Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
No updates for current iLiad MobiPocket Reader

I originally saw this mentioned on mobipocket's forums, but Karel (iRex Community Manager) in the iRex forum thread When will iRex's version of Mobipocket add features? said:
Quote:
There will be no new features introduced in the current Mobipocket viewer. The reason for this is because we are working on a viewer frame work. This viewer frame work will make it possible to easily add additional format support by both the community and iRex. In addition each feature developed for the viewer framework will be available to all supported formats.
This is bad news in the short term, since the iLiad MobiPocket reader is very feature poor, but iRex is probably right in the long term to ditch the entire thing and start again.

Is iRex really capable of generating a viewer framework from scratch? I think it would actually be easier, and technically superior, to start over using FBReader as the basis for all viewers. It already meets the "easy to add new formats" and "new features" applies to "all supported formats" criteria. Note that FBReader can now in principle support (licensed) MOBI DRM by distributing a binary only version with this included.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
Guess more people will be buying Cybook instead of the Iliad.
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I suspect the biggest challenge with their viewer framework app will be scribbles and how to handle it with text resizing. Since FBReader can't handle scribbles or PDF's, I don't know if that'd be the best choice.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
A framework supporting the unique features of the iLiad would be absolutely fantastic.

However, I'm a bit afraid that whipping this up will take a long time, perhaps longer than many potential buyers (or even owners) are willing to wait.

Not losing the Time to Market window is a bit of the essence here, I think...

Cheers,
- Don [:-], who can think of at least 100,000 Nice To Haves...
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
I think the framework is in fact the best solution. Though it'll take some time it is better than having several readers with basically the same purpose (mobipocket, iPDF, FB-Reader, minimo for html, ...) and every single one occupying in the sum more time than one big effort. I love mobi-pocket books for their dictionary support, but the menu bar and pages row sucks, if one knows how beautiful it can be with fullscreen-iPdf.
I'm spoiled from the Palm eReader and it's options.

So I hope the best.

cheers,
Nergal
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
lowmagnet
lowmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like the "feature" where it suddenly jumps ahead like 20 pages (due to reformatting) and I have to click backwards.
lowmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
I'm spoiled from the Palm eReader and it's options.
Yeah, me too.

And quite frankly, spoiled from its sheer speed when it comes to looking up something...

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
ampersandrew
ampersandrew began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that FBReader can now in principle support (licensed) MOBI DRM by distributing a binary only version with this included.
No, it can't. FBReader is GPL code, distributing a binary only copy of the FBReader is a violation of the GPL. It can't happen unless the FBReader authors change the licensing on their code. I do not believe this will be happening. In fact, I doubt it will ever happen.
ampersandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
I am biased, I have an iliad.

I am frankly disappointed with all the readers so far, and not just those available for the iliad. So starting from scratch is, in my books, a good way forward and I don't mind waiting.

I could make plenty of suggestions, one, if they are reading, is a CSS dropaway framework, a full implementation of CSS, forget the actual element tags, don't worry about what is a paragraph or not, or what is a title, but as the user increases the font size drop-off CSS layout features in a step by step and predictable way.

The principle is that the greater the relative display area (area of size in proportion to font size), the closer the ebook to the publisher's design (including pagation). Reduce the effective viewing area (ie increase the font relative to the actual screen), drop pagation, drop margins, drop heading decoration, drop "drop Caps", drop justifictation, change font, reduce spaces etc.

A collapsing bag in other words.

The point being, is that it is a mistake to rely on expecting particular elements in designing reading software.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersandrew View Post
No, it can't. FBReader is GPL code, distributing a binary only copy of the FBReader is a violation of the GPL. It can't happen unless the FBReader authors change the licensing on their code.
As you say, it can only be done by the authors of the code. FBReader's authors are prepared to do this, but it does make accepting outside contributions to the standard version more difficult. See FBReader's GPL and Contribution Guidelenes.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I suspect the biggest challenge with their viewer framework app will be scribbles and how to handle it with text resizing. Since FBReader can't handle scribbles or PDF's, I don't know if that'd be the best choice.
FBReader would need several enhancements including: a) dictionary, b) bookmarks/scribbles, c) style sheets. Note that FBReader already has dictionary support on a few platforms. The "framework" argument works for FBReader too, add dictionary support or scribbles and these are available for 12 ebook formats and counting. There is also the advantage that you don't have to develop on the iLiad.

The FBReader developers were originally opposed to adding PDF support, but they listened to their users and now their Electronic Book Formats page says:
Quote:
pdf This format is not supported. Files in this format may contain just text as well as image representation of pages. We plan to include PDF support in FBReader: first support for files that are using text only.
DonRobodroid's time to market point is also in favor of FBReader, particularly if it was originally released without PDF support.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRobodroid View Post
However, I'm a bit afraid that whipping this up will take a long time, perhaps longer than many potential buyers (or even owners) are willing to wait.

Not losing the Time to Market window is a bit of the essence here, I think...
Although it was just reported on Mobileread recently, iRex has been talking about a common framework for the various viewers for a pretty long time. It's not like they're just starting to work on it now.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I started the original discussion of this on the iRex iLiad forum. But it should be noted that this reply from Mobipocket tech support somewhat contradicts what was said on the iRex forum. See this post on the Mobi forum:

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11136

in which Mobi_Vincent said on June 2, 2008:
Quote:
We are working with iRex for the new Mobipocket viewer for the Iliad. Be sure this second version will be better !
At the very least, this implies a role by Mobipocket programmers in helping create the new iRex viewer framework.

----------------
ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer
Hugo Award winner for HOMINIDS
http://www.sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
----------------
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It probably just means that Mobipocket is helping iRex integrate the mobipocket library into their new framework. They pretty much have to be involved, the mobipocket format isn't an open standard. The only way to parse/render a mobipocket file is with the library that mobipocket writes. They're not going to just turn over the full specs and let iRex create their own reader completely from scratch.

I don't think that contradicts anything iRex has said.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a shame to hear that the Mobi reader won't be updated on the iLiad. It has one "show-stopping" lack for me - no bookmarks. I absolutely require bookmarks for proof-reading the books I create, and their lack was the main reason I sold my iLiad and bought the CyBook. The iLiad is the only implementation of the Mobi Reader (AFAIK) which doesn't implement bookmarks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote