Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
From teleread I think, and my favorite gadget was suggested on an ebook thread on slashdot.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hah! Just found this topic, good read to hear other's experiences finding this place. Mine was pretty simple; I already knew I was going to pick up an eReader when I first heard about them (I actually tried to find a Librie, but they're pretty scarce... even here in Japan), and I found most of my information through the Make magazine website <- pretty cool magazine with a ton of neat ideas! Anyway, I had stumbled across this site while still garnering information about the device, but kind of blew it off for its simplistic forum look. I know, I know, looks aren't everything but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend so much time farming a forum for information. As luck would have it, I found my way steered back to the site when looking for ways to make my existing eBooks compatible with the device and, running out of options through Google, I found myself back here again. This time I decided to browse a bit more and found out that I had initially ignored an excellent source of information, tools, and great people! I've followed a few other forums and tend to notice sometimes there are people that aren't too helpful or just act like kids; not here, everyone is quite helpful and the developers actually listen to people's comments/suggestions. Right now, quite frankly, I'm addicted to this site and usually check a few times a day to see what's new and try to help others when I can.

Thanks for bringing us a great source of information to the community Alex! Even though a few of us intially didn't see through the retro-esque interface, I've found the search features and minimalistic approach to be quite useful and non-distracting.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Even though a few of us intially didn't see through the retro-esque interface, I've found the search features and minimalistic approach to be quite useful and non-distracting.
This is a nice way of putting it
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #19
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Finding MobileRead: Decided that it might finally be time to buy either an iLiad or Reader, went Googling for reviews. Used a lot of feedback from here before purchasing the Reader.

Gadget: I have to have one favorite? Since I can't remember how I came across the idea of buying my first Tablet PC, I'll settle on that I was looking for a new PDA, and by Googling found the already-discontinued Fossil Abacus WristPDA. Then Amazon supplied me with one for $35.
Second-favorite Gadget of all time: I had a little mad money left following Grad School (about $1,100 *whew, those were the days...*) and I read an ad on a flight (Skymall, I think) for the (then) Brand New Apple Newton MessagePad 2000. Hooked.
Third-favorite Gadget of all time: TRS-80, Model III. A Christmas present from my parents so many moons ago.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 AM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yay! TRS-80 Model III has a special place in my heart also! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have read about this forum on Russian forum dedicated to ebook readers http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/index.php
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #22
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
As a kid it was a toss up between the crystal set i built or the wired walkie-talkies.

my first tape recorder was a blast as a teen

later an Apple ][, walkman,

someday that car that parks itself
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I found out about MobileRead a couple months ago when I was researching eInk. Came back recently and joined when the release for Kindle was getting near.

One of my favorite gadgets was the original Compaq Portable PC. It wasn't mine, didn't have $10,000, but belonged to my employer. I was spending a lot of time traveling from the east coast to a research facility near the west coast and I can still remember people whipping their heads around wondering what the *$#* I was carrying on board the plane. The downside was that it was really heavy.

Also for those long plane trips I loved my portable cassette player and headphones. I think it was a Sony Walkman.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #24
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Google whilst looking around for information on where e-readers were at. The posts seemed mostly helpful (or at least interesting/funny if not helpful) and the atmosphere (or should it be e-atmosphere?) is nice.

I joined when I bought my bookeen gen3. Thankfully the posts all make me think I made the right decision

Last edited by fugsly; 11-21-2007 at 09:04 AM.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #25
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I first read about e ink in my wifes Fortune magazine of all places. Did a search for electronic books and found ManyBooks and that linked me to both irex and this forum. Easy really.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I found MobileRead from a posting on Fark.com. It was a link to a story at Gizmodo or Engagdet.about the SONY Reader. Was amazed at how many people derided the device in the comments. It seemed neat, & I had been interested in digital texts before that (like using Project Gutenberg to free shelf space). When I researched electro-phoretic ink, was astounded, and I found this forum.

I like the very simple layout, the lack of trolls, flames, memes, and other whathaveyou's that crowd the valid content on other online fora.

Were it not for MobileRead, would not have found a great deal on my fancy digital text device, nor received a holiday gift from SONY, or had some good conversations about the future of books.

The PRS-500 ranks high in my personal pantheon of gagdet. Until I get my own speeder-bike, I surmise that it will remain at the top of the list.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #27
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Google. How utterly mundane and at the same time indicative of the web at the moment.

The reason I stayed? This is simply the most friendly,helpful, literate and active forum I have been a member of.

Thanks all
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On Amazon.com a lot of people berated the Kindle for things they had no idea what they were talking about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I think from PalmAddict. I only popped in from time to time for years.

By the way. Is there a history of MobileRead? I don't know when it started, what changes have been made, et cetera? It has become a very important site!
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
I think from PalmAddict. I only popped in from time to time for years.

By the way. Is there a history of MobileRead? I don't know when it started, what changes have been made, et cetera? It has become a very important site!
There is a very short history in the wiki but it should probably be expanded.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote