Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
'Lending' DRM eBooks?

Sony's FAQ at ebookstore(dot)sony(dot)com makes it sound rather simple:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
You can give an eBook to a friend if he has either a computer or a Reader Digital Book authorized to your account. If your friend has an authorized device, he/she will be able to download the same eBooks that you downloaded for yourself. However you can not share eBooks between 2 different accounts (email addresses).
Assuming that this statement can be interpreted literally, a device can only be authorized to one account at a time. Thus, in theory, I could 'lend' a friend a DRM'ed eBook by authorizing their Reader or PC to my account, and s/he would be forced to de-authorize his/her reader while reading 'my' book, but could re-authorize it to their own account when they finished reading. I have done a similar process with Audible(dot)com files. Can anybody who has bought from both Sony and Audible tell me if that's how it really works in practice?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have the mechanism absolutely right; in order for someone else with a Reader to read your book they'd need to unregister the Reader from their account, and register it to yours.

It's somewhat easier with Mobi DRM than with the Sony. With Mobi, your friend needs to tell you the ID of their device, and you can encode a book that you've bought for their device and then give them the book. You can do that for up to 4 devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks, HarryT!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An even easier way, though, is to buy your books in Microsoft Reader (LIT) format. DRM-protected LIT files can be trivially converted to both Sony Reader and MobiPocket DRM-free formats, and then you can lend them to whomever you wish. This may or may not be legal, depending where you live.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Hold on so sony allow this?

So for example as I have never authorised my reader to an account, someone of here with 50 books could just let me use their account and read all of their books and Sony are ok with that...
pretty cool of them.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I understand that mobipocket reader also allows more than 1 device? They don't use online accounts but if you connect your friends device on your computer where you have drm books, he can read them on his device also?
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i View Post
I understand that mobipocket reader also allows more than 1 device? They don't use online accounts but if you connect your friends device on your computer where you have drm books, he can read them on his device also?
No, that's not exactly the way it works. Every Mobipocket device has a unique identifier called a "PID" (it's a 10-character alphabetic string). In order to allow your friend to read a book that you've bought, you need to go to the website where you bought the book, enter your friend's device PID, and redownload the book, encoded for that PID. A book can be encoded for up to 4 different PIDs at most Mobi stores.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have the mechanism absolutely right; in order for someone else with a Reader to read your book they'd need to unregister the Reader from their account, and register it to yours.
I do not see where you can unregister the reader. I am the connect software and I can de-authorize a PC but not a reader.

So my friend has a book attached to his account I want to read. I would have to unregister my reader to from my account and attach it to his? At that time I can put the book on my reader. Then I unregister it to his account and put it back on mine.

What is strange at this point the book is on two readers. That does not sound right.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
I do not see where you can unregister the reader. I am the connect software and I can de-authorize a PC but not a reader.

So my friend has a book attached to his account I want to read. I would have to unregister my reader to from my account and attach it to his? At that time I can put the book on my reader. Then I unregister it to his account and put it back on mine.

What is strange at this point the book is on two readers. That does not sound right.
Sony Allows 6 devices to be registered to one account. They can be any combination of computers and readers. One has to be a computer and the other 5 can just be readers. When you register your reader on your friend's account, it will automatically unregister it for your account. Then you can put on any of your friend's ebook onto your reader to read. You won't be able to read any of your DRM ebooks while it is registered to the other account. But, when you register it back to your account, your ebooks will again work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks! Ok that makes sence. So Sony Connect must be changing something in the reader which is the key to each account.

Have you done it? Does it warn you that you are changing accounts?
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does warn you. But that's not a problem. When the person you've lent the eBook(s) to is done, he/she can reauthorize it under his//her account again to be able to read purchased eBooks once again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote