Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #316
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Ordered. Damn. I'm so impulsive. :-)

Thanks again for the tip.
Enjoy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #317
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
One Kobo Glo ordered from TSC! Thanks for the info!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #318
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Very very good deal indeed.
Dunno if it's the leather sleepcover or the plastic one.
Either case it's a bargain.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #319
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm getting one this afternoon. Exciting
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #320
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Since it says that the savings is about $46. and the cost of the actual reader is the same as at Kobo I was thinking that it had to be the $39. cover? I think they would have mentioned it though if it was leather so not holding out hope.

I am hoping to change my opinion of Kobo after getting this gadget since I want to shop in Canada but Kobo disappointed in the past.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #321
Quilathus
Quilathus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The Kobo Glo does seem awfully attractive, however, I feel spoilt with my PRS-650 with PRS+. I was wondering about the following, I've tried searching for hours looking for answers but either I can't form the right search terms or I haven't looked hard enough.

So, I was wondering if...
  1. Does the Kobo Glo support some sort of userStyle.css that I can edit? I have a hundred or so eBooks that I manually edited their CSS's to match my PRS+'s userStyle.css and it'll be a hassle to edit them again. Changes like default margins and hard-coding fonts.
  2. I love screen real estate and my PRS-650's status bar is very small, only 20 or so pixels high. Looking at various reviews, I've noticed that the book title and bottom black status bars seem very thick and take up a lot of unnecessary space. I was wondering if you can turn them off or at least make them smaller?
If there could be definitive answers to these questions that'll be much appreciated!
Quilathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #322
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilathus View Post
[LIST=1][*]Does the Kobo Glo support some sort of userStyle.css that I can edit? I have a hundred or so eBooks that I manually edited their CSS's to match my PRS+'s userStyle.css and it'll be a hassle to edit them again. Changes like default margins and hard-coding fonts.
No, but there is a font customisation dialog. That can select the font, size, margins and line spacing. It doesn't override the ones specified in the book
Quote:
[*]I love screen real estate and my PRS-650's status bar is very small, only 20 or so pixels high. Looking at various reviews, I've noticed that the book title and bottom black status bars seem very thick and take up a lot of unnecessary space. I was wondering if you can turn them off or at least make them smaller?
When reading a book, the bottom bar is always there. It can show the current page. It an also be turned black or white. The advantage of the black seems to be that the lighting along the bottom is a little uneven. Using the black bar there hides this a bit. The Kindle Paperwhite has the same problem.

The top bar depends on the book type. A sideloaded epub does not have the top bar at all. A Kobo epub (or kepub) does have the top bar all the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #323
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok Glo's are available in stores here as of today and I bought mine

I've figured out pretty much everything, wifi, light, on-screen functions etc ...

But one thing I can't figure yet. I installed the PC software to manage my library from my PC as I did with my Sony reader back then.
First thing I notice is how books to buy spring at you and you can't miss them but, I can't find NOWHERE on my PC software a button to LOAD the books I already have on my computer on to my Kobo ...
So how do I do that ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #324
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I load books using Calibre. I hope it is as easy with the Glo
Old 10-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #325
wrenn1
Addict

When I had my first Kobo (when they first came out) Chapters were really good at switching for you if you had a faulty device. I wonder if they are as accommodating now that Kobo is not really associated with them any more?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #326
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I don't use Calibre. But there is nowhere on the PC software an "add files" or something, so how do I add books I already have ?
or do I just drag and drop them on the root directory of the Glo when connected to my PC ?

Quote:
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #327
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
But I don't use Calibre. But there is nowhere on the PC software an "add files" or something, so how do I add books I already have ?
or do I just drag and drop them on the root directory of the Glo when connected to my PC ?
Drag-and-drop will certainly work. Though I will add that you get extra bells & whistles if you transfer using Calibre
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #328
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
But one thing I can't figure yet. I installed the PC software to manage my library from my PC as I did with my Sony reader back then.
First thing I notice is how books to buy spring at you and you can't miss them but, I can't find NOWHERE on my PC software a button to LOAD the books I already have on my computer on to my Kobo ...
So how do I do that ?
The Kobo desktop software isn't really for managing your library. It certainly doesn't manage books that you did not buy from Kobo. The Desktop software is useful for syncing your Glo or buying books from kobo. But you can also sync your Glo via wifi, and you can buy kobo books from the kobobooks.com site. So there aren't many people that actually use the desktop software.

Calibre works really well to manage your library though.

Quote:
Yes, very easy.

There's a guide here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 that will help you setup calibre to manage your book shelves as well, and some other fun useful things (like titles of books showing their series and series #).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #329
wrenn1
Addict

Thanks Mrs. Often. I will give that a try.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #330
Quexos
Member Retired

Ok the drag and drop in the root directory did the trick. Just have to wonder what the PC software is for since it does not manage the books you already have on your computer. So I guess it's just to manage books you buy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Drag-and-drop will certainly work. Though I will add that you get extra bells & whistles if you transfer using Calibre
Ok bear with me here, why would I want to synch my Glo ? I mean I drag and drop books from my computer when connected to it with the USB cable. Synchronizing with what and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The Desktop software is useful for syncing your Glo or buying books from kobo.
Anyways, all in all I am (so far) VERY happy with my new Kobo Glo, no freezes, no crazy pixels or whatever issues some talked about. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited by Quexos; 10-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.