Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #166
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The Kindle and Overdrive stuff I've read so far says US only. I hate my country.
Gee that's a bit harsh isn't it?
I realise that the smiley face probably means you were joking but having often been in a similar situation I prefer to take my frustrations out on the companies that make exclusive deals that only apply to one country rather than blame my country.
Kindle and Amazon are based in the US - they often do nice things that are limited to the US. That's why I don't have a Kindle.

I love my country.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #167
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I do love my country, but being one of the lowest population densities on the planet makes everything painfully expensive, inefficient and unavailable.

I have a Kindle because I won it. Otherwise, I'd probably have a Kobo just based on availability of stuff in Canada. I love the Kindle, but it's a pain sometimes. The inability to borrow library books is one of those things.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:14 AM   #168
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Umm... you do realise that you are complaining about population density to someone who lives in Australia don't you?
If you really want to know about isolation and expensive products imagine what it would be like if you picked up Canada and plonked it down in the middle of the ocean in the Southern Hemisphere instead of being right smack beside the US.

Sorry I'm not really trying to out do you but at least I do understand what you are talking about. I do share your frustration - hopefully we can enjoy our beautiful countries and continue to joke about their short comings.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #169
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
^I do love my country, but being one of the lowest population densities on the planet makes everything painfully expensive, inefficient and unavailable.
No doubt. I have Canadian classmates and they talk about how much cheaper some things are in the US. They love their country, too, but most of them have no desire to go back - haha.

Quote:
I have a Kindle because I won it.
Congrats! I also won my Kindle and if not for that, I would still be borrowing books from the library. I'm looking forward to using the library again, but with the Kindle this time.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #170
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
I would be happy to pay canadian or austrailian prices to have gun control, mat-leave, public health care and such in america like you do.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #171
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
I would be happy to pay canadian or austrailian prices to have gun control, mat-leave, public health care and such in america like you do.
Ditto. I don't get maternity leave - when I have a kid, I'll have to use what little sick time I have saved up, then vacation time. If I'm lucky, that will equal out to a month and a little bit, and beyond that, if I want to stay home for three months (most child care won't take infants before three months) it'll be unpaid time off.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #172
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinleb63 View Post
This was announced in April and now it's August 28th, is there any word on when this will happen?
If it is like the Kindle Lending program that they announced last year in October, they finally got it enabled on December 30th, 2010. So it was that year, but barely. It has been a longer wait this year, so hopefully they will do so sooner, but they have used all their time in the past.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #173
Ixt
Ixt began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Anyone knows how will this work?

I've bought Kindle in the US but I'm not living there. I guess that if I were to buy US only books I wouldn't be able to finish the transaction with a foreign credit card.

Would borrowing books from US Overdrive libraries require a membership or not?

Last edited by Ixt; 08-30-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Ixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #174
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixt View Post
Would borrowing books form US Overdrive libraries require a membership or not?
For my local public library and their satellite branches, you do need a library membership to borrow e-books. You can't apply for membership online even though you "check out" e-books online. Applying for a membership has to be done in person and you need proof of state residency for the free membership or you pay a fee for an out-of-state membership (but proof of a US address is also required).
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #175
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixt View Post
Anyone knows how will this work?

I've bought Kindle in the US but I'm not living there. I guess that if I were to buy US only books I wouldn't be able to finish the transaction with a foreign credit card.

Would borrowing books from US Overdrive libraries require a membership or not?
Some libraries in the U.S. allow non-resident memberships. (I don't know if that includes Canada). I have a non-resident membership to the Philadelphia Library. The first year it was $15, I just renewed this month and it went up to $35/year but they have an excellent selection, both ebooks and audiobooks, I feel it's well worth the $35.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Some libraries in the U.S. allow non-resident memberships. (I don't know if that includes Canada). I have a non-resident membership to the Philadelphia Library. The first year it was $15, I just renewed this month and it went up to $35/year but they have an excellent selection, both ebooks and audiobooks, I feel it's well worth the $35.
I have a library card there as well. My library card expired earlier this month. I just called up and told the woman on the phone that I was having a problem with my library card not knowing it had expired. She said it had expired and I asked if she could enable it and she did. No fee. It's good for yet another year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #177
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a library card there as well. My library card expired earlier this month. I just called up and told the woman on the phone that I was having a problem with my library card not knowing it had expired. She said it had expired and I asked if she could enable it and she did. No fee. It's good for yet another year.
Really? That's lucky for you! Maybe she didn't realize you had a non-resident membership?

I knew mine expired in August of this year but didn't know the exact date. So when I was no longer able to access the library I just printed off the Application, marked it Renewal and mailed my check. Maybe I should have just called like you did! One thing I was glad of, I had several books on my Hold list and some of them I've been waiting for forever and I was afraid when my account lapsed I would have to start all over on the Hold list, but when they reactivated my account, my Hold list was still intact.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Really? That's lucky for you! Maybe she didn't realize you had a non-resident membership?

I knew mine expired in August of this year but didn't know the exact date. So when I was no longer able to access the library I just printed off the Application, marked it Renewal and mailed my check. Maybe I should have just called like you did! One thing I was glad of, I had several books on my Hold list and some of them I've been waiting for forever and I was afraid when my account lapsed I would have to start all over on the Hold list, but when they reactivated my account, my Hold list was still intact.
I found out about my account because I got email saying an eBook was ready. After my account was renewed, I was all set. All my holds still there. I know they can take credit cards. So if I did have to pay, I would have asked if I could pay by plastic and continued on my way. I called because I wasn't expecting to get a free year. I was hoping to be able to pay over the phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #179
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
This is great news. Particularly impressed that they'll be able to save all my notes on the book, so the next time I check it out I'll still be able to see them. (Or if I buy it later, the notes will migrate to the book I bought.)

Guess this means I don't have to spend so much time trolling the 'net for free books anymore, right? I'm just kidding, I'll never stop trolling for free books.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #180
cfo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Guess this means I don't have to spend so much time trolling the 'net for free books anymore, right? I'm just kidding, I'll never stop trolling for free books.
My thoughts exactly.