Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Question Skinning Netronix Firmware (using a theme, I mean - not stripping it :-)

I'm sure many know about codeMonkeys kewl-er mod for the Cool-Er, which allows to change many of the default graphics.

Perhaps some of you even know my article on how to change the menu layout/skins of the Netronix EB600, as used by Cool-Er.

And of course there is the final result of that, the KIDesign as linked in my sig.

However, all these were only tested with the Cool-Er firmware. Yet it *should* work with any Netronix based firmware - I doubt that many companies changed the skin system.
Based upon what I know now, I would say the Elonex variant of the Netronix Firmware is fairly identical. No doubt it contained the "mfg_test" backdoor, as does the Cool-er, and I assume is standard for Netronix (EB600).
(Note: the Cool-Er contains another backdoor, a more simple script call, kewl-er currently uses only that, my design uses both.)

If I had any other devices, I'd try it (I'm crazy like that), but I only have the Elonex EB600.

So, does anyone know how much difference regarding skin structure would be, between those many Netronix EB600 variations?
Or is willing to try?
(I accept no responsibility of course. I did work carefully and tried not to make any mistakes. But I might have and merely not discovered it yet. Or it only works with Cool-er but none else. I don't know. Hence the thread.
If you are willing to try, make a backup first. And perhaps check if you can reinstall the firmware without much trouble.
Also note that my KIDesign doesn't offer a restore function - so the default design would be overwritten, unless you write a script to restore the backups.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote