) forgets what the abbreviation stands for, especially if you have a large library.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately abbreviating names like this only works for a short while before you (me, us...) forgets what the abbreviation stands for, especially if you have a large library.
Store a series abbreviation 'Crib sheet book' on your device.

Create a custom column in Calibre with your series abbreviation (leaving the default, Full series name intact for later use. Besides: Importing the metadata brings in a full series name.)
Use the save template to use your custom column instead of {series}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've tried including the series name/number in the title and found I don't care for it. What I do is create a separate small file (example attached) that lists the series order. Not ideal of course, but the way things currently work it works best for me.
Attached Files
File Type: prc kellerman.prc (3.1 KB, 302 views)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
Wyndham
Connoisseur

The work around I have come up with is to get Calibre to generate a catalogue of my eBooks. I can then refer to this from within Stanza on my iPhone.

It took a bit of experimenting to get the catalogue 'right', but I got there in the end. It less than ideal, but better than nothing and will have to do until Stanza is updated.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
TeddieS
TeddieS began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use a sony prs-505 and have collections set up by author or series, then I put a text document in each collection stating series order and or reading order that I want to read. Takes a little longer but I keep organized that way since I have a huge ebook collection and tend to buy all the books available in a series at one time.
TeddieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I change a lot of book titles to "Series Name number - Title". Then title sort works fine.
I'm sure you know this, but using Calibre's "plugboard" facility you can have it do this automatically for you when it transfers the book to your reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Looks like there's a plug in to do what you need. maybe. Check here and hope it's what you need.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125729
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I find Calibre to be too much work to use as a library management system. I only keep stuff on my Kindle that I'm going to read, and the rest on my pc in author folders. Occasionally I will use Calibre to convert something, like an ePub to .mobi, but don't use it as my primary library management.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
I live by Calibre and find it to be an ideal book management tool (as far as book management tools go.)

I have found that most ereaders don't support the functionality you want altho the capability is built into the book via the metadata. As often as possible I try to install FBreader on my non-dedicated devices.

My workaround for my Nook is to do what a lot have suggested. Create a cribsheet for the series Or append a suffix to the book name something such as Smith-01 Book_Name.

I just wish more ereaders made use of the metadata so you could keep them in order without having to jump through hoops.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, series