Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
vibranze
vibranze began at the beginning.

Device: Elfin
Good eBook Reader

Guys,

Recently I'm struggling between Mobireader and Isilo just to read the same format of ebook. The problem is if I viewed from Mobireader I can only see junk but in Isilo I can see the content. Why they are different since the extension is the same pdb/prc?

Cheers,
Vibranze
vibranze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mobipocket Reader only reads Mobipocket ebooks. If you saw garbage, then that file is most likely not Mobipocket.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All PalmOS files are either .pdb or .prc, so the extension tells you nothing about the contents. See PDB in the wiki.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A PDB or PRC file is just a "container file" - rather like a ZIP file. It can contain any type of data at all. MobiPocket books and iSilo books are not the same data format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
vibranze
vibranze began at the beginning.

Device: Elfin
Thanks guy for the answer. So what is the so called 'almost' perfect reader that can read 'almost' all the ebook format?

I found repligo is a very good reader, better than PDF instead but too bad the converter is not free

Cheers,
Vibranze
vibranze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibranze View Post
Thanks guy for the answer. So what is the so called 'almost' perfect reader that can read 'almost' all the ebook format?

I found repligo is a very good reader, better than PDF instead but too bad the converter is not free
On Palm OS, there is no one perfect reader. This is not a limitation of Palm OS: it's inherent in the fact that there isn't one standard ebook format everyone supports.

As mentioned, PDB and PRC are containers. What they contain will be arbitrary. The only things that can be on RAM in a Palm device are files in Palm Database format. The first record in any Palm Database is a header that contains information about the database. In particular, it contains a Creator ID that specifies what uses the data. Data files on a Palm device will have the same Creator ID as the application that uses them, which is how Palm OS keeps track of what data is displayed by what program. A Palm application will only "see" the data it knows how to handle.

I use a Tapwave Zodiac 2 as an ebook reader. The Zodiac is a Palm OS 5 device with a 320x480 color screen, 128MB of RAM, and two SD card slots. I currently maintain five viewer programs to cover all the bases.

Most of my ebook library (about 3,200 volumes) is HTML converted for the Plucker offline HTML viewer for Palm OS. I also have several hundred volumes in Mobipocket format read with Mobipocket Reader, some PDF files displayed with PalmPDF, some files in PML format viewed with eReader, and some stuff in PalmDOC, zTXT, plain text, RTF, and Word format which I read with Palm Fiction. It's an annoyance to have to recall which content is in which format read by what viewer, but since there isn't a single viewer that handles all of those formats, and all of the content I want isn't available in the same format, I'm stuck with it. At least I largely can read everything.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote