Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1201
Yvrreader
Yvrreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Suggestions for Kobo Glo Hd

After a few days with this reader I'm pretty happy with the screen and its front light. Three things screaming for improvement:

1) Speed up page refreshes! Compared to the Sony T3, this thing is a slug.

2) A customizable sleep screen would be nice so that I can identify the reader as belonging to me.

3) It should be possible to lock the device with a simple passcode.
Yvrreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #1202
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Thumbs up Default dictionary

I would suggest to let the user choose the default dictionary he wants to use. When opening a new book the dictionary could return to Kobo default, but not while reading.

Still concerning dictionary: Why doesn't Kobo let the user have his own language, so sideloaded dictionaries can be used without tricks?!
During sync it would be nice if dictionaries were not synced.
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #1203
Yvrreader
Yvrreader began at the beginning.

After upgrading to firmware 3.17, the page-turns/screen refresh is now slightly faster than when I posted my first message.

Last edited by Yvrreader; 08-15-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Yvrreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #1204
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Glo HD, 3.17+

Collapsible TOCs, ala ADE. Or, at least, indents on sub-chapter headings.
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #1205
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Full Screen Mode

could you please implement a full screen mode in a future firmware, that works perfectly with epub and kepub, so that there is no need for work arounds or patches.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-22-2015 at 01:38 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2015, 06:06 AM   #1206
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Glo HD

• When viewing a document that overflows the screen height, the next page action should: move the view port one screen down if it hasn't reach to bottom of the page, otherwise go to the next page and move the view port at the top of it (the previous page action should do the opposite: move the view port up or go to the previous page and move the view port to its bottom).
  • Provide a way to crop the default margins of PDF documents.
  • When viewing a detail of a large image, it might be worth having touch gesture (2-fingers tap?) to move the view port by one screen in one of the four possible directions.
  • The page headers and footers should be optional.
  • The EPUB margins should always be customizable.
  • It seems that the document orientation is guessed from the first page : this is a problem when a document has heterogeneous page aspect ratios.
  • When opening a text file: assume UTF-8 by default.
  • There should be a rotate counterclockwise icon next to the existing rotate clockwise icon.

Last edited by baskerville; 08-30-2015 at 06:17 AM.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #1207
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
More Tap Zone Choices

It's been requested before, but I thought I'd ask again -- I'd love a tap zone choice set up for my H20 that taps anywhere on the page to page forward (other than center bottom for settings). That way, I can hold my reader in either hand and easily page forward with a tap. Currently, if holding in my left hand, I need to do a small (and fairly easy, I admit) swipe to do that.

I rarely page backwards, so I'd be perfectly content to have to swipe right to do that -- but have all taps page forward. A swipe left would still page forward though.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #1208
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
That way, I can hold my reader in either hand and easily page forward with a tap.
Are you holding the device at the top or at the bottom? The 4th tap zone option is the one that lets you tap using either hand, only the bottom third is forward and the top third is backward (and middle is menu). But the zones are the same for either hand so - one could get used to it.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #1209
canopian
canopian began at the beginning.

I'd love an alarm function on my Kobo Glo HD... a time i could set to have a message come up on the screen... so i could read without the distraction of having to keep an eye on the time
canopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #1210
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
An alarm setting like that could indeed be useful. Me, I'd like a small icon that you could activate on the sleep/off screen that shows up when charging and goes away when you either hit full charge or disconnect the power. (Emphasis on "small icon" - as in, not the ugly box that blocks out my nice full-screen cover art.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #1211
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
# Highlighting and Annotations

- I would love a way to change the display mode of annotated and highlighted text in a book. I don't like the contrast my Aura HD displays on highlights and annotations while reading —*it makes it harder for me to read.

- Evernote export for Highlights/Notes and Annotations would be amazeballs.
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #1212
pakoe
pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo mini
If you'd like an HTML export, here it is (Windows .bat file requiring sqlite3.exe, which is free, and you need to adjust the paths, of course):
C:\Programs\sqlite3.exe "G:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite" "select (case when datecreated=maxdate then (' <b><i><u>' || replace(replace(volumeid,'file:///mnt/onboard/',''),'.epub','') || '</u></i></b><br>' || char(10)) else '' end), ''''||substr(cast(datecreated as text),4,16), text, annotation, '<br>' from ( select *, (select max(datecreated) from bookmark where volumeid=bm.volumeid and (text<>'' or annotation<>'')) maxdate from bookmark bm where (text<>'' or annotation<>'') order by maxdate desc, volumeid, datecreated desc )" > "C:\Documents and settings\user\Desktop\annot.html"
pause

Last edited by pakoe; 09-19-2015 at 04:58 AM.
pakoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 AM   #1213
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
The point of having an Evernote send-off in the device itself would be to avoid having to pull, yank and make sense of the text dumps out of the database.

Right now I can just do that in Calibre and my stylesheet in Calibre's annotations plugin makes them look downright lovely, but I'm still having to copy them out and send them to DEVONthink or Evernote manually. If Calibre was an actual OS X application with support for Services and Automator it'd be cake but alas.
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #1214
TheZephyr
TheZephyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Custom screensavers please. The cover art is nice but usually doesn't really fit the screen and it looks kinda off. I'd love to put some images of my choosing

Last edited by TheZephyr; 09-23-2015 at 09:05 AM.
TheZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #1215
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZephyr View Post
Custom screensavers please. The cover art is nice but usually doesn't really fit the screen and it looks kinda off. I'd love to put some images of my choosing
The solution is to change the cover image to one of your choosing. Oh and it's not a screensaver as there is nothing to save.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo