Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
More disappointment with Waterstones

Waterstones very kindly sent me £5 off (£25 or more of books) for my birthday. Also, they have a 10% off online promotion for the weekend.

Only snag is - you've guessed it - eBooks are excluded

Basket emptied - grrr.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have also received a mail about the additional 10% discount but the small print does advise that it does not apply to e-books. Whilst this is disappointing and frustrating, they do have 20% off a lot of the e-book prices at present.

I have received another mail stating i will get 15 Cardholder points per pound spent, for a limited period.

Waterstones are improving on price in my opinion however, as i have commented on previous threads, there is little direct competition in the UK market place. I eagerly await Kindle in the UK as i am sure this will force them to be more competitive.

I have a second laptop upon which i have access to the Sony Connect Store in the USA and, thanks to the kindness of Leaping Gnome, i buy the Sony Giftcards and get books from there.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Because of the pricing at Waterstones and their poor excuses for prices, I will now only buy from them as a last resort. There are a few books I have bought from them as they are unavailable anywhere else (except WHSmith which is even more expensive once you take the added VAT into account).

Until they fairly address the E-book prices they will not have much repeat business from me!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
salty_seadog
salty_seadog began at the beginning.

I have bought three books from the Waterstones e-book store which cost £26 in total, this is the same price (if found from goign into the store) which it would have cost for me to buy the actual books! I'm not complaining too much because one Sony Reader is lighter than three paperbacks (not to mention the other 102 on there already) but they really could do something with the price as it costs nothing to print the books, nothing to transport them, no distribution between stores and no warehouse costs, ye gods they don't even have to put them in carrier bags! - I am getting points on the card though, IMO one of the most rewarding rewards cards available.

I've also found thet their stock of hardware accessories is not very good either, was forced to but my AC adapter from the Sony Centre, which was more expensive but after a little persuasion they matched Waterstone's price, kudos Sony!
salty_seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
Why don't you shop at Fictionwise? They have a large range of books and are cheaper. You know it makes sense!
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0072 View Post
Why don't you shop at Fictionwise? They have a large range of books and are cheaper. You know it makes sense!
Did you ever compare what's on offer at the two shops? Suppose you want to buy Penguin ePub books, you don't have much of a choice.

-maarten
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

In general, I Wouldn't mind paying the SAME price for a PB or Ebook, it when the Ebook is MORE that I have problems/issues.

Obviously I would prefer to pay less for the Ebook for all the reasons previously mentioned, but I feel it will be a while before that happens.

I am about to buy a book released today (Tom Holt - May Contain Traces of Magic, assuming the Ebook version is available. It isn't currently but the HB is still listed as pre-order so hopefully wil be put up later) which I will only be able to get from Waterstones as the book will not be vailable elsewhere outside of the UK. It is instances like this that I have no choice but to use Waterstones!

If the Ebook is more expensive (due to the 30% discount on the phusical and likely 20% is the digital) I will attempt to phone somebody (I am sick of E-mails and letters to HQ). If the Ebook IS cheaper then I will suck up the still overpriced value and buy the book!

EDIT: Just been back online to see if the book was available and realised that I had misread the release date. It is next month, not this month.... Still, gives me time to read some other books!

Last edited by PieOPah; 04-07-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I'm with you...Waterstones and WH Smith are expensive (and Waterstones is very frustrating to search). There have been rumors about Borders starting an ebook store here in the UK, but I haven't heard anything recently...will go away and find out.

I sometimes use an ebook price comparison website called 'ebook price'. She has been adding more ebook stores to the list and it is worth checking if you can't get a book from your usual sources. http://www.ebookprice.info/
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
salty_seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I sometimes use an ebook price comparison website called 'ebook price'. She has been adding more ebook stores to the list and it is worth checking if you can't get a book from your usual sources. http://www.ebookprice.info/
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out later, page is blocked at work
Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Get a virtual credit card and join the US Sony Store.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0072 View Post
I have checked Sony, Waterstones, & Fictionwise, I find that it all depends on the ebook you are after, most of the ones I will buy, are cheaper at Waterstones.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Get a virtual credit card and join the US Sony Store.
From who?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
salty_seadog

In addition to my previous statement about the three books from Waterstones, I have just been back onto the site and saw that the three eBooks I bought would have actually been CHEAPER if I'd bought them in paperback! How can Waterstones justify selling a paper book for less than the eBook equivalent. I think I'm goignt o be writing a strongly worded e-mail to them!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_seadog View Post
I think I'm goignt o be writing a strongly worded e-mail to them!
I strongly urge you to write the E-mail however, you will likey be disappointed with their response.

I have had a variety of reasons, the primary being that the publisher sets the price (which is crap since I have been to the publisher who sells the ebooks to Waterstones for the same price as the physical version!)

Outside of this there is little they say which is positive!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
PieOPah
Addict

Just been checking out WHSmith again, and while still not the cheapest place on earth, their prices do appear to be better than Waterstones (even after you have added the missing 15% VAT to smiths!). An even bigger bonus is that WHSmiths now have a wider variety of Formats available which makes them even more appealing.

Since all my E-mails to Waterstones have failed to rouse in them any care to the customer, I am going to hit them where it hurts - the wallet! Maybe if enough people stop using their services, they will be forced to listen.

Edit: And at least WHSmith appear to be charing less for E-books than PB.... from what I have seen!

Last edited by PieOPah; 04-07-2009 at 08:41 AM.