Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
mog
mog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
Kindle 4 NT (4.1.0 fw) Hacking help

Quote:
FYI: This thread is a continuation of another thread in the parent forum. It is more appropriate here in the Dev Corner forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180985

Hi,

i have a Kindle 4 NT jailbroken with the "Ixtab Simple JailBreak Method" but now where can i find the right "update package" ?

...i already tried the "Screesaver hack" ( wiki tutorial ) and it didn't work!

PS: in the K4 Wiki it says: "Update: So far this current screensaver hack is not working on the Kindle NT or the Kindle NT SO!!!! " Is there a way o can jailbreak my kindle 4 NT (4.1.0fw) ?

@geekmaster: no, my kindle is not a SO (79$) Version
mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog View Post
Hi,

i have a Kindle 4 NT jailbroken with the "Ixtab Simple JailBreak Method" but now where can i find the right "update package" ?

PS: in the K4 Wiki it says: "Update: So far this current screensaver hack is not working on the Kindle NT or the Kindle NT SO!!!! " Is there a way o can jailbreak my kindle 4 NT (4.1.0fw) ?

Ok. Good. I do not have time to research this now (or for the next few weeks). I am hoping somebody familiar with the 4.1.0 screensaver changes will help you here.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
mog
mog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
meeh, ok. Thanks

Anyone?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog View Post
Hi,

I'm afraid, there is no "Update package".
If you want to have custom screensavers, you have to do it manually.

There are manuals, how to do that.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXr94j8Vuk
or
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=252
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Gondolkodo
Gondolkodo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
You just have to SSH into the kindle (e.g. with the USBnet-methode) and then create a RUNME.sh in the /mnt/us with the following content:

Code:
mntroot rw
if [ ! -f /var/local/adunits.bkp ]; then
	mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Save, exit and make the following:
Code:
chmod +x /mnt/us/RUNME.sh; mntroot rw
Make a backup about the mntus.params file with this:
Code:
cp /var/local/system/mntus.params /var/local/system/mntus.params.BKP
Extend the original mntus.params with the followings:
Code:
if [ -e /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]; then
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
If you would like to see a log then change the "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" with "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh > /mnt/us/RUNME.log"

If you are ready, just create and link the screensaver folder, just like before:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.bkp
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
exit
As far as I know this is the only black/hackway and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.

Last edited by Gondolkodo; 06-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Gondolkodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
...As far as I know this is the only way and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.
FYI, Mobileread disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

The ads can be removed without violating the Amazon TOS by going to the Manage your Kindle page at Amazon and shelling out the difference between the cost of the SO version and the ad-free version.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Gondolkodo

It's true, and I know it, but if you read the title of this thread, it's about how to hack it.
And I tried it, works, I had set it back.

P.S.: I understand you, I have modified the original text. Sorry for my uncorrect composition.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
No problem. Thanks for the edit.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Gondolkodo: but mog has Kindle without ads and there is no
/var/local/adunits I think.

But the rest is right :-)
I just think users should learn to read and search existing answers than copy it over and over to more threads.

Last edited by hostar; 06-13-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Gondolkodo

I know only this thing and may it help, test it and let us know if it's not a working way.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I just think users should learn to read and search existing answers than copy it over and over to more threads.
Or just copy a pointer to it onto the appropriate Wiki index page.

Anyone can edit the Wiki page, no registration or login required, just be able to prove you are a human when saving the edit.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
hostar
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Anyone can edit the Wiki page, no registration or login required, just be able to prove you are a human when saving the edit.
You are right, it's there, I haven't seen this before...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._on_the_kindle
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
FYI, Mobileread disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

The ads can be removed without violating the Amazon TOS by going to the Manage your Kindle page at Amazon and shelling out the difference between the cost of the SO version and the ad-free version.
As I understand this, the moderators prefer that we not discuss HOW TO cheat amazon by violating our Terms of Service agreement, but the site owner's policy is that existing posts are not illegal and can stay here. That makes it kind of a "gray area" to be discussed carefully.

Although some of us (including myself) strongly defended amazon as the "good guys" in the past, recent experiences with amazon have made us (as discussed in PMs and in some posts) a lot less willing to defend amazon after all the hostile updates that break custom apps in 5.1.0 and 4.1.0 firmware. Also, amazon has fallen through on things they promised me verbally, by NOT calling me back or emailing me with details as they said, on multiple occasions.

If somebody has technical questions, I will continue to try to answer them, and I will try to keep my opinion about amazon out of it. If these requests stray into ad removal, I may help up to a point, but in general I will leave that up to others because it does not interest me, and I do not like getting warnings from site moderators for my posts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
geekmaster

I sure hope that amazon comes out with more "developer friendly" firmware in the future so that we will be a lot less tempted to help people remove their ads (one of the most requested kindle hacks at mobileread -- extremely popular despite the occasional moderator warning)... You cannot legislate morality, as they say...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

And if you are logged in (using the MR wiki registration), you do not even have to prove that you are human. I have mine set to autologin.

Tags
4.1.0, hack, jailbreak, k4nt, kindle 4 nt