Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
rushkk
Edge User

Connected to wireless, but could not connect to internet

I have problem connect to internet. I usually has eDGe connect to internet directly using my home wireless but sometime I use it through proxy ( I had http proxy set). However, today I can not connect to internet (no proxy) even my connection to wireless is fine, it say connected but I can not browse the internet (I use default browser) it keep connecting. Help please.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
rushkk
Edge User

Thank you Borisb. You are Superb, always be a helping hand. I really appreciate your help. I clear the proxy, turn off wifi and browse. It did not work. Wait for 30 minute. Turn Wifi back on, now it work. Seem like the machine had some memory effect on proxy setting. I have to be patient though.

Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
rushkk
Edge User

Another problem encounter,I want to download pdf file attached to my mail using EE (file size 246 kb. Once the dialog box say save as, I enter file name. It said downloding and connecting data for download, but it nothing happen,cursor keep animating. I wait for 20 min. Nothing happen. Cannot download file. Does anyone has this kind of problem.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
walt526
Edge User

I've been able to download file attachments using the stock eDGe email program without any problem (Yahoo, Gmail, and my university). When you download it, are you sure that you aren't ignoring an icon on the notification bar letting you know that it has completed downloading?

My other thought would be to make sure that it's a file type that the eDGe can open (e.g., not some video file whose codec is missing or something). If you transfer the file to the eDGe by using either a flash driver or the USB connection, will it open?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
rushkk
Edge User

Yes, while it said downloading,the notification bar animating but no yellow progression bar for a long period of time. As you recommend, I transfer a pdf file from usb flash drive and it did open Ok. I don't know what to do so far. Just download from PC ,transfer from usb and open in EE. Quite awkward.

Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
OncTech
Edge User

I am having a similar problem to rushkk, but the afforementioned solutions have not worked. I can connect to my institute's wifi, and the institute's interrupt-login still comes up (Basically when you connect to wifi, then navigate to any page, a login page appears instead. Once you login, you can go about your business), but no other connectivity can be achieved. Pages don't load, email can't sync, not even ad-bars in apps load. This is odd because the eDGe has worked just fine for the past month here at work.

My concern is I was trying unsuccessfully to fiddle with my hosts file. You can access and open it with ASTRO, but you cannot replace it, nor save changes to it, do to it being read-only. Nevertheless, this problem did not happen until I tried to mess with it. Are there any tests one can do to determine if it's the hosts file?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
OncTech
Edge User

Oops, looks like it's not the edge; it's the network. Just a coincidence.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Myrin
Edge User

Hello All,

My issue with the PE wifi is that I can connect to an open wifi spot (no Wep) but when trying to connect to an access point with wep the connection is not made. I have looked over the wep key to make sure it is correct and verified that it works on my other devices, but with the PE it does not make a connection. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
M

Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
ivan
Edge User

If you can connect to an open wifi but not to your wep encoded wifi then you need to check - and double check - your wep key. Does it have all the letters/digits - a 128 bit key has 26 letters/digits for example. Have you typed a letter O for a zero and things like that.

I had a client that swore blind his wep key was correct but he couldn't connect. I got him to retype the key and he used letter O in place of zero and there is no way that is ever going to connect. When he corrected that it worked and he had his connection.

Digits can be from 0 to 9 and letters A to F - anything else and you have no connection.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Scotty
Edge User

I am also unable to completely download the update via " Update' on my Pocket Edge and my home wireless is "connected" , idea's
Scotty

Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
I had a client that swore blind his wep key was correct but he couldn't connect. I got him to retype the key and he used letter O in place of zero and there is no way that is ever going to connect. When he corrected that it worked and he had his connection.
That might be the answer to this person's problem...but there are cases where one cannot connect, in spite of using the correct password. Could be a glitch in the network, the user device, or the host device. Often, the problem clears up on its own, later that day or the next. Sometimes a simple reset of the router clears things up.

In short: I wouldn't take the Micro$oft approach and automatically assume it's a user blunder.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrin View Post
My issue with the PE wifi is that I can connect to an open wifi spot (no Wep) but when trying to connect to an access point with wep the connection is not made. I have looked over the wep key to make sure it is correct and verified that it works on my other devices, but with the PE it does not make a connection. Any ideas or suggestions.
Welcome to the forums, Myrin

First, I'm going to assume you do mean "WEP" and not "WPA". Secondly, I'll assume you have the "Show Password" option checked so that you can verify easily what password you've typed. Lastly, you can try to play with the "Shared key" setting, and the last option of Auto/WEP Ascii/WEP hexadecimal. If you're not seeing these, long-tap and "Forget" your existing connection and then tap "Add new connection" at the bottom of the WIFI Settings screen.

If all else fails, you can contact www.entourageedge.com/support on Monday for assistance.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I am also unable to completely download the update via " Update' on my Pocket Edge and my home wireless is "connected" , idea's
Scotty
Can you access websites okay with the Browser? If so, try shutting down and restarting your eDGe and try again. It's also not unheard of for there to be various network problems between here and enTourage's servers...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
ivan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewterbot9 View Post
That might be the answer to this person's problem...but there are cases where one cannot connect, in spite of using the correct password. Could be a glitch in the network, the user device, or the host device. Often, the problem clears up on its own, later that day or the next. Sometimes a simple reset of the router clears things up.

In short: I wouldn't take the Micro$oft approach and automatically assume it's a user blunder.
Is that the MS approach? We don't use that here - OS/2 only, though we have an EE on test.

In my experience 99% of non connections to a secured network, when a connection to an unsecured network works, is because the operator does not type the key in correctly. If the key is verified correct and there is still no connection then you have to look for other causes like signal strength, antenna orientation, etc.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
borisb
Edge User

Over the holidays I had access only to a very weak wifi signal. Sometimes it showed "Failed to obtain address", which really meant "the connection dropped before an address coudl be obtained". Retrying usually fixed it (although the connection always eventually dropped since it was so weak).