Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Question Any News on a New Vox

With the Nexus and others arriving on the market recently, does anyone know if Kobo are going to release a new model of vox reader. I am fairly happy with both the KOBO readers but must admit the old vox is feeling a bit sluggish compared to the Playbook which I have and run the ios app on. To be honest I think the Playbook displays text better than the vox(shame it is not supported as well as the vox). So with the Nexus and Samsungs latest offering in the shops now and I noticed that Samsung have a readers hub which is powered by Kobo, how long must we wait? or should I buy a Samsung with the Kobo powered readers hub?
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I bought the Samsung Galaxy 2.7 tablet and it is so much, much better than my Kobo Vox - sorry Kobo!
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
If there's a new generation Vox in the works, the last place you'll hear about it would be from Kobo.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
quite honestly, I'd rather Kobo focus on improving their e-ink readers and tablet app software, and drop their own tablet altogether. There are plenty of great tablets, and even phones out there that do much better than the Vox, and if they focus on a reader first tablet again, it'll probably be very weak compared to other offerings at the same price point.

While I've resisting tablets for a while now, having gotten ones for the rest of the family but myself (even the 3 year old has her leappad ), I've broken down and let the family buy me a nexus 7 for my bday because I've enjoyed using my recently purchased Galaxy Nexus phone as an e-reader at night (as well as a news/web browser during the day in the office), but when I do some serious reading sessions, I always fall back to my Kobo Touch as no tablet can beat it in terms of readability.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

I must admit I kinda agree that kobo should concentrate on the touch and dump the vox. Although I use the vox it does not cope with what I am asking it to do, which is more than it can handle. This because kobo gave me access to the Google Play Store, now I am frustrated because kobo also gave me access to an under powered tablet as well. This leaves me wondering if kobo will release a new vox but then again will it have the same kit as a half decent tablet?

I am definitely now leaning towards dumping the vox and playbook and going with the nexus as there should be a better experience.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
I must admit I kinda agree that kobo should concentrate on the touch and dump the vox.
I originally just wanted a plain eReader, but I was given the Vox as a birthday present. While I would never have gone out and bought a tablet (I'm not even a laptop person) I really like the "extras" in the Vox. A couple of weeks ago I started reading an actual "book", you know, with paper pages, and it was so annoying havibg to keep the light on in bed. I'd have the same problem with a Kobo Touch.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
d.culloch
Derek

Agree with you I use the vox for night time reading and comics, can't fault it. But the disatisfaction arose when kobo gave us access to google playstore on an underpowered device that has been optimised (so kobo say) for reading. Why move away from an idea that everyone understood and was fairly happy with.

I have made my mind up and will dump the vox and use the nexus with kobo app.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
Agree with you I use the vox for night time reading and comics, can't fault it. But the disatisfaction arose when kobo gave us access to google playstore on an underpowered device that has been optimised (so kobo say) for reading. Why move away from an idea that everyone understood and was fairly happy with.

I have made my mind up and will dump the vox and use the nexus with kobo app.
The dissatisfaction arose before then, before complained and whinged that the Vox did not have access to the play store.

The play store was then added and people still whinge

But as most of us know that have been reading the kobo forum for a while, whatever kobo do it is wrong
paulsalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
d.culloch
Derek

I retract my last statement. I am not dumping my vox for the nexus. I am dumping my vox for my playbook. I have discovered the comixology and kindle apps for the playbook on GOODREADS app site that work, so I am now more than happy to make the move away from the vox.

Last edited by d.culloch; 08-29-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Repeat of a word
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
http://news.kobo.com/news/an-ereader...o-and-kobo-arc
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
The Kobo Arc is intended as the replacement for the Vox, and overall it looks great. Twice the clock speed, lots more RAM, and many other advantages. So am I going to replace the Vox with it? Likely not. I might replace my Vox with the new Kobo Glo (front-lit e-ink e-reader), actually.

Unless it's an oversight, there's no mention of SD card support in the Kobo Arc (it does mention SD card support for some of the other new e-readers, which increases the odds it's not an oversight).

And the idea of an e-ink reader with a front-lit option is kind of appealing. We'll see if I can live with the slower screen updating versus a tablet.

But I want a Windows 8 tablet anyway, and that's more appealing to me than an Android tablet, so I'll just use the Kobo app on that for times when I'd prefer a tablet over e-ink.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote