Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
obihal
obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: pc
Epub reader for Windows 95

is there any epub reader which works with a old windows. (i know changing to zip and open with a browser)

i tried some but couldt find that works

Thanks
obihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
why not?

try http://fbreader.org/win32
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
If nothing else you could convert to .lit and use Micrsoft Reader.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or revitalize your computer with Linux, then run calibre with its bundled ebook-viewer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by obihal View Post
is there any epub reader which works with a old windows. (i know changing to zip and open with a browser)

i tried some but couldt find that works

Thanks
What did you try and what was the result. I do expect fbreader might work. It doesn't require many resources.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might try the older versions of sumatra pdf.

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/...load-prev.html
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
obihal
obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.obihal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or revitalize your computer with Linux, then run calibre with its bundled ebook-viewer.
its prob. beyond me and using the comp. for other things sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
If nothing else you could convert to .lit and use Micrsoft Reader.
its the most reasonable way but coultnt get used to Micrsoft Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You might try the older versions of sumatra pdf.

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/...load-prev.html
i will try it tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
obihal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What did you try and what was the result. I do expect fbreader might work. It doesn't require many resources.

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
fbreader reader installs but gives a "FBReader Kernel32.dll GetUserDefaultUI Language" error while opening. i will look some ways to eliminate it. W95 comp dont have internet so it will be a long task

Other then Fb i tried CoolReader-SigilPortable-mobireadersetup-epubreaderforwindows maybe some 1-2 other i forget
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You could use the Firefox add-on ePub Reader...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/epubreader/
http://www.epubread.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
obihal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
i am using it with my new comp. But firefox stops working with w95 at a earlier version. w95 comp dont have internet so i cant try to add it. Probably it wont work with a early version firefox.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obihal View Post
Quote:
its prob. beyond me and using the comp. for other things sometimes.
If that is the only problem, never fear.

It is VERY simple to install. See this guide: Ubuntu Linux Graphical Install Guide.

And this guide to understanding how linux works: Beginner's guide to Linux: where to start.

It will even allow you to have both linux and Windows on your computer -- when you turn it on, you will be asked to choose one.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
If he has Win 95 I doubt Ubuntu will run.
There probably isn't enough free space on the HDD either.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
obihal

Quote:
If that is the only problem, never fear.

It is VERY simple to install. See this guide: Ubuntu Linux Graphical Install Guide.

And this guide to understanding how linux works: Beginner's guide to Linux: where to start.

It will even allow you to have both linux and Windows on your computer -- when you turn it on, you will be asked to choose one.
As long as windows works and i can open the epub with changing it html i dont think i will be brave enought to try it And as Glorfindel said i have to delete a lot of things to make it even work.

But thank you i will download Ubuntu wait the day windows crushes.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
If he has Win 95 I doubt Ubuntu will run.
There probably isn't enough free space on the HDD either.
There is always Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu) with the Alternate (low-RAM) install, suitable for systems going all the way down to 128 MB of RAM.

Otherwise, there is always nuking the current system (once it dies altogether?) by using a linux version not as smart as Ubuntu's.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
One choice would be http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazyread/ lazyread which a command line reader that can read html. You would need to unpack the epub to use it. You could easily make a script to unzip the file, read all of the html files. There are also command line browsers that you could use to read html. Read about Command line eBook Reader in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote