Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Microsoft to cut its Surface orders in half (2 millions units instead of 4 millions)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/digiti...151028645.html

Quote:
Microsoft's decision to do its own hardware with the Surface tablet is not working out, according to a story at Taiwanese site DigiTimes.

It cut its order of Surface tablets for the year to two million units, down from four million, according to supply chain sources speaking with DigiTimes.

Says DigiTimes, "sources from the upstream supply chain believe [Windows 8] may not perform as well as expected in the market."

Other PC companies like Asus, Samsung, and Dell are seeing weak demand for Windows 8 tablets, says DigiTimes.

Yesterday, Asus CFO David Chang confirmed this, saying, "Demand for Windows 8 is not that good right now."
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I think that the problem is the fact that people prefer to try the new OS on their old hardware. Microsoft Corp has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses in the month since the launch.

There is a very good reason for users to want to test the OS first. When I got a laptop with Vista back in 2007, and I hated it, I was surprised to find out that I couldn't downgrade because there were no drivers for that model for XP. It's always best to be cautious with new Windows OS.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Because Microsoft waited so long to get on the bandwagon they needed an absolute stunner to have any hope of getting a foot hold, and at a very competitive price.

Basically, the failed to do that. No real surprise to me
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I think that the problem is the fact that people prefer to try the new OS on their old hardware. Microsoft Corp has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses in the month since the launch.

There is a very good reason for users to want to test the OS first. When I got a laptop with Vista back in 2007, and I hated it, I was surprised to find out that I couldn't downgrade because there were no drivers for that model for XP. It's always best to be cautious with new Windows OS.
the 40 million licenses are sold to manufacturers, not the end users.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Yes. Good point
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Arithonne
Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I think that the problem is the fact that people prefer to try the new OS on their old hardware.
I've never understood why people would want to do that. Especially since the results of doing that from XP on tends be things like "yay my sound card no longer works /sarcasm."
Arithonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
the browser on the surface RT needs serious improvement.

1. there is no forward button....after hitting back button
2. back button is very buggy...often doesn't work.
3. whenever u hit the back button it has to refind and redownload the page on the net, since it wasn't stored in a cache. this makes browsing very slow. the google search app is actually better at surfing the net for this reason...since u can go back and forward through the pages you've visited (this is very tough, if at all possible, on the surface browser). this seems so basic of a feature that i have to say the IE developers for the RT are incompetent and should be fired.
4. when u click on a link there is no way to have it open in a new tab or window. thus it becomes a chore to navigate backwards since the back button often doesn't work.

other than this, i think the surface RT is a great device. the negative reviews are completely full of BS.

Last edited by markbot; 11-29-2012 at 11:29 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithonne View Post
I've never understood why people would want to do that. Especially since the results of doing that from XP on tends be things like "yay my sound card no longer works /sarcasm."
We have upgraded to PCs -- and everything runs much faster and smoother. And no, I didn't reformat, I upgraded in place. The only thing that bugs me is that I can't use the snap interface, since my resolution is only 1280x800. So Windows 8 apps are pretty useless for me, since I cannot multitask with them. Rebooting now just takes a few seconds --- that alone is worth the price of admissions for me.

And I didn't have to look for a single hardware driver.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-29-2012 at 11:33 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
http://techland.time.com/2012/11/29/...ipment-claims/

This makes a lot of sense --- doing the math it that story seems unlikely, MS to have even dreamed of selling 4 million Surface RT units in 2 months seems ridiculous given the extremely limited availability.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
the 40 million licenses are sold to manufacturers, not the end users.
No:
Quote:
Sales of the Windows 8 operating system, which was launched on October 26, were driven by upgrades rather than users purchasing the software on new machines, according to Reuters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithonne View Post
If these people already have the hardware, why shouldn't they just get the OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
the browser on the surface RT needs serious improvement.
Can you install Firefox or Chrome?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
From the same article:
Quote:
However, there is now a much higher volume of PC users worldwide than in 2001, and Windows 8′s upgrade price is far less than it has traditionally charged for new versions of Windows.

Many of the sales are to PC manufacturers, who in turn sell a large number of machines to companies, very few of which are using Windows 8 yet.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Can you install Firefox or Chrome?
You could do, but are they available for Surface RT?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Like injapan said, they would have needed great hardware (not lousy screen resolution) at very competitive prices. Who would pick an RT over an iPad?
As a previous WinMo user (6.5, dubbed "Pocket PC Phone Edition"), I would also be weary that their stuff is not upgradeable, and their app store is very limited. I got burned in the past, so unless it's full fledged Windows, it will take a lot of convincing to get me back. A great screen resolution, tiny price and cool colors with the keyboard INCLUDED may have swayed me.

Last edited by xendula; 11-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I don't believe they've sold 40 million licenses to Win8. Says who? Someone from inside Microsoft? Of course they're going to say "we've sold tons, people love it, come get yours!"

You expect them to say, "Yeah, it's been a flop. Nobody wants our new OS."?

I want to hear it from the stores that are selling the computers, tablets and OS upgrades. I'd be more likely to believe them.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I don't believe they've sold 40 million licenses to Win8. Says who? Someone from inside Microsoft? Of course they're going to say "we've sold tons, people love it, come get yours!"

You expect them to say, "Yeah, it's been a flop. Nobody wants our new OS."?

I want to hear it from the stores that are selling the computers, tablets and OS upgrades. I'd be more likely to believe them.
Maybe the numbers are world-wide and not US only? That would a bit easier to believe.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote