Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Reading on a Smartphone

Who hasn't read a text message, directions, a menu, or news story, an article or even a book on a phone? Books are possible though difficult which is why we have dedicated readers, and tablets of various sizes.

Here is an article about the Smart Phones Screen sizes, from 3.5" to 5." Remember that eReaders used to come in 5" sizes, then passed through the 6" size to the new 7" size which is also the size of a lot of regular tablets.
Some have even claimed that you need 9.7" to give the perfect "experience" and "magic."

"What’s the Perfect Screen Size for Smartphones?
Posted by Josh Smith | 12/23/2011 |"

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12...r-smartphones/

"When it comes to picking a smartphone, the screen is still one of the most critical features. While outdoor readability, vibrant colors and deep blacks are important, I’m mainly talking about the size of the screen and the resolution."

3.5," 4.0," 4.5," 4.65," 5" and larger?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am currently using a five inch Dell Streak.
I wear fishing shirts, and I am pretty sure a six inch phone would fit in my breast pocket (as my phone is in the left breast pocket, and my PRS-T1 is in my right breast pocket.)
So how about a six inch dual screen clamshell phone?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I used to read exclusively on my old iPhone 3GS, with its 3.5" 320x480 screen. It was passable. I now read on my HTC HD7S, with a 4.3" 480x800 screen and it's much better.

Honestly, though, screen size is less important than resolution. An iPhone 4 or newer will be better than a 3GS or older simply because it has a higher resolution, even though the screen size itself is exactly the same. Even so, at this point my phone size sweet spot is between 4.0 and 4.3". Anything less is too small. Anything larger is too big (the wife has a 4.5" Samsung Infuse, and those extra .2" over my phone make it just ridiculous).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Personally I have a new Galaxy nexus with a 4.65" screen that is just perfect for me. I don't think I could go much bigger and still get it in my pocket. I have not tried to read on it yet mostly because I've just have not had the time to read since I've gotten it But one of the reasons I went with this phone is that I can use it as a small tablet and reader when needed. I've had a tablet and found that I really did not use it that much when my ThinkPad x61 is such a nice to carry around laptop. But there were a few things I did find use full to do on it but did not really want another device to haul around. So I started looking at the bigger phones and ended up with the Galaxy Nexus I think it is the right mix between functionality and size.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Before I got my Sony Reader (not a Christmas present btw ) I'd read a number of novels on my HTC desire (3.7" screen). As a web developer spending lots of time on code, I tended to read off-white text on a black background. Worked for me. I read about 10-20 books that way before deciding on a proper ereader.

Only thing I would say is, regardless of screen size on a smartphone, don't bother unless you like scrolling a lot, or are comfortable with tiny text sizes.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Remember that eReaders used to come in 5" sizes, then passed through the 6" size to the new 7" size which is also the size of a lot of regular tablets.
What 'new 7" size'? What eBook reader has a 7" screen? The only one I'm aware of is the now-discontinued Sony PRS-950.

There are certainly many tablets with 7" screens, but I don't know of any device that's sold primarily as a reader that has a 7" screen. Do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrock View Post
Before I got my Sony Reader (not a Christmas present btw ) I'd read a number of novels on my HTC desire (3.7" screen). As a web developer spending lots of time on code, I tended to read off-white text on a black background. Worked for me. I read about 10-20 books that way before deciding on a proper ereader.

Only thing I would say is, regardless of screen size on a smartphone, don't bother unless you like scrolling a lot, or are comfortable with tiny text sizes.
White-on-black or "night mode" is the only way to read on an LCD, IMHO, even during the day. Also, a good reader app with adjustable margins, line-spacing, hyphenation, etc makes things much better on a smaller screen. Stanza, Aldiko, Freda are good. iBooks (has hyphenation but also ridiculous and non-adjustable margins), Kindle (no hyphenation or margin control, grey-on-black night mode doesn't have enough contrast for me), etc are not.

Also, higher resolution screens work better with smaller fonts, as the extra pixels make them more readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What 'new 7" size'? What eBook reader has a 7" screen? The only one I'm aware of is the now-discontinued Sony PRS-950.

There are certainly many tablets with 7" screens, but I don't know of any device that's sold primarily as a reader that has a 7" screen. Do you?
The Nook Color was/is sold primarily as a reader, though it obviously had tablet aspirations (proven by its successor, the Nook Tablet). And Amazon's selling the Fire under the Kindle name, implying it's primarily a reader. The Kobo Vox is also sold primarily as a reader.

Ereader != eink.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
one of the worst written article I have ever read, and all the ads slows down the website what a contemptuous reason for an article.

And OP, please only link quality article next time, I personally don't want to read something that's written in 10 minutes by a high school drop out who did no research and full of opinions.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 12-25-2011 at 08:13 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I used to read exclusively on my old iPhone 3GS, with its 3.5" 320x480 screen. It was passable. I now read on my HTC HD7S, with a 4.3" 480x800 screen and it's much better.

Honestly, though, screen size is less important than resolution. An iPhone 4 or newer will be better than a 3GS or older simply because it has a higher resolution, even though the screen size itself is exactly the same. Even so, at this point my phone size sweet spot is between 4.0 and 4.3". Anything less is too small. Anything larger is too big (the wife has a 4.5" Samsung Infuse, and those extra .2" over my phone make it just ridiculous).
Well I had been living with a Samsung Incercept 3.2" smartphone and would not even bother to try reading a book with it. Little browsing was even frustrating due to the rather mediocre resolution. It sufficed as a reliable phone with texting, my main priorities obviously and the cost and no contract were a huge plus.

I've stepped up to a 4g 3.7" smartphone since with much better resoulution. I haven't tried reading a book yet since I only got it a week ago but I'll give it a whirl soon as I'm very curious.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

So you think to set a clever trap with your sly ways, do you?

First I will quote:
"The Kindle Fire is a 7-inch tablet that links seamlessly with Amazon's impressive collection of digital music, video, magazine, and book services in one easy-to-use package. It boasts a great Web browser, and its curated Android app store includes most of the big must-have apps (such as Netflix, Pandora, and Hulu). The Fire has an ultra-affordable price tag, and the screen
quality is exceptional for the price." - CNET

Then I will say the Fire is more a reader or viewer than a tablet. To be a tablet it would need more "on board" storage, more flexibility, more openness. I would call it a "crippled tablet" perhaps, or even a "super" reader.

So, in my studied opinion, the Fire is indeed an eReader.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
For phones... I think that 4" would be about the best for me. Cause it'd be a decent sized phone and (resolution allowing) could show enough of a page for me to enjoy reading on. But, probably not for any extended reading sessions.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
The Galaxy SII with its' 4.52 inch screen is perfectly fine for reading books when you don't have your ereader with you. FTW for big screen phones.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
So, in my studied opinion, the Fire is indeed an eReader.
Maybe so in practice, but that's not how Amazon is selling it:

Quote:
Movies, apps, games, music, reading and more, plus Amazon's revolutionary, cloud-accelerated web browser
19 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books
Thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more
Ultra-fast web browsing - Amazon Silk
Free cloud storage for all your Amazon content
Vibrant color touchscreen with extra-wide viewing angle - same as an iPad
Fast, powerful dual-core processor
Favorite children's books, graphic novels, and magazines in rich color
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
IMO, LCD tablets are not Ereaders.

My car might have the ability to play music from the dashboard, but I wouldn't call the car a Stereo System. It's still a car, that also happens to have the ability to play music via a module.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 12-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm looking forward to the 5" Galaxy Note -- when it gets to the U.S. -- as an easy-to-carry phone/mini-tablet/ereader. It might replace my 6" reader/7" tablet Pocket eDGe (which I wish had cellphone calling abilities), but it won't replace my 9.7" reader for when I have the luxury of sitting and enjoying my books!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote