Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
What is series metadata and how do I use it?

What is the series field for in the metadata and how do I use it? The metadata section of the Calibre documentation is empty, and search of this forum and google has turned up nothing useful.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hi, Halo!

I've always used that field for organizing books together that are linked in a series. For example, if I had Jim Butcher's "Storm Front" in Calibre, I would list it as book 1 in the "Dresden Files" series. Then "Fool Moon" would be book 2, etc. I'm not sure it translates to any additional functionality in Sony Reader, though, since I'm still transferring books to the Reader using Sony's eBook Library software. Perhaps someone else could answer that.

Since I like the books to sort together on the Reader, I also put some form of the series title and book number in the book's Title metadata, too. Using the same examples, I might have titled the book "Dresden Files 01 - Storm Front". Then, when checking Sony's book list by Title, all the Dresden Files books would be grouped together.

HTH.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm not sure it translates to any additional functionality in Sony Reader, though, since I'm still transferring books to the Reader using Sony's eBook Library software. Perhaps someone else could answer that.
I think Series and Tags in calibre become collections on the Sony if you use the "Send to Device" feature.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, series