Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
French-English Dictionary

I'm a comlete beginner to using E-Books.
I've bought a Kindle DX and equipped it with the Mirium-Webster French to English translating dictionary. It works fine excepting that it's vocabulary is rather limited.
Is it possible to edit that dictionary and add new words & definitions? I have an excellent (Harrap's) dictionary on my PC and it would be nice to copy & paste into the Mirium-Webster.
Alernatively, is there a better French to English dictionary or, a purely French one, that will work as my default dictionary?
Incidently, the reason I'm brushing up my very rusty French is that I live in Crete, where all the best TV channels are in that language!
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Hello, Ebenist.

You won't be very happy reading my reply...
As far as I know, you can't edit an aready built dictionary and paste new definitions. The only solution I see to this is to convert the binary file to HTML, edit that HTML and then rebuild the dictionary again; but it looks a little complicated and not really worth the trouble.
I have been looking for a good French dictionary since I've got my Kindle. So far no luck, there is indeed a free one available but it's almost a century old (and very basic, I like a Kindle default dictionary to display a definition if you put the cursor on an inflection of a word too).
Kindle is not a perfect solution for non-english users yet. Ah, and there are no folders
I know there are French dictionaries available for PC, and maybe I could get their definitions out, but I think that would be illegal...

If somebody could provide me a source with good French definitions (besides rich definitions, inflections would be nice) I'd be more than happy to build a good French dictionary (formatting, features, etc.), so anybody can use it for free. But Google could not help me find such a source yet. French users could really use the idea from a nice open project like dexonline.ro (where romanian voluntiers added in time definitions from different dictionaries, and now it is such a mature project...).
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate.
Regards,

Last edited by LucasCorso; 04-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Dear Lucas Corso,
Many thanks for your detailled reply. As you say, the conversion/modification process is complicated. Certainly beyond my limited computer expertise. Perhaps if a competent person started it off, sections could be farmed out to those , lesser skilled, to do the spade work.
As a compromise, what I'm doing now is to keep my laptop running, while I'm reading the Kindle and use the Harrap's on my hard-drive. If the Harrap's does not have the word I'm seeking, I've found a site called www.dictionaryreverso.net to be the most likely site to give me what I'm looking for.
On a slightly different subject; I've been looking for a French source of E=books. I particularly want to obtain book by Marcel Pagnol. Have you any ideas?
Kind regards.
Ebenist
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote