Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Small-Caps displays in headings but nowhere else...

I can't figure this one out for the life of me. i have a heading style (.heading1) that includes the small-caps font-variant. And it displays just fine when applied to headings (<h1 class="heading1">.

But when i try to to make paragraph style with small caps (.smcaps {font-variant: small-caps}), it won't display in body text. I've tried inserting it as a p class, a span class, and a blockquote class. Zilch! The text continues to display as normal upper & lowercase. What gives?
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Do you mean in the Sigil viewer? That is normal, there are some bugs in the QT web view. Unfortunately that is outside the influence field of user_none but should be solved by Nokia.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Some readers also can't do proper small-caps.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant in Sigil's BV. Smallcaps show up in headings, but not in body text. Is this normal?

If so, could someone confirm that in theory --using the css .smcaps {font-variant: small-caps}-- all three of the follow examples should yield smallcaps (provided the reader supports them)?

Code:
1)   <p class="smcaps">Please Be In Smallcaps</p>

2)   <p>I said, "<span class="smcaps">Please Be In Smallcaps</span>."</p>

3)   <blockquote class="smcaps">
          <p>Please Be In Small Caps</p>
      </blockquote>

Last edited by ElMiko; 02-08-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the reader supports it, those examples should work. The only one I haven't used myself is the blockquote one.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If the reader supports it, those examples should work. The only one I haven't used myself is the blockquote one.
Same here.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
ElMiko
Addict

Thanks guys. Does anyone know enough about css/html to say if it will work as a blockquote class?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

It should. I see no reason why it shouldn't. If you want to test, create a simple html with your example and open it in your browser.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
ElMiko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If you want to test, create a simple html with your example and open it in your browser.
Durrrrr. So obvious, it hurts!

Just for the record, it did work when displayed in the browser.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The only reason it shouldn't work is if the reader is buggy.

What could happen is that there is an additional style applied to headings, blockquote, or whatever that's incompatible with smallcaps, maybe they use a different font without smallcaps, or there is no available italic-smallcaps variant...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
ElMiko
Addict

Just for the record, I appear to have made a small (and strange) discovery about the nature of small-caps in Sigil. It only displays in Sigil when it is paired with a bold font-weight (within the same class). That's why my headings all display correctly, while body text displays sans small-caps. Is this kind of contingent behavior correctable?

Last edited by ElMiko; 02-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Perkin
Guru

I think its a problem with QT which is used by Sigil (and calibre).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
I have found that if I change the font-size to say .9em or 1.1em then Sigil will display the small-caps fine in BV. Set the font-size to 1em and it won't display properly. I think there are a few other sizes I have hit now and then that it won't display as well.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Like I said in the beginning, it is a bug in QT and quite annoying. I hope they solve it soon.