Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
poppacas
poppacas began at the beginning.

Device: none
~Greetings Each & All ~

This site is a tremendous resource. Recent purchase of Kindle by my sweet lady has thrust this half of the duo into research of e-Readers. My research will be:
----1] learn about the Kindle,
----2] evaluate/decide which reader will be my first reader.

Am reading through so much data here, so efficiently presented by so many interesting people is delightful. This technology is totally new to me as have been playing with other areas of new technology.
Ahhhh, such is life in Techie Land, turn away two nano seconds from any scene and you are lost when turn round again.

Great data here from so many. Thank you each and all.

peace and good health to all from

PoppaCas
poppacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, poppacas!! enjoy your new home.

Besure and check out the "which one should I buy" forum, for lots of different advice.

Also, read our "wiki" (at the top of this page) for even more info.

And don't forget all the books here, free to you from the talent folks here at mobileread.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi PoppaCas and welcome to the Forum. I've had a Sony 505 for a year now and like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello poppacas. Welcome to MobileRead.

The Kindle is essentially a simple device. Turn it on. Load a book. Select the book. Read. Turn pages. Turn it off.

Every reader that I know about behaves exactly the same.

Now, with the Kindle, you can do some more advanced things like change the font size, set a bookmark, highlight text, and even write a note "in the margin". Again, all the readers I know of implement multiple fonts and bookmarks. Not every one has a highlight or note function.

Once you turn on the cellular antenna -- if you're in the USA with a Sprint service area -- then you can connect to the Kindle store at Amazon.com and browse the new books, bestsellers, recommendations for you, and Kindle news. You can buy a book from the Kindle and Amazon will ship the book to you over the cell connection directly into your Kindle. (Of course, you can also do your buying and downloading with your browser and push the book into the Kindle over the USB connection.)

There is an experimental browser in the Kindle and you can use it to access some web sites -- it works best with those systems that have a mobile portal optimized to hand-held devices. You can get the MobiPocket Download Guide from MobileRead and then use it to download books from MobileRead into your Kindle over the cellular connection. You can get the Kindle Download Guide from Feedbooks and use it to download their books directly into the Kindle.

The network connectivity is not unique to the Kindle, but there are fewer book readers that do have the ability to connect to servers, and the Amazon store is the only one I know of that has a built-in interface for shopping, buying, and delivery of books direct to the device.

A couple of other features that the Kindle shares with some other readers -- the ability to play music and/or audio books. The Kindle's support for audio books is limited to books from Audible.com. Yes, you can put MP3 files onto the Kindle, but it doesn't support any form of a playlist, so it's difficult to "read" an audio book in MP3 format when you can't rely on the player to play each file in the correct order.

Personally, I don't use the audio components in the Kindle (or in the Sony, for that matter) since I have a tiny, full-function MP3 player with 16G of storage. I also only use the network function in the Kindle for shopping at Kindle. Every once in a while I'll use one of the download guides to grab a book from MobileRead or Feedbooks -- but I mostly use those as nicely formatted "library catalogs".

The wiki and forums here have lots of information about the various brands (and models within brands) and the functions that they provide. Which ever reader you choose, you're in for such a treat.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
poppacas
poppacas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the replies.

Hello all----

thank you for your comments...read each with interest.

Peace be with you all...........be well..........poppacas
poppacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Welcome, PoppaCas. I'm in the market for my first ebook reader as well, courtesy of my husband, who oh-so-casually dropped into a conversation last week, "...since you're getting an ebook reader..." This was news to me, though not unwelcome news, since I've been drooling over some version (still undecided as yet on which version) of the technology for months on end now.
How does your lady like her Kindle? And what do y'all read?

Shel
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote