Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-22-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
converting to any format from epub always uses epub_original if present?

My process of making pdfs from epub files is to convert the epub to epub first, so that I can save a copy of the original epub in case I mess up.

But when I convert to pdf, calibre tries to use the epub_original file, which doesn't have any of the edits I've made.

I feel like I'm missing a easy step to select the right epub to convert from, but I can't figure it out. Input format only lets you select epub, not epub or epub_original.

My fix right now is to open the folder and temporarily move the epub_original file to desktop.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is a atweak in Preferences->Tweaks to control this
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for asking this question, arpeggioaccele! This behavior had bothered me as well, but I wasn't aware of the Tweaks section, so I just put up with it. Now to find out what other cool things live in Tweaks...
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there an option to not use original_format when it exists? For example, if I polish and then polish again, I lose the first polish as it's used the original_format instead of non-original version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:59 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If I get the result I want from the action that created the ORIGINAL_XXXX I Remove it, otherwise I Restore it.

If I want to retain the real original (i.e. what I downloaded with original file name, unwanted embedded metadata etc) I store it in the book's 'data' folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 12:59 AM   #6
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks! Looking back I also did EPUB -> HTMLZ -> PDF lol

Edit: Does anyone know which tweak changes the behavior?

Wait I think I found it:
Quote:
save_original_format = True

save_original_format_when_polishing = False

Last edited by arpeggioaccele; 10-24-2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 02:07 AM   #7
arpeggioaccele
light mode user

Actually I don't believe the tweak is what I was looking for. Now I'm trying to convert a pdf to be inverted colors, so I had to edit the epub to get rid of any defined colors. However, when converting calibre still is using original_epub with the tweak set as I posted above.

Still have to move the original_epub somewhere else.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:44 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Once you set save_original_format = False no more original_EPUB will be created, just delete the existing ones and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
arpeggioaccele
light mode user

I wanted to keep the original_EPUB as a backup. Thanks for the info though!
Old 11-04-2023, 04:07 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Once you set save_original_format = False no more original_EPUB will be created, just delete the existing ones and you will be fine.
Can you please build in a way to not use the original_EPUB and just leave it be unless I restore or delete it? If I was to polish and then want to polish again, I would be using the original_EPUB for the second polish (losing the changes in the first polish) when what I want is to keep the original ePub until I'm done making changes and can then delete the original_EPUB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeggioaccele View Post
I wanted to keep the original_EPUB as a backup. Thanks for the info though!
Copy it to the book's data folder and then remove it.

@Kovid - Suggestion: option to move a format file to the data folder, with timestamp prepended to file name.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-05 094809.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	204570  
Old 11-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
arpeggioaccele
light mode user

That's what I've been doing, in essence— I move the original_EPUB file somewhere else, then just do the conversion and Calibre has no choice but to use the EPUB file.

Then I can just move the original_EPUB back, without having to delete it or copy it.

So the data folder solution really doesn't simplify the process. I was just wondering if I could avoid moving stuff around and just ask Calibre to ignore the original_EPUB file.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If the epub->epub convert worked to your satisfaction why do you want to retain the ORIGINAL_EPUB in the book folder?

BR
Old 11-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #14
arpeggioaccele
light mode user

I retain the original_epub as an archive.

I have found sometimes that I decide that I had removed too much formatting, or I simply want to see how the epub looked originally. In that case, I still have the original file to use.

But regardless of my intentions, I only wanted to know if there was a setting so I could skip the process of moving the original_epub file manually.

The calibre convert menu allows you to choose which file you want to convert from and does not tell you it will use original_EPUB. It only specifies EPUB, so logically I thought it would use the EPUB that I had edited.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I suspect the logic there is if you are converting a book that was already converted, you have hooped the converted copy and want to start from the beginning.

Personally, since calibre copies the ebook into the library leaving the original copy in place, I keep the original copy as my fallback if the fan gets splattered.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epubtopdf, originalepub