Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Good news.
I just followed davidfor's suggestion, and it works!

I took an epub file which was displayed LTR instead of RTL and renamed it to filename.kepub.epub and loaded it back to the device.
Everything was displayed perfectly, text appearing from right to left in perfect order.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #32
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Not quite working

I have found that arabic without the vowels (fatha, kasra, damma) seems to work fine, when the file is changed to kepub.epub, but my attempt to use them ended up with the vowel markers offset to the next character.
Unfortunately this is what I need, as I want to read Qur'an
Haelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #33
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Ok it seems it is an issue with the particular arabic font used. I was using one called Traditional Arabic, which it seems wont display the vowels properly. When I changed to a different font (Lateef or Scheherazade) the vowel markers display correctly, but the symbol for la - لا is displaying over the top of the previous character.
Has anyone got a decent arabic font which will display full arabic text correctly in epub?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelu View Post
Ok it seems it is an issue with the particular arabic font used. I was using one called Traditional Arabic, which it seems wont display the vowels properly. When I changed to a different font (Lateef or Scheherazade) the vowel markers display correctly, but the symbol for la - لا is displaying over the top of the previous character.
Has anyone got a decent arabic font which will display full arabic text correctly in epub?
this is great news, as e.g. on the Pocketbook there was no way to display accents. I don't have an answer to your question, but hope somebody does!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Is it a problem with the font, or with the kepub rendering engine? Have you tried using the same font with a different rendering engine?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #36
Haelu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it a problem with the font, or with the kepub rendering engine? Have you tried using the same font with a different rendering engine?
well in libreoffice it looks fine in any arabic font I use. I will check other things.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
Haelu

Quote:
well in libreoffice it looks fine in any arabic font I use. I will check other things.
I assume you mean try using another epub reading program on my pc, as I have no idea how to get another program on the actual Kobo
Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I assume you mean try using another epub reading program on my pc, as I have no idea how to get another program on the actual Kobo
I was going to suggest that you check Azardi's site. They do have a desktop reader app which seems to be the most EPUB3 compliant one I've seen. It comes in Windows, Mac and Linux flavours. This should let you check your ebooks on the PC before transferring them to the Kobo. At least, it will give you a chance to see if the problem is with the ACCESS NetFront renderer on the Kobo or if it is an issue with the ebook itself.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Haelu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was going to suggest that you check Azardi's site. They do have a desktop reader app which seems to be the most EPUB3 compliant one I've seen. It comes in Windows, Mac and Linux flavours. This should let you check your ebooks on the PC before transferring them to the Kobo. At least, it will give you a chance to see if the problem is with the ACCESS NetFront renderer on the Kobo or if it is an issue with the ebook itself.

Regards,
David
Thanks David. I'll check that out when I get home
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
Haelu

Hi,

After running the file through Azardi, it seems that whatever font I choose in there make the text look perfect. (also choosing non-arabic fonts - I guess it automatically selects one that makes sense?) So i guess the fonts are fine, but somehow the differing fonts within the Kobo EPUB3 reader are somehow becoming skewed...
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hi,

After running the file through Azardi, it seems that whatever font I choose in there make the text look perfect. (also choosing non-arabic fonts - I guess it automatically selects one that makes sense?) So i guess the fonts are fine, but somehow the differing fonts within the Kobo EPUB3 reader are somehow becoming skewed...
The Kobo ereaders are, well, almost ridiculously sensitive to fonts. I've found some fonts where an older version worked but a newer version with 'improved' hinting looks like garbage on the screen. Part of this is issues with QT and font introspection, part of this seems to be issues with the Adobe Reader Mobile (epub2) and ACCESS NetFront (epub3) rendering engines. Of course, the two rendering engines can generate very different looking results from the same ebook just to make it even more fun.

Good luck!

David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #42
Haelu

ok, I loaded my Kobo with about 20 arabic fonts, and now it works!
Moving down the list of fonts, the one that is working is called A_Nefel_Adeti. (cooltext.com for download) I haven't checked them all, I assume others will work too.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #43
Haelu

Quote:
Moving down the list of fonts, the one that is working is called A_Nefel_Adeti. (cooltext.com for download) I haven't checked them all, I assume others will work too.
ok after checking further there still seems to be one or two small issues, but mostly it is good
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #44
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
glad it works, and thanks for the info!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #45
Haelu

here's a pic of what I managed to get.
I have had to edit a few things in Sigil, such as line spacing, so that the characters are clear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arabic kobo.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	1,020.5 KB
ID:	105954