Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Still possible to pickup an iLiad?

Maybe it is time to call iRex about actually placing an order?

Here is the news headline on http://www.irextechnologies.com/home.htm :

"Sales iLiad about to start."

If you then read:

"To individual consumers who have sent in their request for notification, we recommend to wait for our consumer version, which will have a more extended functionality (September 2006)."

It sounds like this line might apply to us more:

"In alignment with the availability of the formal approbation certificates, our B2B contacts in other parts of the world will be invited to enroll by July."

I am guessing the problems with the consumer version are format support, reader integration with the stylus, no ability to browser the web, and high price. This is based on the info from Henrique. They must have sorted-out the power management problems because even B2B markets like having good battery times

I really only like the idea of the iLiad over the Sony Reader because it has a bigger screen, more color levels, and I thought it would be coming out sooner.

I plan on emailing/calling iRex and asking them:

1. The consumer version will have nothing but software updates, right?

2. If I guy the iLiad now would I be able to get the software updates that the consumers get?

3. (just to clarify what Henrique was saying): The B2B can read PDFs correctly, right?

4. Is it possible for me to purchase a B2B iLiad now?

Well, if any of you get in touch with iRex before I do make sure to post the answers!
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
llearion
llearion began at the beginning.

Hi all

I've been following this forum for some weeks now, sometimes with great entertainment, but if I read the "webshop" from irex:

In order to be able to manage the indicated response, iRex Technologies will follow a phased approach with respect to iLiad deliveries:

-We will first roll-out the sales to our B2B customers in Europe, who will be personally invited by e-mail in June to place their orders.
-In alignment with the availability of the formal approbation certificates, our B2B contacts in other parts of the world will be invited to enroll by July.
-To individual consumers who have sent in their request for notification, we recommend to wait for our consumer version, which will have a more extended functionality (September 2006).

It seems to me that they don't have enough readers and they want to make sure that their business costumers get theirs first and that the extended functionality is only the extra software developed by that time which is also uploaded to the ones sold in june. It might still be possible that we can order them form the website in some short time, but Irex doesn't want us to
llearion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Update.

Just called the U.S.A. iRex office ( http://www.irextechnologies.com/support.htm ). Spoke to Jeff. I told him I was somewhere between a techie and a developer (-: He answered all questions and was quite easy to talk to:

Answer: Yes. Software updates are released every two weeks on average. During April there was a software update every week.

2. If I buy the iLiad now would I be able to get the software updates that the consumers get?
Answer: Yes. Refer to above.

3. (just to clarify what Henrique was saying): The B2B can read PDFs correctly, right?
Answer: It has "a basic PDF reader." It can display text and images. He also said that "I find that the XHTML and HTML viewers work best for me."

Answer: "Real soon." B2B partners will be coming out with their own iLiads in fall. UPDATE: ribrdb has said that Jeff now says that nobody but B2B customers will be able to buy the iLiad before September.

Other interesting info:
1. He really hammered home the fact that the iLiad can only connect to iRex's website.

2. He said that the hardware is absolutely final, and that their is now problem with a techie buying it now.

3. He said that he had been with the iRex for a year.

Last edited by sammykrupa; 06-01-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Maybe it is time to call iRex about actually placing an order?

Here is the news headline on http://www.irextechnologies.com/home.htm :

"Sales iLiad about to start."

If you then read:

"To individual consumers who have sent in their request for notification, we recommend to wait for our consumer version, which will have a more extended functionality (September 2006)."

It sounds like this line might apply to us more:

"In alignment with the availability of the formal approbation certificates, our B2B contacts in other parts of the world will be invited to enroll by July."

I am guessing the problems with the consumer version are format support, reader integration with the stylus, no ability to browser the web, and high price. This is based on the info from Henrique. They must have sorted-out the power management problems because even B2B markets like having good battery times

I really only like the idea of the iLiad over the Sony Reader because it has a bigger screen, more color levels, and I thought it would be coming out sooner.

I plan on emailing/calling iRex and asking them:

2. If I guy the iLiad now would I be able to get the software updates that the consumers get?

Well, if any of you get in touch with iRex before I do make sure to post the answers!
if it possible - i want to pick up a iliad asap !!! My office is close by Eindhoven (apx. 100km) -> iliad + 100km = OK
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
llearion
llearion began at the beginning.

I really hope I will be able to buy it soon, I really don't want to print those 6,000 pages I need in July and august, would take me forever on my 6 years old home printer
llearion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sammy, did he say anything about the possibility for consumers to acquire a unit before September 2006?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Sammy, did he say anything about the possibility for consumers to acquire a unit before September 2006?
I can't recall Alex!

If you call and ask I would appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I already sent them an e-mail awaiting reply.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Quote:
If they don't get back to you quickly I would call Jeff at the number on the website (-:

Not sure how busy he is, though. (-:

It was actually quite interesting, he must have thought I was a blogger or something based upon the way he was dealing with me.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Good luck...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
That's some good news...but I think i'll wait for the reply from Jinke...and if they sound positive I thinkI'll take the V2 and then wait for a more fully-featured reader.

I'd still like the Iliad, but I'm not so sure about how believable their battery-life statements are...if get it done so that it makes at least 5000pageturns per battery then i'm ok, but if it just lasts for a couple of days light reading, then i'm not interested. There is no way to find out whether it'll do this or not...

Maybe i'll try to get the information from them when I contact them tomorrow (if I manage to reach them), but I doubt it...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
1. [Jeff of Irex] really hammered home the fact that the iLiad can only connect to iRex's website.
I knew it! Note the shrewd choice of words from Irex's FAQ:
Quote:
Is the E-reader restricted to feeding by iDS only?

No, The E-reader is an open system that also works with your laptop/PC (wireless/wired). The E-reader is also fit for reading from a USB stick, SD cards and CF2.
Note specifically that the question asks if the E-reader is restricted, not the WiFi connection. By shifting the emphasis to the product has a whole, it becomes possible to insinuate addtional openness through other inputs like USB, SD and CF. What we really wanted to know, and what the question and answer adroitly avoid addressing, is whether or not the wireless functionality will only connect to an Irex proxy.

Now we know.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 AM   #13
ribrdb
iLiad Freak
ribrdb began at the beginning.

Device: Newton 2000, 2100
I spoke with Jeff today too. He said that they're not releasing to consumers yet because the os isn't prefected yet. This suggests to me that they're still working on the power usage issues. He also said that they're planning on a consumer release in september or october, so it doesn't sound like they have a final date yet. I just hope they release them to developers soon so I can get mine.
ribrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Syaka
Syaka began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrdb
I spoke with Jeff today too. He said that they're not releasing to consumers yet because the os isn't prefected yet. This suggests to me that they're still working on the power usage issues. He also said that they're planning on a consumer release in september or october, so it doesn't sound like they have a final date yet. I just hope they release them to developers soon so I can get mine.
But that's actually not very good news...if they want to focus on B2B right now and the OS and power usage issues are not finalized yet, they are only shooting themselves in the foot. Early adopters are more willing to put up with inconveniences, but businesses are not going to want to spend money on a product that half performs, imho.
Syaka is offline   Reply With Quote