Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
html or doc better?

Hi again,

My second question for this forum: I own a Ebookwise 1150, in your collective experience which format translates better with the librarian software, html or word doc?
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
If you don't care about getting things just so, then either format would work. If you want to format things a particular way and also take advantage of a few 1150 specific features (headers and footers for example), then use HTML. The HTML would not require any conversion, unless you used tags not supported by the 1150. The Word document will always get converted.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
If you don't care about getting things just so, then either format would work. If you want to format things a particular way and also take advantage of a few 1150 specific features (headers and footers for example), then use HTML. The HTML would not require any conversion, unless you used tags not supported by the 1150. The Word document will always get converted.
If it there are bad code there will be error messages in the eBook publisher application to tell you about them. There is full control over html while word get translated to html anyway. Word (doc or rtf) may be a good choice if you need to convert items with curly quotes and other similar items in them without having to code them directly. Header, footers, and TOC fall into that kind of classification. The results will be an html files with a different extension but you can then direct edit the html to fix anything you like.

The main trick to toc, by the way, it to make sure there is a <a name="toc" /> just ahead of the data to make it work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What about using Word to clean up the files and then Book Designer to format and output the books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
the main trick

Dale,

I hope to purchase a Cybook Gen3 from NAEB when they accept orders next week. I've never owned an e-reader. I want to convert my handwritten HTML genealogy files http://home.att.net/~jg245/ and create an e-book. Cybook Gen3 would be very convenient to store my notes when I search archives. I like what I have learned about BookDesigner 5, but I became leary of using it when I saw the Russian language at www.bookdesigner.org/. (That scared me off!) I plan to use MOBIPOCKET book CREATOR to group the files into one ebook. I want to set up the tag name/attributes correctly before using the MOBIPOCKET Table of Contents Wizard to set each descendent family tree file as a separate chapter.

In each family file the creation dates are currently at the bottom, not in the heading. I am concerned that an <a anchor creates a hypertext link which will not work between "chapter" files in the Cybook. Will they work for a TOC?

RE "the main trick", is it necessary to add <a href="toc" and a date to the header of each file before using the MOBIPOCKET Wizard to create the TOC?

Thank you for your advice!

Susan
Learning as I go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If it there are bad code there will be error messages in the eBook publisher application to tell you about them. There is full control over html while word get translated to html anyway. Word (doc or rtf) may be a good choice if you need to convert items with curly quotes and other similar items in them without having to code them directly. Header, footers, and TOC fall into that kind of classification. The results will be an html files with a different extension but you can then direct edit the html to fix anything you like.

The main trick to toc, by the way, it to make sure there is a <a name="toc" /> just ahead of the data to make it work.

Dale
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
Dale,

I hope to purchase a Cybook Gen3 from NAEB when they accept orders next week. I've never owned an e-reader. I want to convert my handwritten HTML genealogy files http://home.att.net/~jg245/ and create an e-book. Cybook Gen3 would be very convenient to store my notes when I search archives. I like what I have learned about BookDesigner 5, but I became leary of using it when I saw the Russian language at www.bookdesigner.org/. (That scared me off!) I plan to use MOBIPOCKET book CREATOR to group the files into one ebook. I want to set up the tag name/attributes correctly before using the MOBIPOCKET Table of Contents Wizard to set each descendent family tree file as a separate chapter.

In each family file the creation dates are currently at the bottom, not in the heading. I am concerned that an <a anchor creates a hypertext link which will not work between "chapter" files in the Cybook. Will they work for a TOC?

RE "the main trick", is it necessary to add <a href="toc" and a date to the header of each file before using the MOBIPOCKET Wizard to create the TOC?

Susan
Learning as I go!
sorry, we have an apples and oranges discussion going on there. The information I supplied was for the eb-1150 format and you are asking about MobiPocket. It uses special tags for the TOC but not that particular one. I mobipocket creater you generate the TOC as a separate file independently and then merge it in.

YOu can certainly do what you want.

Dale
Old 11-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
Dale,

Susan
Learning as I go!

Don't be scared off by the Russian on the BookDesigner website. You can find plenty of links to the files, including the 7/30/2007 update, in the Sony section of this forum. BD has both English and Russian capability, switchable from within the program. Mostly, this means you get your Help in either Russian or English as the menus are all in English. I do *NOT* speak Russian or read it and I use BD every single day without a problem.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Thank you Dale and Derek.

Susan

Quote:
sorry, we have an apples and oranges discussion going on there. The information I supplied was for the eb-1150 format and you are asking about MobiPocket. It uses special tags for the TOC but not that particular one. I mobipocket creater you generate the TOC as a separate file independently and then merge it in.

YOu can certainly do what you want.

Dale
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast
woldinghamuk doesn't litterwoldinghamuk doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150 + sony reader 500
Hi everyone, I know it is not in the specs, but can the e1150 actually read .lit files or do I have to convert them, and into what? Thank you for help.
woldinghamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldinghamuk View Post
Hi everyone, I know it is not in the specs, but can the e1150 actually read .lit files or do I have to convert them, and into what? Thank you for help.
Lit have to be converted; best is with convert gui to do opf and then convert to imp from there.

Sometimes the opf master file is not properly done when the lit file is prepared, and then it's better to use amber lit to go to html/rtf and convert from there.

But if opf works, you get everything from the lit file (images, toc, notes)
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Lit have to be converted; best is with convert gui to do opf and then convert to imp from there.

Sometimes the opf master file is not properly done when the lit file is prepared, and then it's better to use amber lit to go to html/rtf and convert from there.

But if opf works, you get everything from the lit file (images, toc, notes)
Even if the opf doesn't work you can build a new one easily in eBook Publisher by just selecting and importing the files.

Dale
Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Even if the opf doesn't work you can build a new one easily in eBook Publisher by just selecting and importing the files.

Dale
I agree that opf is the best format to convert to imp. When I had the Ebk1150 and used it extensively, I converted a lot of books fast, so I used rtf's a lot.

Then of course I got my 770 which displaced Ebk1150 as my main reader (and is still today, with the iTouch secondary for books and main for pdf's, while I rarely use the Sony), but luckily my Ebk1150 found a loving home overseas since my father in law really loved it when he came to visit...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote