Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Device: none
NIV Bible (ePub)

Does anyone know where I can download a free copy of the NIV (New International Version) Bible preferably in ePub format.

Have searched and it would appear there are lots of sites offering it but none of the pages I have opened actually offer the NIV Bible.

Thanks.
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
To my knowledge, it is not available anywhere for free (except perhaps on the darknet). It is still under copyright and owned by Zondervan Publishing who is owned in turn by Harper Collins.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haino View Post
Does anyone know where I can download a free copy of the NIV (New International Version) Bible preferably in ePub format.
The NIV is still very much protected by copyright, so you won't find it legally available "for free".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Copyrighted and free is not necessarily conflicting. Although the NIV is under copyright it has been offered recently for free by youversion.com in their iPhone/iPod app. However this action is over, the downloads were personal and cannot be passed on because of the copyright. They were not in ePub but could have been converted without too much effort.

Another example is the HCSB version which is also under copyright but is offered fro free in its basic version.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know if you're interested, but the ESV is free for most platforms.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...itm=1&USRI=esv
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
The HCSB Bible also seems intersting and is free from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-HCS.../dp/B0045U9UES

Product Description
This text edition of the HCSB has been optimized for easy reading on digital devices. Free from the visual clutter of footnotes, cross reference, and other links, this edition is fast to navigate and easy to use.

The HCSB was developed by 100 scholars and English stylists from 17 denominations, who prayerfully translated what is one of the most significant Bible translations available today. The HCSB reflects linguistic advances in vocabulary, grammar, punctuation and formatting while it retains meaningful theological terms. In the HCSB you'll find God's personal name (Yahweh), the use of "Messiah" in the New Testament, and the use of "slave" in the New Testament, just to name a few examples. Also, you'll notice the contemporary speech patterns in the HCSB mean that words like "behold" and "shall" are not used. Instead, words or phrases that are common today can be found in their place.

The HCSB employs a first-of-its kind translation philosophy known as Optimal Equivalence, which seeks to achieve an optimal balance of literary precision and emotive clarity through a comprehensive analysis of the text at every level. This process assures maximum transfer of both words and thoughts contained in the original.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
haino
Connoisseur

Thanks for all your replies. It is actually for a friend who specifically wanted the NIV Bible.
Think I had seen the one offered by youversion.com a few weeks back but when I looked again it wasnt there.
Many thanks anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Also, you'll notice the contemporary speech patterns in the HCSB mean that words like "behold" and "shall" are not used. Instead, words or phrases that are common today can be found in their place.
I can sort of understand why the word "behold" might be considered "old-fashioned", but "shall"? What on Earth is wrong with "shall"?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by haino View Post
Think I had seen the one offered by youversion.com a few weeks back but when I looked again it wasnt there.
It was a limited time offer (until March 12, IIRC).
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
The HCSB Bible also seems intersting and is free from Amazon
I know the guy who led up the translation/editing committee on the HCSB (and I know a few of the ESV guys). All of them are solid folks.

I'm adding the following picture only for its humorous value--not as a comment on the quality of the HCSB (though maybe a comment on their marketing team). The last line is priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HCSB.jpg
Views:	2048
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	68769  
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Too many bible editions.. and still the same stuff in it.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
haino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can sort of understand why the word "behold" might be considered "old-fashioned", but "shall"? What on Earth is wrong with "shall"?
Yes Harry. I agree. I still use "shall". More in letters than in speech. However I still say "What shall we do today?"

Perhaps a sign of my age
Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It occurs to me that perhaps the original poster may have meant "shalt" rather than "shall". As in "Thou shalt not...".
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It occurs to me that perhaps the original poster may have meant "shalt" rather than "shall". As in "Thou shalt not...".
Quite archaic ... haven't seen it used since at least last week: http://newhavenindependent.org/index...on_stormwater/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Clearly intended to put people in mind of the KJV. It really doesn't change the fact that it is archaic language.