Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
How many people are still using and loving their PRS-505s?

I've been stoked to upgrade this year, but so far I'm pretty disappointed in all the offerings. I know it's impossible to really get everything I want, but I almost feel like waiting yet another generation before upgrading!

I want a device that has: physical page turn buttons, especially on the side (like the PRS-505 does on the right), matte casing, Wi-Fi, a web browser (to download from cloud services like Dropbox/Sugarsync), and touch.

It doesn't seem like a very extensive list, and yet it seems impossible to fulfill. The T1 has a glossy casing and not enough (in my opinion) page turn buttons. The Kindle No-Touch doesn't have touch, and there are a few reports of bad screen quality on the kindle forum. B&N Nook STR doesn't have a browser, or only a weird hidden browser that doesn't support downloading epubs. Kindle Touch has no physical page turn buttons at all.

i was still going to get the Kindle for the 3G alone, but now that 3G is restricted to Wiki and Amazon, I don't want to pay $50 for it. I thought about the Nook STR but i don't like the stock limitations, and I'm confused about the rooting options.. something about new hardware now that will be bricked if you try to root? I could be wrong on that, but I found it all confusing, don't like the lack of a browser (which makes no sense to me if they're not providing 3G for free anyways..) or the restriction of only 250mb of non-B&N content.

The T1, maybe with some new hacking to allow Android apps, is basically what I'd decided on, despite a few shortcomings (glossy case, fixable by DecalGirl I know, but I'd prefer to have the option to use it naked, not enough page turn buttons, and not enough customization options.. more fonts is nice, but ability to upload my own fonts, and to change margins/line spacing/indents would have been nice), but then.. I was reading on my 505 and realized I still love it. Of course there have been advancements in screen tech and Wi-Fi would be nice to get new books without having to hook it up. but it works SO WELL. and it has held up so well. It doesn't look "new".. the page turn buttons on the right have darkened a bit (so you can see I do prefer side page turn buttons) and there are a couple of chips on the top of the reader, but hey.. it looks ALMOST as good as new. and for something that I've used for more than three years very heavily, being a voracious reader, it's almost miraculous to me that it works so well, looks so good, and keeps on going. (Compare my iphone, which has been treated well, and the sleep button is breaking after only a year and is likely unfixable).

So my very long, boring thoughts on the new generation of E-Ink Readers aside.. I'm curious who still uses their 505, and are you going to upgrade this time around? Or are you still waiting? and if so, for what feature?

Maybe I'll just get a Kindle Fire just for fun, and wait on the matte epub-reading wi-fi e-ink touch reader with side page turn buttons (I'd like customization options like more fonts, indents, line spacing, margin options as in Stanza, but I can live without that). Maybe next year..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Mikh
Mikh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Nook Color
well I still use my sony 505 and its about four years old:-) must confess that I use my nook color a lot more because my wife prefers subdued (dark) lighting B-). it still looks beautiful as a piece of kit. pity sony didn't keep the body plan as a template for the newer models. all I would improve would be the screen to Pearl display.
Mikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikh View Post
well I still use my sony 505 and its about four years old:-) must confess that I use my nook color a lot more because my wife prefers subdued (dark) lighting B-). it still looks beautiful as a piece of kit. pity sony didn't keep the body plan as a template for the newer models. all I would improve would be the screen to Pearl display.
Amen to that. Maybe I'm just used to the placement of the page turn buttons, but I find it so convenient for one-handed reading.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I still am using mine to read fiction at home. I travel with it occasionally, but it is a bit heavy and large for putting in a coat pocket (especially with the leather case). I'm eyeballing the T1 just because it is smaller and lighter (and faster I hope). Still, I'm very happy with my purchase of the 505 three years ago, even at the $300+ it cost back then.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Still using my four plus year old 505 and my wife using her four year old 505... I have others as well but still use 505 as primary reader... it works and if it ain't broke then don't fix it...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'm not using my old one, but my elderly neighbor has been getting a heckuva lot of use out of it. The battery isn't what it used to be, but he's alright with plugging it into the AC wall plug every night.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
I'm still using my 505. I've had it for about three years and I use it every day.

I'm holding out for a color eink device with a 9" screen, good PDF reading capabilities, and no touch ability (or dedicated buttons so I never have to use touch). Color is a nice to have but the others are requirements for me. I keep looking at the Kindle DX, but they are still too expensive. I've also read that the PDF capabilities regarding zooming and panning are poor.

I think that I would still use my 505 if I bought the other larger device.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I want a device that has: physical page turn buttons, especially on the side (like the PRS-505 does on the right)
Using PRS+ I changed the big center joypad button on my 505 to turn to next page. Very nice for a button, but I recently got a 950 and like the touch screen turn feature better.

Quote:
but ability to upload my own fonts, and to change margins/line spacing/indents would have been nice), but then.. I was reading on my 505 and realized I still love it.
Using PRS+ I chose my fonts, indents, line spacing etc on my 505.

Quote:
So my very long, boring thoughts on the new generation of E-Ink Readers aside.. I'm curious who still uses their 505, and are you going to upgrade this time around? Or are you still waiting? and if so, for what feature?
I just bought a battery replacement kit for my 505, it's a good reader and will make a fine backup ereader. I like the quicker page turns of my 950 and the longer screen so I will be using it as my primary ereader for some time to come.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
When my wife reads, she reads on 505.
Today it works as good as on the first day 4 years ago. Only battery life has dropped to 1/3 of what it used to be. It lasts for about 4-5 days.

The only limitation is it is extremely slow with epubs.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I still use it, and I love it. Yes, it has it quirks ( like spontaneously re-booting), but it works like a charm . However, I am tempted by T1, since I am having problems to get library books on my 505. .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm still using my old Sony 505 on an almost daily basis. It's nearly 4 years old and battered now but still works perfectly. When Sony stopped making them I bought a backup unit - which is still sitting in my storage cupboard.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I gave my wife my 505 the day my 950 arrived. The 505 is 1 month shy of being 4 years old and is used for several hours a day every day. When I was using it, I probably spent 3 to 5 hours a day, every day, reading on it (I never watch TV, preferring to read). From the day my wife took it over, she has spent 2 to 4 hours a day reading on it.

The 505 is still going strong. I've asked my wife if she would like a newer model and her answer is "no!" She loves reading on the 505.

If my 950 died, I think I would return to the 505 and share it with my wife before buying a newer device. I think that the 950 remains state of the art in terms of features and quality for a reader rather than for a web surfer, but the 505 truly is a device that can hold its own among all the competition.

Interestingly, whereas Kindles, Nooks, and Kobos constantly need to have their firmware updated, the 505 (and 950) has had minimal (I think only 1) firmware update yet it continues to provide an excellent reading experience.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
The 505 is/was indeed excellent. I'm from the UK, I imported one fairly close to the US launch for £175. Money very well spent, it served me well till I foolishly sold it because I thought the iPad(1) would replace it as my main reader. Wrong. iPad has its strengths but I'm no fan of it strictly as an ereader - too unwieldy and glarey imo.

So, I relented and bought a 650 and have no desire to upgrade from that any time soon. Had I not sold the 505 I'd still be happy with it probably. I was fortunate when I sold it, as the x50 models were yet to even be announced and the 505, then discontinued, was perceived as better than the 600 so the price had held - sold it for £174, £1 less than what I bought it for 18+ months earlier

Last edited by yegon; 10-07-2011 at 07:45 AM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm still using a 505. I purchased a 650 and Nook Touch, but stuck with the 505.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I used my 505 for years, and passed it on to my husband once I bought the PRS-350. He now uses it daily, and it is still going strong.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote