Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
vs other readers

So I have had my 300 for a while now. I really do like this little ereader. I know some say the screen is to small but what I give up in screen size the the ease of carrying it around!...

The quality and finish are spot on and so what if I have to turn "more" pages than on larger readers. I have had others in the past and so far this one is my favorite!..

If you are thinking about getting one and are concerned about the size don't be...It still reads as well as the others!

One of my friends has a Nook the other a Kindle....and I have used both for several days and they have used mine equally. We all like each others readers but we all love "our" personal readers..

So my point is you will love the one you have...just get one!

Last edited by icemncmth; 01-29-2010 at 03:01 PM.
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Well said, and I agree

The 300 is a great reader. Not a lot of cash, and not a lot of flash. For the person that wants a device to read books, and that function only, you can't go wrong with the 300. Good screen, very portable, good quality and easy to use.

I have had mine well over a month, and my wife has had hers almost 2 weeks. Zero problems, and lotsa fun...... A lady she works with has now got one as well
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
I have a PRS-300 and a nook. They both have pluses, but for the money the Sony is a really solid reader with a great screen and awesome battery life. The screen on the nook is also great, and it has more flash, but the battery life is horrible compared to the Sony. My wife ordered me the nook for Christmas, and when the delays started, she got me the Sony PRS-300 for $179 at Best Buy so I had a gift for Christmas Morning. Now I have two eReaders. I use the Sony at work because it feels way more durable than the nook, so the nook stays home and gets pampered. My wife wanted an ereader as well, and given the choice between the nook and the Sony, she chose the Sony! So, now we have two Sony's and a nook eReader. Knowing what I know now, and given the opportunity to do it all over again, I'd go with the Sony over the nook...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
I have a PRS-300 and a nook. They both have pluses, but for the money the Sony is a really solid reader with a great screen and awesome battery life. The screen on the nook is also great, and it has more flash, but the battery life is horrible compared to the Sony. My wife ordered me the nook for Christmas, and when the delays started, she got me the Sony PRS-300 for $179 at Best Buy so I had a gift for Christmas Morning. Now I have two eReaders. I use the Sony at work because it feels way more durable than the nook, so the nook stays home and gets pampered. My wife wanted an ereader as well, and given the choice between the nook and the Sony, she chose the Sony! So, now we have two Sony's and a nook eReader. Knowing what I know now, and given the opportunity to do it all over again, I'd go with the Sony over the nook...

I know it is a small issue but the metal cover on the 300 fells better than the plastic cover of others. One thing I noticed about the Kindle was how dirty it looked. My friend who owns it uses it all the time. She doesn't work and loves the wireless but the thing looked dirty. I cleaned it up some but I prefer the metal of the Sony. That was one comment from my friends..that both made. We wish ours had a more solid feel!..

I'm not bashing the others because I wouldn't mind having a Kindle but the size of the 300 makes me carry it more and use it more.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Sometimes I wish I had saved and picked up a Nook or Kindle, I'm glad I bought the 300 now. I think the positives out weigh the negatives.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
icemncmth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
Sometimes I wish I had saved and picked up a Nook or Kindle, I'm glad I bought the 300 now. I think the positives out weigh the negatives.

I like the nook but for me the "wireless" function really isn't that important. I read a lot and always have a bunch of books loaded on my reader so buying a book on the spot just isn't that important. Now the person with the Nook and the person with the kindle aren't really that tech savvy so for them the ease of downloading is important.

Add in the fact that I love to read older books..well the Sony just "fits" me.

But the one thing that I really love about the Sony is that I can hold it with one had and turn pages with that same hand. I don't have to have both hands on the device to read and or change pages. It really isn't a huge deal but it is nice.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Now the person with the Nook and the person with the kindle aren't really that tech savvy so for them the ease of downloading is important.
I think you said a mouthful on that one. It is not the rule, but more the norm. IMHO.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote