Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Gotnoteeth
Gotnoteeth began at the beginning.

Device: literari & android tablet
Anybody still using a Literari? Need advice!

Literari help needed: saving books & firmware

Hi everyone. I just joined this community. And already need advice.

I got this literari as a gift maybe 3 years ago. About a year ago someone downloaded about 100 books on it for me. But when I tried to upgrade the firmware, I kept getting error messages so I gave up and put it in the draw. Well, I finally took it out again.

But now it isn't even connecting to the wifi (maybe the battery is still just too low) - luckily I saw an old thread on this topic that said you can upgrade the firmware using an SD card instead of downloading directly -which is brilliant -but I am wondering if anybody has an updated link to the most updated firmware since that link was posted back in 2011?

My next question is whether you know how to remove books that are on the literari and store them - initially I bought a flashdrive but I see there's no USB port which I hadn't noticed before. Then I thought I could just transfer them to a cheap Android tablet I just bought - but having the same no ports problem with that. Also I looked at the Literari's instruction manual which says it doesn't copy books stored on an SD card into its internal memory so I figure that also means the reverse is true - I can't copy the books already downloaded on it to an SD card.

Would really appreciate help because I'd hate to lose these books if the literari goes down or I have to do a reset and I'd also like to be able to read them on my new device once I figure out how to use that!
Gotnoteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Gotnoteeth

Ok well so much for that idea - I actually just tried to insert an SD to update the literari using that method and guess what? It has no SD slot at the top. Nada. Now what?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Literati does have an SD slot. All the reviews I checked say so (here's one), and they show it at 1:20 in this video:

Are you sure it's a Literati?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Gotnoteeth

Thanks

Thanks but for some reason every time I try and watch the video I get an error message.

Mine is definitely a literari but it is black not white. All I could find that might possibly be an SD drive was covered with a black rubber which I removed but trying to insert an SD card wasn't working - the device just didn't do anything that looked like it recognized it and I'm not even sure it was a slot for an SD drive - I did read where some models don't have one. I didn't really hear or feel it spring into place when I shoved it in there. And I I had to get it out using tweasers.

Next I tried connecting it to my computer just to see if I could at least save the books that someone had transferred to it a year ago incase I can figure out how to upgrade it. I could copy them onto my computer using a USB but unfortunately my computer can't read them - I see the folders with author and title but it keeps saying "unknown" when I click on it to open it up read. I wanted to actually transfer them to the android tablet I just picked up at microcenter but I don't know how. I really know nothing about these ereaders as I am just now starting to use it.

I can't connect to wifi to upgrade without getting error messages and I can't figure out the SD drive - presuming that slot was really an SD slot - so I don't really think its going to be upgraded. Not even sure what the last upgrade for it was.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the General Discussion forum, which is for "...e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format," which is clearly stated on the main page.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.

If you are still there, I can't find the upgrade files, they are probably on a drive somewhere.

I still use my black and silver Literati nearly daily. It has a keyboard at the bottom and a SD card slot at top center. The card goes in with the contacts facing you when looking at the display. Mine also has a USB port at the bottom, my PC sees the literati as a flash drive but complains about the SD card being formatted in a non Windows format. All of my ebooks are in non-DRM epub so I can read them across multiple ereaders. Your ebooks are probably in Kobo's propritary DRM'd epub format and can't be read by a non Kobo ereader.

You can use calibre to put new books on your reader as well as move books from your Literati to your hard drive.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote