Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #1021
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm. What Ixtab said.

I honestly can't think of a more clear way of saying it.
"One at a time" and "Update Your Kindle" method seems blindingly obvious but perhaps my perception of that simplicity is polluted by familiarity.

Perhaps a video is in order or something.

Will think on it.
Anyways, use the UPDATE YOUR KINDLE option from inside the SETTINGS menu.

And One At a Time means Do not, Under any circumstances, expect more than one .bin to be processed by the installing mechanism. It also means that that FAT ROOT (/mnt/us or /Kindle or whatever your OS calls it) must only contain ONE .bin at a time.

I think that is a pretty exhaustive explanation.

Video maybe.
Cheers.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #1022
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradeve View Post
Hi guys,
sorry for boring you with these problems and thanks to devs and community for bringing us this great piece of software.

I'm trying to install KUAL 2.1 on Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1 jailbreaked using the latest Kubrick yesterday.

Installing the KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 in "documents" folder gives me error about "test device", so I tried to install prerequisites, following these steps:

1 - Helpers

I've placed the "helper" dir under FAT-ROOT/extensions/helper

2 - First method
Just tried regular prerequisites, installing them one at a time; tried the following couples:

Code:
update_k4_ALL_devcerts_install.bin
update_k4_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bin
Code:
update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_devcerts_install.bin
update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bin
Every time, even inverting the order of bin installs, it complains me with "UPDATE ERROR: 3".

3 - Second method

So, I've tried the alternative comprehensive bins, from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=2

Tried to install:

Code:
update_kindlet-dev-20130710-k4-ALL_install.bin
update_kindlet-dev-20130710-k5-ALL_install.bin
But it gives me the same error as above.

Notes
  • I have full SSH over USB and WiFi access
  • I move bins in Kindle using SSH over WiFi, because even when moving them in FAT-ROOT using USB, the "Update software" in menu doesn't seem to be active (so using WiFi is easier); I install them simply rebooting the Kindle.

Any hint?
  • "Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1" known here as "K5", see:
    https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
    You can immediately give up on anything with a "K4" in its name, wrong model.
  • "install by ... rebooting" is **WRONG**
    Use the "Update my Kindle" menu entry.
  • Nearly every package includes a "README" file and the post they are attached to also has directions.
    Read those things, follow those directions for each package.
    We have our reasons.

Last edited by knc1; 08-15-2013 at 08:30 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #1023
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
The release archives include an old KUAL.cfg file. Here's a link to the latest one
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela....cfg?at=master
When you upgrade from an earlier version to 2.1 check if /mnt/us/extensions/KUAL.cfg exists and if it does you may want to amend it with the new KUAL.cfg in the above link. No action is necessary if /mnt/us/extensions/KUAL.cfg isn't there.
Twobob, you may want to replace the file in the release archives.
Hmm.... not sure how I missed this...

Will do.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #1024
twobob

done. will be in next release.

Although I have to say that collation doesn't appear to be working as expected.

Will dig further.

EDIT: Okay so the do.sh is running correctly AND the value is being changed in the KUAL.cfg.

I'll look more into it.

Last edited by twobob; 08-15-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #1025
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Err, been a while since I tried, but I vaguely remember stepk's extra KUAL menu properly being injected in the top KUAL menu (that was a while ago, 20130701 I think?).

Will check it out again.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #1026
twobob

Yeah. I'm trying it now.

Will clean stuff down maybe. Currently not collating.

Will check my build.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #1027
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twobob: Yup, definitely working on my Touch & K4. Which model were your playing with?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1028
twobob

Paperwhite.

I'll test it on the others

EDIT: False alarm. Works perfectly

PEBCAK.

DURR!

Last edited by twobob; 08-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1029
naskrina
naskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite with SO
java.security.AccessControlException in crash.log

Hi, I have installed both prerequisites, and then dropped KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 into documents folder. It opens a menu with a KUAL folder inside, and that's all...
When I plug through USB, I don't see any us/extensions or extenxions folder. There is a "developer" folder though, which contains "KUAL", and there are three folders: "metadata", "temp", "work". Last one contains a file called crash.log
And here's the log from it:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[8/15/13 10:30 PM] KUAL (v. 2.1)

Code:
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/tmp/KUAL.mbx read)
	at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.File.isFile(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.Util.sureFileReader(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.resources.MailboxProcessor.isRinging(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.resources.MailboxProcessor.access$000(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.resources.MailboxProcessor$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.timer.JTimerAdapter$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
What's the reason for that?

Last edited by twobob; 08-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.
naskrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #1030
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@naskrina: Standard behavior?

You need to put stuff in the extensions folder yourself, KUAL is just the framework & UI that interprets those.

(As for the crash log, the fact that it exists is completely normal, and the specific backtrace you quoted happens sometimes, possibly a race condition somewhere where KUAL tries to do stuff before the Kindlet jailbreak has had time to do its thing? @ixtab: I vaguely remember this being the reason you use a 'loading screen' for CM & JBPatch?).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #1031
twobob

Let me link you a list...

Try a couple from there

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205064

why not start with

MINESWEEPER
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=15

Last edited by twobob; 08-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #1032
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@naskrina: Standard behavior?

You need to put stuff in the extensions folder yourself, KUAL is just the framework & UI that interprets those.

(As for the crash log, the fact that it exists is completely normal, and the specific backtrace you quoted happens sometimes, possibly a race condition somewhere where KUAL tries to do stuff before the Kindlet jailbreak has had time to do its thing? @ixtab: I vaguely remember this being the reason you use a 'loading screen' for CM & JBPatch?).
Hmm... it USED to create the folder if it didn't exist?

I should check it still does I guess...

@naskrina

but yeah. put the stuff in a folder called "extensions" on the ROOT of the kindle when it is mounted.

Are you saying it didn't make one?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1033
naskrina
naskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud ofnaskrina has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite with SO
extensions folder

Yeah, it didn't create the folder)
After I created it in the root and loaded the Kterm folder there - it worked!
So thanks for the great kindlet, it works!!
naskrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #1034
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... possibly a race condition somewhere where KUAL tries to do stuff before the Kindlet jailbreak has had time to do its thing? @ixtab: I vaguely remember this being the reason you use a 'loading screen' for CM & JBPatch?.
Yep, something along these lines. I could never really put my finger on it (if I could, I would have fixed it), but the Kindlet Jailbreak is indeed a bit touchy with the timing. If one tries to use permissions too soon after they have been requested, they will throw an AccessControlException. I don't know why that is, because the KJB code is essentially single-threaded. So it must be something further down the line (in the policy implementation, or even in the JVM/cvm itself).

That said, the splash screens in CM and JBPatch are there for a different reason: the init() method of a Kindlet can take at most 5 seconds (of which -- subjectively -- 3 seconds are already consumed by the Kindlet framework itself). So to make the Kindle happy, I only display a splash screen and return immediately, while all of the actual initialization work is happening in a new thread in the background, which finally updates the UI once the initialization is complete.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #1035
twobob

Hmm if it isn't making the folder anymore... That's not good.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified